Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

57 posts, read 99,556 times

Advertisements

I am going to try to be quick and not wordy.

Hubby will be retiring in a few months. As soon as rehab is over and we see what the settlement is we may move to another state. I am checking out several, CO has been first as I have family there. WY, UT and Idaho are the other states I am checking out.
WY is out for various reasons. UT I am concerned about the inversion, although since we want elevation at around 5,000 ft I don't think it will bother us too much.

What we are looking for is a home in an area that has some hills. We live in the foothills of the Appalachian MT and need our hills. We don't mind cold, but don't want temps that in the winter drop and stays in the minus area with wind chill factors that makes it feel lower. Here, in mid Jan to mid March we get snow and sleet mixed, temps drop from teens to minus single digits with wind chill factors of -30 to -50 sometimes. We get around a couple of weeks of this, a break and then it can start again.

Summer is horrible, we are hoping to find a place that has low humidity. Mid June to first of Sept we get temps from mid 80s to high 90s and low 100s. August is when it get to the low 100s. Humidity will be the same range. Temp will be 94 and the humidity will be 97%.

That is what is getting to us. The high humidity that keeps us from sitting outside and enjoying the weather and the view of the hills. We live in a small village, pop of just overt 2,000 and even though houses can be close, you can see the hills around you and across the Ohio River.

Neither my husband or I have any major health problems, the normal ones of getting older, some arthritis (that the damp of winter makes painful) and not able to do as much as we did before. Our biggest problem in health is our son. He has Type I diabetes. For some reason many see that as the worst of those with diabetes. Type II is the worst, the pancreas is still working, just not right. And some people seem to not want to control their eating, don't take their medication and let their sugar drop and fall. He has a medical card, is on Medicaid so we will have to find out how to make sure he can get a card, or use the one from Ohio.

Our son is very careful, he checks his sugar levels, takes his insulin as he should, watches what he eats, counts his carbs and we have no real worries about his health. His body doesn't produce insulin, so he has to take the insulin to survive.
We are homebodies, not ones to go out and party, run all over the place. We stay home and enjoy each others company.
We have no problem in having to drive to get supplies, we would like a place that does have a grocery store, gas stations and some of the simple things, but we don't need a mall that is five minutes away. Bars, nightclubs, party places.

What areas of the state should I look at, north, south, east west, middle? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated of where to start checking out the towns.

Sorry to have ended up being wordy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:48 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Sounds like you would be happy in the Teton Valley or Island Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho