Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 15,523 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, ill be 24 next month, born & raised in phoenix and quite frankly i love it here, minus the heat. Im a big outdoors guy (camping, fishing, hunting, riding, adventuring, etc.) and with arizona's boom in the past ten or so years, we just dont have it here. Especially when compared to other places ive been (oahu hawaii, missouri, california, texas, colorado) unless you just like riding, arizona just isnt the place.
Im also a big fan of four seasons and somewhat of a small town vibe where people smile and wave. I guess you could say im a bit tired of living in the city and maintaining a fast paced lifestyle.

Some people say "but your so young!"
I suppose different people prefer different things right?

Im also in school for hvac/r and will be done in may, maybe perfect timing to take advantage of the summer getting established? Also how is the job market for that up there?
Although i dont consider myself an "extremist" i do have generally conservative views, consider myself a christian and shot my first gun when i was 6 so you could say im not one to freakout when Mr joe somebody open carries in mcdonalds :P
I want to surround myself with likeminded individuals in a slower paced environment.

Only i can hurt my feelings so go ahead and ask questions or give me some tips, feedback, or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
You can expect some difficulty growing used to Idaho winters, but that doesn't last long for the folks who move here and stick. Other than that, I'm sure you would love living here!

The only way to actually understand where is best for you is to come and plan on spending at least 2 weeks. A month is better, and you really need to see the state from one end to the other.It really helps if you do a lot of homework first, and City Data is a good place to start. Check out all the Idaho stats on the home page, and spend time in this forum. What you see here is pretty close to what you will see face to face.

Idaho is cut in half by huge impassible mountains. The north, center, and south are all so different they are like separate states. Each region has it's own cultural differences, costs of living, employment, etc.

The only things in common are wilderness, low population, lots of empty nature, and a self-sufficient culture shared by everyone. We are a polite and reserved bunch of folks here, and there is no place lie it in the lower 48.

Boise and the surrounding Treasure Valley is the only real metro area in the state, and it's less than half the size of the Phoenix metro. N. Idaho's largest city is Coeur d'Alene, with about 46,000 people, and the southeast edge of the state, known as the Snake River corridor, has 2 large cities, Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Both are about the size of C d'A. The last large city is Twin Falls, on the southwest edge. It's about 35,000.

Scenery here has another definition altogether. We have the deepest canyon, ranges of high mountains, the largest lava flows in the U.S. outside of Hawaii, and everything is jaw dropping. The entire state is only slightly wetter than Arizona too- instead of desert, most of the state is high steppe, covered with sagebrush, and there are huge farms throughout the state.
While summers can hit 100º, the Boise area is the only place those temps are common. Most summers are in the high 80's to mid 90's at the hottest. Winters are cold, and temps can go down to far below zero, but most winters hover around freezing. Spring is muddy, fall is spectacular, and Indian summers are ver common.

You selected a very good field! Right now, southern Idaho is doing slightly better in employment than the north, but HVAC is work that's always needed. Your timing is excellent.

At your age, I think you could find work in one area, check it out more of the state for a while and could move to another area if you stay light and don't haul a bunch of stuff around with you. It could also be a possibility to take a traveling job for an HVAC company that would expose you to different places here.

Ironically, Arizona is a very popular place for Idaho snowbirds. Who knows? You might be able to land something that would allow you to get the best of both states.

I'm a native, and I've lived in other places, sometimes for years, but I've always come back home, and I'm never rambling again. Old Mother Idaho has been very good to me and my family for a very long time.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 15,523 times
This was awesome Banjomike thanks for that! Ive spent quite a while on city data before signing up, this site is an incredible source for information and ive referred it to everyone interested in traveling!

I was also looking on CL a bit at the housing and ive found decent looking mobile homes for 200-300 a month in say "mountain home" or even Boise. Although im not 100% inclined to a mobile home its definitely not an issue for me and im quite used to the "stack & starve" method if you know what i mean (Save money, spend hardly any). Working an hvac job, especially a traveling one i imagine i can make a decent living in something like that, but in phoenix a $300/mo mobile home will get you smack dab in the middle of tweaker central and its just not somewhere anyone stable in the head would wanna be lol.

Also how many close by spots are there to go fishing? Say if i wanted to pack up my mountain bike get my backpack & go?
Not too possible here in phoenix lol

Also, hows the social life out there for an attractive 24 year old christian caucasian?
Ive been reading a bit and it sounds like people are very "surface friendly" but never really come around to hang out.

Also ive read something that Idaho has some of the lowest wages in the nation, would anyone have any idea how a starting hvac tech would be making?

I know out here i would start out making anywhere from 15-18 an hour plus service fee's & everything else.
Ive never really lived like a king so to speak, so my expectations of building an empire out there arent very big.
Im just looking to relax for a year or so, and at the same time not be stuck having one or two service calls maybe a month making 12 an hour.

Thanks everyone!
If you have anything else banjo mike im all eyes & ears my friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho