Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,089 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, that's a lot of info to take in! But just so I'm clear, if I have questions about NID, this forum here is the correct one? I hope so, because I have another question! Actually a lot of questions...hope ya'all don't mind!

Let me preface them by saying that my husband and I love NID and have talked about possibly moving there for years now (we live in W. WA -- the "wet" side), but family stuff so far has made that impossible. But we thought that at least, if we found the right place, perhaps we could buy now, move later. We're self-employed, so jobs shouldn't be an issue.

So this coming Tuesday, we're going to visit the CDA and Wallace areas, leaving on Saturday, and see what it's like, as we haven't been there in many years.

A few of my questions are:

1) What are good places to eat in these areas? We like almost anything, but don't exactly have a huge budget.

2) What are some areas near CDA and Wallace that we really should check out? What we'd be looking for is a minimum 3 bd. house on, at the very least, 1 acre, but 2 or more would be better. Not too close to CDA (or in the Wallace area, not right in town), but not more than about an hour's drive to CDA in any direction. And if we ended up looking at places along the WA border, that's fine, but we absolutely want to be OUT of the People's Republic of WA. :P

3) What is Wallace and the surrounding area like? I realize they ran the noisy freeway right over that poor town, but other than that it seems like a really nice little place. Love the architecture and the history, and we've heard the people there are great. But what's your opinion? And the vibe of the place?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
2) If you'd like to stay somewhat close in, Dalton Gardens have 1-acre and 2.5-acre properties. However, it is quite pricey. Going north, anywhere between Athol and Sandpoint, (including Sagel), is worth a look. Going south on the 95, there is Cougar Gulch. Certainly there are other areas, but I don't know them as well.

3.) If you have children, think very hard about Wallace and the Silver Valley. The area is a Super Fund site because of mine trailings and contaminated soil due to heavy metals. It's a beautiful area however. Very scenic, and as you mentioned, historic.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-03-2017, 08:50 PM

44 posts, read 43,757 times
2) Wallace was a darned cute town! During our recent visit there, the freeway was not that noticeable.

3) Not sure what your budget is, but there are some home sites with larger lots going in around English point east of Hayden Lake.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 PM

80 posts, read 94,542 times
We moved to CDA a year ago and live in the Cougar Gulch area. It really is the ideal area as we are 10 minutes to downtown CDA, and most other things, yet we are on 6 acres and it is very quiet out here. There is a house across the fields from us for sale, 2800 ish square feet, nice in the pics, 5 acres, has a shop, and is listed at $550k. If you are coming from western WA this may seem like a good deal to you.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
If you get the chance, the food at the Fainting Goat in Wallace is superb.

Other interesting things to do in Wallace include the mine tour, the bordello museum, and the hike up to the mine where Pulaski had his firefighters take cover during the 1910 wildfire known as the Big Burn.

Definitely visit Wallace and form your own opinion. We thought it was a beautiful place, but from most places in town the noise from the highway ruins the experience.

Dave

Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
Check your Private Messages OneFineDay

Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Best real estate deals with a small acreage seem to be at the east end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, around the corner of the lake

There isn't anywhere near Coeur d'Alene with an acre or more that is inexpensive, but the best bargains appear to be in that area. Some of those properties are quite nice.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:05 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
I like the 1313 Club in Wallace and eat there most times we head that way. Haven't tried the Fainting Goat, will have to check it out.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Best real estate deals with a small acreage seem to be at the east end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, around the corner of the lake

There isn't anywhere near Coeur d'Alene with an acre or more that is inexpensive, but the best bargains appear to be in that area. Some of those properties are quite nice.
Do you mean around the corner on the north end, or the south end?

Quote:
We moved to CDA a year ago and live in the Cougar Gulch area. It really is the ideal area as we are 10 minutes to downtown CDA, and most other things, yet we are on 6 acres and it is very quiet out here. There is a house across the fields from us for sale, 2800 ish square feet, nice in the pics, 5 acres, has a shop, and is listed at $550k. If you are coming from western WA this may seem like a good deal to you.
$550K? Um...no can do. Even coming from W. WA, over half a million seems an insane price for a house. We'd have to win the lottery for that!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
2) If you'd like to stay somewhat close in, Dalton Gardens have 1-acre and 2.5-acre properties. However, it is quite pricey. Going north, anywhere between Athol and Sandpoint, (including Sagel), is worth a look. Going south on the 95, there is Cougar Gulch. Certainly there are other areas, but I don't know them as well.

3.) If you have children, think very hard about Wallace and the Silver Valley. The area is a Super Fund site because of mine trailings and contaminated soil due to heavy metals. It's a beautiful area however. Very scenic, and as you mentioned, historic.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for that bit of advice! You're right -- I looked it up here, Scorecard Home, and yikes! It looks like the entire valley is one huge heavy metal, carcinogenic death trap. What a shame, because it sure is gorgeous, and we loved the inhabitants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho