Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,858 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My fiance and I are looking to get out of the midwest and move somewhere that will support the type of lifestyle we are looking for. Idaho seems very appealing for several reasons (outdoors, mountains, four MILDER seasons, community in Idaho seems more laid back and a slower pace, lots of amazing things to do in neighboring states, I was reading that (correct me If I am mis-informed) people are more of free thinkers).

I would like to understand more of the vibe, nitty gritty and wonderful charm this state has. We have both lived in various places around the US (me-portland, seattle, san diego, sacramento, indianapolis) and my fiance (wisconsin, sarasota,fl, palm coast, fl, illinois, indianapolis). The midwest is tiring- the extreme weather is not pleasant, very religious and pushy, chain restaurant mecca, concrete man-made jungle all around us & nothing visually pleasing or stimulating here. We are lucky if we see a deer (which in our area is RARE & sad!)

We would love to be able to go hiking, snowboarding, 4-wheel, fish, hunt (fiance), biking, grow a garden, visit wildlife parks, have access to organic farmers markets and fresh food and friendly neighbors. We are not so much into the bar hopping scene (as you can probably tell) so nightlife for us is something that's not incredibly important to us unless we decided to get "wild" and venture into the city for a night.

We are a mid-20's couple, wanting to settle and in the future start a family..are looking to purchase a bit of land and build an earthen home here. I understand this is non- traditional, however we are people who love outdoors and want very much to live as much as possible off our land. I see a lot of land up in the Kendrick, Santa areas for sale for very cheap...What is the story on this area?

As far as weather, I am more interested in the lower region of Idaho (around Boise, perhaps) where weather is less extreme than up north.

So, my questions in summary are- Is there a progressive, artsy area in Idaho where sustainability is important that is close to areas we can buy wooded acres (around 45 minute distance)? My fiance works as a service writer for Honda, I am a banker so being near areas where we have this type of work is important and are willing to drive a bit to get to work.

Thank you in advance!

Brittany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
Progressive and Idaho don't usually go in the same sentence.

The further south you go the more conservative the state gets.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Hi, Brittany…
Your idea of 'remote' sounds like it's a lot different than an Idahoan's definition. Remote here is any place that's 40 miles away from the city limits in most places here. And remote means really remote; no services, very few people, and often no cell phone reception.

Building an earthen home would most likely not be a problem anywhere in the state except in within city limits. It would all depend on the design and the local building codes.

It seems to me that you would be happier being closer to one of our towns than in a place like Santa. I'm a 5th generation native, and I never knew until now that Santa existed, so it must be hell for small. A lot of towns here are nothing more than a post office, a gas station and a bar/café.

The best thing you can do is come up and plan to spend at least a couple of weeks traveling our state from one end to the other. Idaho is actually 2 states that are divided by impassible mountain ranges. Our weather is not milder than the midwest, and it reaches extremes quite regularly, but it's all dry- we don't have much humidity here anywhere.

Self-sufficiency here is more than a way of life; a degree of self-sufficiency is needed by everyone who lives here because this is a big state with few residents, and most of our space is nothing but remote. You would fit right in just about anywhere here, but only if you have a realistic picture of how life is here.

Most visitors find us friendly, polite, and somewhat reserved. That's what comes from being able to climb a hill and seeing a mountaintop that is 100 miles away, and spending a lot of time with no other folks around for miles and miles. For sure, no place you have lived in before is like Idaho. Only you can decide.

Hang out here, read through the topics in this section, and feel free to ask lots of questions. The more you know before you come visit, the better the time here will be for you.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust_ View Post

As far as weather, I am more interested in the lower region of Idaho (around Boise, perhaps) where weather is less extreme than up north.

So, my questions in summary are- Is there a progressive, artsy area in Idaho where sustainability is important that is close to areas we can buy wooded acres (around 45 minute distance)? My fiance works as a service writer for Honda, I am a banker so being near areas where we have this type of work is important and are willing to drive a bit to get to work.

Thank you in advance!

Brittany
Boise is your best choice if you're looking for a progressive artsy area. The city also has the most liberal neighborhoods in the state. If you want to live in the woods it is possible within 45 mn from the city but the highway into the mountains is winding.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

It seems to me that you would be happier being closer to one of our towns than in a place like Santa. I'm a 5th generation native, and I never knew until now that Santa existed, so it must be hell for small. A lot of towns here are nothing more than a post office, a gas station and a bar/café.

I thought the same thing. Never heard of Santa, Idaho before, and I'm a 3rd generation Idahoan. I went and looked it up. Still couldn't find anything. Even the census bureau listed no information I could find. Found one reference that said 300 people. The entire county has less than 10k people, so that is a possibility. Kendrick, on the other hand, I have heard of somewhere, sometime. Bing says it is population 303 in the 2010 census.

That tells you just HOW remote you are talking. When the towns have only 300 people, you really are in the middle of nowhere. Also, don't underestimate the size of the state. From Kendrick, you're a 1/2 hour drive to Lewiston, the nearest town of any real size, in good weather. In the wintertime, it may not even be driveable. From Santa, you're more than an hour to either Coeur d'Alene or to Moscow, again in good conditions. In both cases, those are mountain roads, which get winter. You've stated you are looking for milder weather. 3 seasons will be mild there, but they do get winter, for sure. Expect the roads to be closed at least once a winter.

I've never lived in that part of the state, so I don't know how progressive they are. Not a lot of neighbors, so I don't know that it would be an issue either way. Boise, specifically the north end of Boise is definitely the most progressive part of the state. There are woods within 45 minutes of town, where you could build what you are wanting, that are still pretty remote, but the land will cost more than the more remote areas of the state.

I agree with others though, if you have never visited Idaho before, you may be underestimating the meaning of the word "remote". The entire state has fewer people than some of the cities you mentioned you lived in (about 1.6 million in the 2010 census I think). For example, the Indianapolis metro area has more people than our entire state. And a huge share of the population of our state lives within 50 miles of Boise (about 600k-700k people). That leaves A LOT of state for the other 1 million people to be spread out in, most of whom are clustered in a dozen or so other towns around the large state. Rural is really rural here.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Boise is your best choice if you're looking for a progressive artsy area. The city also has the most liberal neighborhoods in the state. If you want to live in the woods it is possible within 45 mn from the city but the highway into the mountains is winding.
Boise may be progressive compared to most of the state, but that doesn't mean it is progressive. For instance, 34% of church goers are LDS. Another 28% are Catholic. Hardly groups known for progressive views. My town, Moscow, is usually considered far more liberal. It can also make a decent claim on being artsy, with the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, Artwalk, etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM

I was in Santa last summer scouting some back woods property. It is VERY remote. Their might be a bar, but no other businesses in town. No grocery store or anything like that. Lots of snow in the winter. Towns on paved roads don't get more remote.

I also live near Kendrick. 30 minutes is accurate for the drive to Lewiston. Kendrick is a nice community. Downtown is still alive, with some shops, bars, grocery store. The drive to Lewiston is rarely effected by weather. Elevation is usually to low for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I thought the same thing. Never heard of Santa, Idaho before, and I'm a 3rd generation Idahoan. I went and looked it up. Still couldn't find anything. Even the census bureau listed no information I could find. Found one reference that said 300 people. The entire county has less than 10k people, so that is a possibility. Kendrick, on the other hand, I have heard of somewhere, sometime. Bing says it is population 303 in the 2010 census.

That tells you just HOW remote you are talking. When the towns have only 300 people, you really are in the middle of nowhere. Also, don't underestimate the size of the state. From Kendrick, you're a 1/2 hour drive to Lewiston, the nearest town of any real size, in good weather. In the wintertime, it may not even be driveable. From Santa, you're more than an hour to either Coeur d'Alene or to Moscow, again in good conditions. In both cases, those are mountain roads, which get winter. You've stated you are looking for milder weather. 3 seasons will be mild there, but they do get winter, for sure. Expect the roads to be closed at least once a winter.

I've never lived in that part of the state, so I don't know how progressive they are. Not a lot of neighbors, so I don't know that it would be an issue either way. Boise, specifically the north end of Boise is definitely the most progressive part of the state. There are woods within 45 minutes of town, where you could build what you are wanting, that are still pretty remote, but the land will cost more than the more remote areas of the state.

I agree with others though, if you have never visited Idaho before, you may be underestimating the meaning of the word "remote". The entire state has fewer people than some of the cities you mentioned you lived in (about 1.6 million in the 2010 census I think). For example, the Indianapolis metro area has more people than our entire state. And a huge share of the population of our state lives within 50 miles of Boise (about 600k-700k people). That leaves A LOT of state for the other 1 million people to be spread out in, most of whom are clustered in a dozen or so other towns around the large state. Rural is really rural here.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Boise may be progressive compared to most of the state, but that doesn't mean it is progressive. For instance, 34% of church goers are LDS. Another 28% are Catholic. Hardly groups known for progressive views. My town, Moscow, is usually considered far more liberal. It can also make a decent claim on being artsy, with the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, Artwalk, etc.
I spent a few years in Moscow attending U of I and can vouch that Boise is a lot more liberal, mainly certain areas of town. The Northend next to downtown is the states most liberal neighborhood and almost has the same population as the entire town of Moscow. There are areas of Boise that are more conservative and other areas more mid ground and areas more liberal. The liberals and conservatives here balance each other out.

Boise is a progressive city and I think it safe that it would be considered this even if not in Idaho. IMO progressive in Boise means the huge local organic food scene, the health nuts (Boise has been ranked one of the healthiest cities in the nation), the large cycling and mountain biking community, spandex here is a fashion statement, there is the large art scene, more yoga studios and sushi restaurants then you can shake a stick at, The Flicks independent movie theatre, numerous local indie movie festivals, wine bars, a fast growing local microbrew scene, high end cocktail only bars for the creative people, the growing local indie music scene which has gained national attention, geothermal power hooked up to dozens of homes and downtown buildings and BSU, our Jazz Festival, Tour de Fat, dozens of other yearly city festivals, The Idaho Green Fest, the push for smart growth and infill in downtown, one of the finest park systems in the country including the Greenbelt. Boise voted in the states first openly gay senator and most recently the states first African American legislator. There is a definite progressive vibe in Boise but outside of the city the rest of the Boise Metro feels just like the rest of the state. Moscow has a more liberal vibe then most of the rest of the state but not more then Boise and this is because of the size difference.

I could go on and on but the main indicator Boise is progressive is that we have an Urban Outfitters in downtown
. Another example is the City of Boise flew the gay pride flag at city hall plaza last June during gay pride.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM

We are measuring in two different ways. Certainly Boise has progressive neighborhoods. It has enough population to run the entire gamut. I'm saying that percentage wise, Moscow leans far more liberal. I could take your second paragraph and nearly match it line for line with Moscow progressive equivalents; and we have 190000 fewer residents.

organic food scene-check
health nuts-UI was rated one of the best outdoor campuses-check
recycling-check
Mountain Biking-Lots of trails-check
art scene-check
Spandex-you win on this one. Thank god.
Yoga-we have several studios-check
Sushi-I can think of three restaurants-check
Independent movie theatre-check
Wine bars and microbrew-check and check
Yearly city festivals-Renn Faire, Hemp Fest (!) and several others along with concerts in the park, plays, etc.-check
We are also the former home of a nation wide gay rights group. Our state gov't reps tend to be democrats. I believe (but was to lazy to check) that most Boise area state reps are republican.

Either way, we are off on a tangent. Both towns are WAY more progressive than most of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I spent a few years in Moscow attending U of I and can vouch that Boise is a lot more liberal, mainly certain areas of town. The Northend next to downtown is the states most liberal neighborhood and almost has the same population as the entire town of Moscow. There are areas of Boise that are more conservative and other areas more mid ground and areas more liberal. The liberals and conservatives here balance each other out.

Boise is a progressive city and I think it safe that it would be considered this even if not in Idaho. IMO progressive in Boise means the huge local organic food scene, the health nuts (Boise has been ranked one of the healthiest cities in the nation), the large cycling and mountain biking community, spandex here is a fashion statement, there is the large art scene, more yoga studios and sushi restaurants then you can shake a stick at, The Flicks independent movie theatre, numerous local indie movie festivals, wine bars, a fast growing local microbrew scene, high end cocktail only bars for the creative people, the growing local indie music scene which has gained national attention, geothermal power hooked up to dozens of homes and downtown buildings and BSU, our Jazz Festival, Tour de Fat, dozens of other yearly city festivals, The Idaho Green Fest, the push for smart growth and infill in downtown, one of the finest park systems in the country including the Greenbelt. Boise voted in the states first openly gay senator and most recently the states first African American legislator. There is a definite progressive vibe in Boise but outside of the city the rest of the Boise Metro feels just like the rest of the state. Moscow has a more liberal vibe then most of the rest of the state but not more then Boise and this is because of the size difference.

I could go on and on but the main indicator Boise is progressive is that we have an Urban Outfitters in downtown
. Another example is the City of Boise flew the gay pride flag at city hall plaza last June during gay pride.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
We are measuring in two different ways.

Either way, we are off on a tangent. Both towns are WAY more progressive than most of the state.
It appears we are measuring in different ways because "progressive" can have several meanings and is subjective.

I do not agree that a religious affiliation or political party affiliation means a person is more progressive then another person. I know several Catholics and Mormons who don't have a problem with marijuana and gay marriage and they also want a healthy business community. I know several Republicans who want Boise to progress even more but certain antiquated strange Idaho state laws often inhibit Boise from getting what it as a city needs to move to the next level. I also know Democrats who seem more conservative then Republicans that I know. I am neither, but that isn't what this thread is about.

I've lived outside of Idaho for a good part of my adult life (I'm in my 30's) in larger cities and in Europe for a bit and my take is Boise is progressive. I am part of the Couch Surfers network and on occasion host out of state and out of country visitors (most recently from France) traveling through Idaho going here or there and I always hear from them how surprised they are with Boise and that it feels and looks progressive and "hip", I often hear Boise labeled as a small Portland or Denver. These are just peoples opinions but at the end of the day I guess all we have are our own opinions.

What makes a city progressive is the people who live in it and their mindset and desires. Boise is the melting pot of Idaho, the most diverse city and attracts newbies from all over the country other nations, and even from within Idaho. I friend of mine from Blackfoot thinks of Boise as Idaho's little San Fran lol.

But yes, we are on a tangent and somewhat taking this tread off topic.

Idaho is an amazing state and has some really cool small towns and Moscow is one of the nicer small towns in the state imo and does have its own version of a liberal vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: