Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times

Advertisements

Many of you are familiar with our beautiful, peaceful corner of NID, Clark Fork. Some of you are actually present or former residents (hi neighbor!). I know some of you have been thinking about retiring there. So I thought I'd share this news with you that I stumbled upon in the Bonner County Daily Bee the other day:

Work center plan draws objections - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News

Quote:
A proposed counseling center southeast of Clark Fork is facing significant opposition from neighboring landowners and adjacent residents.
The Bonner County Planning & Zoning Commission is conducting a public hearing on the planned North Idaho Work Academy on Thursday, Oct. 23. The hearing is set for 6 p.m. at Hope Elementary School.

Bruce Boudousquie is seeking a conditional-use permit to operate the facility on a 21-acre parcel owned by Billey and Rhetta Anderson. The parcel is located off Lone Cedar Lane, which is on the south side of the Clark Fork River near the Montana border.
The facility would be decidedly spartan, according to Bonner County Planning Department records. There will be five bunk houses, a common area, a vault toilet and a shower. The site will not have a land-line phone, electricity or pressurized water service.
The center’s purpose, according to a land-use application narrative, aims to help guests develop self-worth, confidence, work ethic and interpersonal skills. It will serve both families and individuals.
Participation in the program is strictly voluntary and those convicted of violent, sexual or drug-related felony charges will not be admitted. Minors will be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
“The center is not a drug/alcohol treatment facility; however, participants may have some issues related to drugs/alcohol,” the narrative said.
Letters are coming in to the Bonner County Planning Department (P&Z), protesting the plans. Our Mayor Chris Riggins of Clark Fork is against the plans, and so is our sheriff.

As it is now, the south side of the river is quiet and peaceful. With the influx of 20+ people with problems, I'd be constantly worried that our house might be broken into/damaged in our absence, and while we are on our property our personal safety would be of concern to us. I know it's a NIMBY kind of reaction, because I think work centers/rehab centers are a wonderful invention, but not in the middle of a well-functioning, peaceful neighborhood with families and retirees. Apparently the planners are presenting the center as being in the middle of nowhere--but it isn't. There are plenty of homes in the area (hidden in the trees, also "without land-line phones, electricity or pressurized water service." That doesn't make it "middle of nowhere." ) A center such as that might change the ambiance (and reputation!) of our little neighborhood forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Well, peaceful--aside from occasional cougars, bears, and wolves!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:18 PM

551 posts, read 804,361 times
Sorry to hear about the planned center in your neighborhood. Hopefully the permit won't be issued after having the hearing. Are you going to try and make it up there for the hearing?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:57 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
We have a few homes in our town here in CA that are used as "halfway" houses. To give you some context, we live in a small semi-rural island in the midst of the LA basin (1+ acre lots, about 3000 homes, 5500 residents, no commercial development). Our town is lightly policed - we contract with the county Sheriff, and there are no patrols in the town for big chunks of time in the middle of the night. Obviously, there is and continues to be a lot of concern about potential impact on the community.

Fortunately, we've not seen any general increase in our very low crime rate, and no specific incidents that have been tied back to these facilities. So far, so good, but it only will take one incident to make someone's life miserable.

If it can't be stopped altogether, what I would be most concerned about is what conditions are placed in them in order for them to locate there and continue to operate. Are the ongoing conditions that must be satisfied and which would be grounds to close them down if not met? I'd want to be sure than there was some ongoing review of their operations as a condition of continuing to operate in town.

Dave

Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
We lived in a neighborhood in AZ where a woman with a shady past bought a house and planned to put a group home in for Alzheimer's patients. Trouble with her was, she had a habit of bringing residents of her juvenile delinquent group homes and putting them in with the elderly folks and they stole drugs and one girl with Down's Syndrome was gang raped by 2 teen aged sex offenders when they roomed her with them. We got her plans stopped by a referendum. Had to do petitions, etc and a city vote but it worked.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 AM

Oldaf, we won't be able to travel up to NID for the hearing, but we have friends who will probably be able to go.
Misty, I think the voices of the community will be the deciding factor in this case, too, hopefully before, and if that doesn't work, then after the fact.
Dave, that's a really good point. A community "watchdog" review, if the project indeed goes ahead. Which I hope it won't...

Old 11-08-2014, 02:47 PM

I see in the Daily Bee that the Bonner County Planning Commission rejected a conditional use permit for this facility. They said they might consider it on a larger property, so may not be completely dead.

Dave

Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the update! I hadn't seen that. That's very good news! I can't read the whole article online, but I hope if they approve of a larger property, it will be in a truly remote place, and not in our neighborhood!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 AM

276 posts, read 644,325 times
Quote:
Participation in the program is strictly voluntary and those convicted of violent, sexual or drug-related felony charges will not be admitted. Minors will be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
“The center is not a drug/alcohol treatment facility; however, participants may have some issues related to drugs/alcohol,” the narrative said.
I see red flags all over the place with this.

Doesn't seem like their target participants, i.e., troublemakers, would
be into an extended peaceful stay at what amounts to a work camp.

NIMBY all day long. This should be done in a much more remote location.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks for the update! I hadn't seen that. That's very good news! I can't read the whole article online, but I hope if they approve of a larger property, it will be in a truly remote place, and not in our neighborhood!
It didn't sound like the applicant was very optimistic about gaining approval even on a larger property. He seemed to think he'd still have problems with neighbors objecting (apparently some 40 people showed up the meeting to speak against the proposal). The main concern of the commission was the potential impact on neighbors, so I'd guess that remoteness would be a key factor if it ever where to be approved by this commission.

CFF, here's a hint about reading the Daily Bee on line: If you click on the E-Edition button (about 2/3rds of the way across the gray navigation banner at the top of the page) it will take you to a page where you can access all the Daily Bee issues on line. I like to read it every now and again to keep up with the local news up there.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho