Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:49 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times

Advertisements

Until Im there full time I cant speak on this topic with any sort of real opinion, but I tend to agree with the WTF did they bring these animals to this area for line of thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,128 times
I agree with those who understand what a problem reintroducing wolves has been. The hunt's a good thing. Most of the comments from last year seem to be from people who deal with emotions deciding issues rather than real life experiences.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitrider View Post
I live in Idaho in wolf country. Most of you have no clue what is going on. I have been stalked by wolves while on horse back.
I have been "stalked" by coyotes in central Denver at 6am.
One of them had a piece of pizza in its mouth.
They followed me for 20 minutes.
I survived.
I understand that wolves are wild animals. I have been up close and personal with wolves, I wouldn't turn my back on one.
But come on--this hunting season is not about that.
And now once more, Wolf Season is back.
And Montana:
"We're in the woods every weekend, but I only saw four wolves," Denwell said, "although I saw tracks almost every time we went out. I think most people are going to have a (wolf) tag and if they see one while deer or elk hunting, they'll shoot it."
You have to handle things as you see fit.
I just hope the wolves don't end up like the passenger pigeons.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 PM

20 posts, read 37,222 times
It is a mistake to assume that "trophy hunters" do not utilize the meat from what they kill. Trophy animals are the older larger animals--which naturally come with more meat. I have noticed in films the villain is often shown with a trophy room in his home--maybe this is where the negative stereotype comes from?

I have mounted antlers from spike mule deer that I have killed, it is a way to remember an experience long after all the meat is consumed. I guess I am a "Trophy HUnter" but the meat is the true trophy.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times
For what it's worth, the take during the wolf season fell far below what fish and game was counting on to keep the population in check. The targets were reached in only 3 zones, the season was extended in others. It would appear that the threat of a legal hunting season was greatly exaggerated.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Toyman, I was wondering about the status of the ID wolf hunt. Thanks for the update!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,567 times
wolves are very dangerous they have been known to attack and kill people they carry diseases that can be transmited to humans. they also kill animals for the sport leaving them to rott if you dont belive me i live in eastern washington have found dead elk in the mountains killed by wolves and left to rott there pests to pets and livestalk and game in the area

Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM

check out washingtonwolf.info to find out more about wolves there not like dogs which people seem to want to belive there cute and cuddley they have killed lots of people and pets

Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM

washingtonwolf.info

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfheart View Post
Thank you for a common sense attitude. Wolves are a valuable part of the eco-system. Unlike the propaganda of some groups they serve as a population control mainly in the removal of the weak.
If by weak, you mean by targeting pregnant females, ripping out the fetus, and leaving the carcas of the mother, perhaps. Killing for pleasure, no doubt. Yes, they love does. Which is why they've decimated the elk population in the Lolo elk preserve regions, where their populations have been reduced by 90%. The Teton region has been almost equally decimated in Wyoming.

The wolves that were introduced into the Rocky Mountain West are not native to the region. They hunt in large packs as opposed to pairs and weigh up to 180 pounds as opposed to 60 pounds.

Frankly, I think they should be exterminated and the native wolf population introduced, but call me a purist. *rolls eyes*

Almost without fail, those who are the most protective of wolves live in cities, haven't set foot near a farm, and certainly haven't gone hunting for elk to feed their family. Obviously our mistyriver chap is an exception.

Last edited by CMartel2; 01-21-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho