Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Try this place for breakfast, it's been awhile since I eaten there. Looks like same owner and the time we eat it was really good.
Bert and Kate's Cattlemen's Family Restaurant, Riggins - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Other than that you will have to wait until New Meadows and there's a little diner there thats not bad.

Granite Mountain Cafe, New Meadows - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Yes, shepherds Have a safe trip!
Thanks!! I'm a little nervous about the grade, but I think if we take it slow we should be fine. White Bird is at the bottom of the grade, right??? At least that's what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Thanks! There's a little campground with RV hook-ups, on the river at White Bird. We're going to stay there for two nites. Just because. I was looking for somewhere in the middle between Boise and Hayden that wasn't an RV Park.
I was just googling Back Eddy Grill. Sounds great for burgers and shakes. They don't serve breakfast. We'll probably be going thru Riggins before they open for lunch.
If you're at all into the history of the West, you're in for a treat in White Bird. Read about the Battle of White Bird Canyon here:
Battle of White Bird Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a good (if somewhat neglected) historical marker display half way down the grade, explaining the entire battle (between the US 1st Cavalry and the Nez Perce Indians), and the exciting thing is that everything looks pretty much the same now! It is so easy to imagine the battle going on below. It may be tough to stop there with a trailer, but maybe you can drive up the hill after unhooking the trailer later on. And down in the valley there are markers where the battlefield was, and a public trail. The first picture is the trail, the second is a view of the grade from the historical marker. White Bird is in the middle of the picture, among the trees at the bottom of the grade.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the Best Route??-white-bird-battlefield.jpg   What's the Best Route??-white-bird-grade.jpg  

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
If you're at all into the history of the West, you're in for a treat in White Bird. Read about the Battle of White Bird Canyon here:
There is a good (if somewhat neglected) historical marker display half way down the grade, explaining the entire battle (between the US 1st Cavalry and the Nez Perce Indians), and the exciting thing is that everything looks pretty much the same now! It is so easy to imagine the battle going on below. It may be tough to stop there with a trailer, but maybe you can drive up the hill after unhooking the trailer later on. And down in the valley there are markers where the battlefield was, and a public trail. The first picture is the trail, the second is a view of the grade from the historical marker. White Bird is in the middle of the picture, among the trees at the bottom of the grade.
Wow. That's a beautiful picture of the grade. It's a little itimidating. We did the Grapevine in Southern California once, with the trailer. That's 5 1/2 miles at 6% grade. It wasn't bad.

I'll read up on the battle. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Thanks!! I'm a little nervous about the grade, but I think if we take it slow we should be fine. White Bird is at the bottom of the grade, right??? At least that's what I was thinking.
Yes, it looks like a big crater hole You will look down into the town as you are coming down. We ride our motorcycle up and down and I get nervous, my husband never does not sure about pulling a trailer. People do seem to go through that way with big RV's and such. You could always call one of the RV places and ask questions people around that area are willing to tell you about the area.

Their job is...... tourist!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
In June it's still pretty green, unless they have less snow than us, then it may turn brown sooner. All and all it's still beautiful and once they start following the river is amazing!

Lots of history in between Riggins and Lewiston, we have yet to stop and read all the road signs, but they are interesting. We like the story describing the Seven Devils Canyon........The Seven Devils Mountains, a Nez Perce legend | Western Perspective Press, LLCWestern Perspective Press, LLC

The Seven Devils Mountains, a Nez Perce legend
The story goes that the Seven Devils Mountains were once seven giant, child-eating monsters living in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Each year the monsters travled east, devouring Nez Perce children in their path. According to Nez Perce legend, the tribe’s chiefs asked Coyote to help free the children from the tyranny of the seven giants, and Coyote asked his friend Fox for advice.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
In June it's still pretty green, unless they have less snow than us, then it may turn brown sooner. All and all it's still beautiful and once they start following the river is amazing!

Lots of history in between Riggins and Lewiston, we have yet to stop and read all the road signs, but they are interesting. We like the story describing the Seven Devils Canyon........The Seven Devils Mountains, a Nez Perce legend | Western Perspective Press, LLCWestern Perspective Press, LLC

The story goes that the Seven Devils Mountains were once seven giant, child-eating monsters living in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Each year the monsters travled east, devouring Nez Perce children in their path. According to Nez Perce legend, the tribe’s chiefs asked Coyote to help free the children from the tyranny of the seven giants, and Coyote asked his friend Fox for advice.
Clearly not a bedtime story!!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM

276 posts, read 644,214 times
Quote:
Most legend is based in historical fact.
Giants in the Old Testament - Answers in Genesis
Yes, I'm one of "those".
Sorry for the hijack, I couldn't resist.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Just a thought there is also another way if you don't want to go through McCall. You can take a right in New Meadows and head toward Weiser. This highway is not windy except a few miles in Goose Creek Canyon.
This way is about 30 mins longer to Boise. You will miss the canyon and HorseShoe Bend Grade. The HorseShoe Bend Grade is not bad going down, not near as steep as WhiteBird.

Quote:
Clearly not a bedtime story!!
The museum outside of Lewiston is very interesting. They sell books and whats funny this story "The Fox and Coyote" was a favorite bedtime story for my boys when they were 6 & 10 .

Travel | Nez Perce museum in Spalding, Idaho, a hub for tribe's history | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Most legend is based in historical fact.
Giants in the Old Testament - Answers in Genesis
Yes, I'm one of "those".
Sorry for the hijack, I couldn't resist.
Interesting isn't it......from your link could you imagine seeing one of these on a walk.
scorpions (e.g., the sea scorpion Jaekelopterus, estimated at more than 8 feet long)

rats (e.g., Josephoartigasia, with a conservatively estimated body mass of 750 pounds)

frogs (e.g. Beelzebufo, 16 inches high)

Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM

*Update*
Thank you, Idaho!!!
We had a wonderful trip. Spent a full week in Idaho. Stayed in Hayden. Took a drive as far north as Sandpoint. Then we headed south on 95. OH YES, those were a couple fun grades to drive down, but the scenery was stunning! We stayed in White Bird, on the Salmon River, for a couple days then down to our friend's house, outside of Boise, via McCall. I must say that the entire drive was really spectatular!
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. We loved your home, Idaho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho