Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 19,336 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be building a house in Sandpoint in the near future. I'd like to use in floor heating. This means if I need AC it will be a separate system, probably a mini split heat pump with a couple of heads in strategic places.
I've been watching the weather in Sandpoint pretty closely the last year and it seems that it is seldom hot enough to justify AC.
I'm considering installing a whole house fan as an alternative to AC. It looks like most nights are reasonably cool so I'm thinking I can cool the house down good at night by using the whole house fan to suck in cool air, then shut in for the day.
Of the folks I know in Sandpoint, about half have AC and half don't.
Anyone have an opinion on this they'd like to share? Any experience with whole house fans used the way I intend?
Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 12:21 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
We had a discussion about air conditioning in Sandpoint recently. You can find a lot of valuable information here, including different points of view:
//www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...ern-idaho.html

Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
We've only lived here for 3 weeks, but have spent a lot of time here in the past years. There are days when it would be nice to have AC, especially if you are going to be inside during the heat of the day. Whether there are enough of those days to justify having AC is a matter of personal judgement. It is usually cool enough at night that AC wouldn't be needed then, but not always.

As far as your whole house fan question, we lived for 22 years in a home without AC that had a whole house fan. That home was in SoCal where almost all homes have AC. For all but about 10 days a year the whole house fan was very effective at keeping the house cool at night. Note that it doesn't do anything for you during the heat of the day, so if you are stuck inside then you will be hot.

The house we bought in Sagle doesn't have AC, and it can't be added easily since it's a log home with hydronic heating (there is no forced air distribution system). Time will tell whether we will wish for AC, but coming from our last home it's hard for us to imagine that we'll be that unhappy without AC. On warm afternoons we expect to enjoy a cold beverage in the shade on the porch.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 06-05-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 09:08 PM

332 posts, read 482,865 times
Misty brought up this topic in a lighthearted manner last year.

I have a lot of computers and servers that need cooler air, so I have to have a least one room that is below 80 degrees during the day. This was my response, and it's still our preferred method...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
It was a culture shock when moving from Texas that our rent house had no central air, because it's just a fact of life down there. Last summer we learned how to open the windows at night to cool everything off and get a head start on the next day. That worked pretty well last year. But clearly this year is a different animal!

We have 3 of these:
Amazon.com: Whynter ARC-131GD Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner, 13000 BTU: Home & Kitchen
... and 6 of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-293-He...dp/B0013LNKIY/

House is a 3,000 sq ft 5 bedroom two-story. There is one AC unit downstairs in the living room, and two AC units upstairs in the kids' loft and our master bedroom (because physics keeps the hot air upstairs). Combining their cooling with the heavy duty floor fans for circulation is keeping us about 76 on 90 degree days, and 78 on the 95 degree days. Keeping things portable gives us the ability to put them away for most of the year. Oh, and dual hose portables are much more efficient than the single hose.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:01 PM

183 posts, read 278,156 times
Put in the A/C, period.

1) Better to have it and not need it than vice versa

2) You WILL need it because the climate is wacky all over these days

3) Better resale due to many folks are used to A/C

4) Cheaper during build than later on

5) Woulda...Shoulda...Coulda is a bad place to be

Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM

291 posts, read 438,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatin11r View Post
Put in the A/C, period.

1) Better to have it and not need it than vice versa

2) You WILL need it because the climate is wacky all over these days

3) Better resale due to many folks are used to A/C

4) Cheaper during build than later on

5) Woulda...Shoulda...Coulda is a bad place to be

I agree completely. When I was a paratrooper doing infantry stuff I figured I was paid to be miserable, no one pays me to be miserable anymore so I have a couple of window units (renting a house for now while we see if we'll be able to stay long term or not). If I do buy, I'll be looking for central A/C for the few days to a couple of weeks it could be nice to have.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
I would get it if I were you. We get some smoking hot days and a lot of those come with bad air quality too.

In our cabin we have a little dance we do to deal with no ac. Windows open all night to let in the blessedly cool air and in morning we run around shutting the windows and shades to keep the cool in. By evening we watch a s the inside temp and outside temp come togetherness and then run around opening everything back up to start again.

We built our place as an off grid cabin and have no central heating (jotul gas stoves in every room) but if we did, we'd put in AC.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:08 AM

70 posts, read 81,903 times
Default Swamp coolers?

Is the weather in NID work for swamp cooling?

Old 06-07-2016, 12:57 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coginthewheel View Post
Is the weather in NID work for swamp cooling?
Probably. It's warm and arid in summer so I don't see why not. Personally, I hate swamp coolers. The cooled air feels damp to me.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:23 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Probably. It's warm and arid in summer so I don't see why not. Personally, I hate swamp coolers. The cooled air feels damp to me.
I used one when living in the Treasure Valley. I bought a small de-humidifier to dry the air out when it became too humid, and it worked well; i moved it from the living room to the bedroom with ease, and it worked best when my place was zoned by closed doors.

Both together didn't add much at all to the electric bill either. Nothing like the cost of running an air conditioner.

Sometimes, I found the humidity inside to be very pleasant when the summer air was super-dry, so there were times when we didn't use the de-humidifier at all. Cracking a window just before bed was enough to keep things from becoming clammy indoors, especially if a couple of windows on opposite sides of house were cracked open a bit.

Even though Treasure Valley summer nights are warmer than here, (or there, where you are), they"re still Idaho nights. By around 2 am, most evenings cool down enough that the swamp cooler wasn't needed through the entire night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho