Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 10:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,473,483 times

Advertisements

Here is a cost estimator if that helps.... I suspect you have to compensate this for rural builds (for things like increased transport cost of all materials, especially foundation concrete and gravel, and site specific problems like steep slopes and tight working space and lack of easy storage areas), but it gives you a lot of options on finish levels. And this tries to factor in the impacts of a complex roof plan with a lot of gables. If you need to save build dollars, stick with a floor plan that is 1-2 rectangles and does not have a lot of gables. Basements are a good way to add floor space with lower cost.... if you have a lot that will drain adequately or put in the proper drainage around the house.

https://www.costtobuild.net/input2.html

I am working through the same process BTW, planning on being my own builder. (And I built our present house and did a lot of the work myself, so not my first house-building rodeo!)

One comment for you that was made above is about weather. Your roof structure is going to have to be adequate for the snow loads in NID (if that is where you are thinking of building). One other factor in the northern Rockies is seismic design. That may well not be any issue where you are looking but it is an added design factor in some parts of that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 10:22 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times

A nice 1970's hippie clerestory cabin is the epitome of "cheap to build" - - - at least according to the owner-builders back then.
All the glazing could be oriented to the sun for passive solar heating, the overhang on the clerestory could shade the windows in the summer.
Easy to set up an indoor greenhouse / sunspace.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:14 AM

560 posts, read 436,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Here is a cost estimator if that helps.... I suspect you have to compensate this for rural builds (for things like increased transport cost of all materials, especially foundation concrete and gravel, and site specific problems like steep slopes and tight working space and lack of easy storage areas), but it gives you a lot of options on finish levels. And this tries to factor in the impacts of a complex roof plan with a lot of gables. If you need to save build dollars, stick with a floor plan that is 1-2 rectangles and does not have a lot of gables. Basements are a good way to add floor space with lower cost.... if you have a lot that will drain adequately or put in the proper drainage around the house.

https://www.costtobuild.net/input2.html

I am working through the same process BTW, planning on being my own builder. (And I built our present house and did a lot of the work myself, so not my first house-building rodeo!)

One comment for you that was made above is about weather. Your roof structure is going to have to be adequate for the snow loads in NID (if that is where you are thinking of building). One other factor in the northern Rockies is seismic design. That may well not be any issue where you are looking but it is an added design factor in some parts of that region.
Thank you! This is good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: