Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM

62 posts, read 76,931 times

Advertisements

As a personal disclosure, the only times I've ever been to Idaho have been on road trips, and even then it's just been cruising through the southern part of the state (and one afternoon bumming around Coeur D'Alene). I grew up in metro Denver, have spent a ton of time in the rockies, and enjoy reading a lot of travel literature on the U.S.

After spending a lot of time reading up, I've become fascinated with northern Idaho, specifically the areas around Lake Pend Oreille. I think it's because I've been looking for a place that's got mountain recreation, lake recreation, a cold/mild climate, isn't completely removed from all civilization (i.e. a moderately sized town in the vicinity), and isn't freakishly expensive. Sadly, the Colorado of my youth just gets pricier and pricier all the time, to the point where I don't know if I'll be able to relocate back there, let alone ever purchase a recreational property in the mountains.

I'm not sure if there's another spot in the western U.S. that ticks all my boxes better than northern Idaho. I'm in the very early stages of planning a significant visit to see if it lives up to expectations, or if I've unfairly romanticized what it might be.

We have two young kids: 3 1/2 and 1. My oldest is very much into the outdoors and already becoming a bit of a hiker. My youngest...of course it's too young to tell with her. I think it would be too early to bring them, so I'm thinking next summer when they're 5 and 2.

So I'm wondering, to anyone else who has done it, or to anyone else who lives in northern Idaho:

1) Does Sandpoint/Lake Pend Oreille make for a good family vacation spot? Good activities for the kids?

2) How's the rental market up there? Are there a fair number of people who buy houses in town and rent them out when they're not in use? I'm not sure if we could afford anything waterfront but the prices in town look reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM

212 posts, read 308,777 times
My son was 7 months old the first time we visited NID. My wife and I rented bikes and a bike trailer. He sat (mostly) contently in the trailer as we cruised around town and the lake. It was awesome! Some this worth exploring for you guys.

My family loves Sandpoint. During the summer, we were going to the beach with great frequency. They'd play in the lake for hours. If you come during the 4th of July week, Schweitzer has a summer festival at the resort where you get free ski lift tickets to the summit. The view from up there is incredible. This is something you probably don't want to take your 1 y/o on. We did this a couple of years ago but had the luxury of having grandpa along with us who watched our young'n. There's a great fireworks show at the beach at dusk.

There seems to be plenty of vacation rentals in town that are available during the summer. Check out Sandpont Vacation Rentals and VRBO.

So yes, come on out and bring the kids! There's lot of fun to be had.

Last edited by Publius4; 01-30-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 10:58 AM

356 posts, read 520,398 times
Sandpoint is a FANTASTIC place to vacation with children. We did it twice (one child) before making the permanent move.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:45 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Expat View Post

So I'm wondering, to anyone else who has done it, or to anyone else who lives in northern Idaho:

1) Does Sandpoint/Lake Pend Oreille make for a good family vacation spot? Good activities for the kids?

2) How's the rental market up there? Are there a fair number of people who buy houses in town and rent them out when they're not in use? I'm not sure if we could afford anything waterfront but the prices in town look reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.
It's only natural to romanticize a place like Sandpoint. After the umpteenth time we're written up as prettiest small town in America (etc) there is a real established view of Sandpoint as a great place to live.

And yes...this area is great. And if you visit on July 4th weekend you'll be enraptured and want to sell everything and move here. Then...late February will roll around, and the mud and freezing rain and crappy roads and crappy snow make you think twice about it. It reminds me of what my mother-in-law used to say about SoCal...the Rose Parade brings the relocators...and the fires and earthquakes scare them away.

For me, I like the snow in December/Jan, and I'm willing to put up with the crummy snow and mud/rain/ice in late winter into spring/ mud season for the rest of the year here.

Living here, there are a ton of activities for kids. Not necessarily "city organized", but for an active family, this is an outdoor activity paradise. The hiking in particular is STELLAR.

Can't really comment on the rental market too much since we've never rented.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM

62 posts, read 76,931 times
Thanks for the info. You know, it's interesting, I arrived at my interest in this area completely oblivious to all of the attention it receives as "prettiest place in America."

I simply got out an old U.S. road atlas one day, and worked off the following formula:

1) Cut out the eastern half of the U.S. - too distant, too humid in the summer
2) Cut out places that were too hot in the summer - Arizona, New Mexico
3) Cut out places that were too remote (i.e. not within a 2 hour drive of a moderately sized city that would facilitate air travel) - eliminates most of Wyoming
4) Cut out places that were too expensive - most of the desirable parts of norcal and Colorado, and central Washington, and the few decent spots in Nevada.
5) Looked for the presence of quality lakes
6) Looked at real estate values that might be realistic

What did that leave us?

Patches of Oregon, northern Idaho, and western Montana. And that's pretty much it. After that, Sandpoint trickled to the top pretty quickly.

But after I started researching it, that's when I started noticing it was on the cover of every other issue of Sunset magazine .

Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Rocky Mtn,

1) It is really fantastic. You;ll get goosebumps, not from any chill in the water (not much in Aug), but by the fact that even on warm summer days, you can always find yourself on the Lake with few around you. Have yet to have a guest that is not blown away.

2) Rentals: In places where summers are short and livable and ownable lake front is scarce, rents will be high. Suggestion: Some with another couple. Always great for adults with small kids to share the wonderment with other adults, since the kids really won't care other than to have fun and be with you.

Enjoy!
S.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 AM

448 posts, read 812,913 times
Quote:
1) It is really fantastic. You;ll get goosebumps, not from any chill in the water (not much in Aug), but by the fact that even on warm summer days, you can always find yourself on the Lake with few around you. Have yet to have a guest that is not blown away.
This reminds me of the few times we had guests at my grandparents' place on Lake Coeur d'Alene. Lake CDA is busier and smaller than Lake Pend Oreille, but even so with a lake that big, there was always tons of room to paddle, fish, and ski without constantly bothering/bumping into other people. Anyone we've taken there, including ourselves, are continually impressed.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Expat View Post
2) Cut out places that were too hot in the summer - Arizona, New Mexico

Flagstaff is definitely not too hot in the summer, nor is Sante Fe. And both are drier and sunnier than north Idaho. I love both but lived in Flagstaff before. Tons and tons of snow though. Flag is one of the top snowiest cities in the country.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 PM

38 posts, read 76,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Flagstaff is definitely not too hot in the summer, nor is Sante Fe. And both are drier and sunnier than north Idaho. I love both but lived in Flagstaff before. Tons and tons of snow though. Flag is one of the top snowiest cities in the country.
How long does the snowfall in Flagstaff last? When we were choosing a landing place, that was one of the places we were intrigued by, but no one here knew anything about it. We really could not afford a plane ticket just to visit.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
How long does the snowfall in Flagstaff last? When we were choosing a landing place, that was one of the places we were intrigued by, but no one here knew anything about it. We really could not afford a plane ticket just to visit.

Thanks
Flagstaff is at 7000 feet, one of the reasons they get so much snow, and also one of the reasons the summer temperatures are reasonable. On average they get about 100" of snow per year, and in a typical year they can get snow in November through April.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho