Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 01:30 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

Maybe this questions comes off as WTF? LOL...but it's serious question because I'm used to living in a more popular/common area on the coast.

If you've lived there your whole life it might not be easy to answer but really hoping to see a comparison for somebody that lived in a more densely populated area with a lot going on.

Is it slower pace? Less busy?

It doesn't take a lot to make me happy. Especially with how the internet is so common these days I feel like I could spend a lot of my time still doing what I do now. Watching/following sports. Friends etc..

Looking for possible places to move to in the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:38 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
I was born and raised in Montrose, CA, (up against the hills north of Glendale). Ended up working my whole career at JPL, (next city over). Lived within 150 miles of where I was born until I retired and moved to North Idaho. This will be my fifth winter here, and I love living here.

Can't really judge the pace-of-life because then, I was working, now, I'm retired. I'm way more busy now. Makes me wonder how I had a life in my working days.

Not all roses, however. I do terribly miss opera, theater plays, symphony concerts, and museums. Those have been replaced by the mountains, lakes, and rivers...a natural outdoor paradise. Fair trade, I suppose. The personal freedom is the utmost positive factor of living here. Wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.

Ten years? Not too soon to start looking, but remember, things are going to be a lot different in ten years than they are today. Already, in the five years I've been here, I've seen a multitude of changes, few of them positive.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 11-12-2021 at 10:02 PM..

Old 11-13-2021, 04:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I was born and raised in California, we moved here as young adults as neither liked the direction CA was headed. We've been here since 1991 and have zero regrets.

What drew us here was the beauty and having four distinct seasons.

Neither of us miss the concrete jungle we grew up in. In fact, aside from family we miss nothing at all.

Yes, the lifestyle is slower and we appreciate it .

Old 11-13-2021, 06:49 AM

1,811 posts, read 899,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Maybe this questions comes off as WTF? LOL...but it's serious question because I'm used to living in a more popular/common area on the coast.

If you've lived there your whole life it might not be easy to answer but really hoping to see a comparison for somebody that lived in a more densely populated area with a lot going on.

It doesn't take a lot to make me happy. Especially with how the internet is so common these days I feel like I could spend a lot of my time still doing what I do now. Watching/following sports. Friends etc..

So you built your life around the internet?

Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you are accustomed to a lot going on, you will notice less going on. In fact, if you get away from the few medium size cities, the only thing going on might be hunting, fishing, and the monthly Grange meeting.

At the speed people are moving into Idaho, in 10 years, the population will be majority Californians, so you will be living around the same people who are your neighbors right now.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:05 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Its a big state with lots of places to live - so this really depends on what you're asking. There's city life (kind of?), resort living, complete rural homes, etc. Obviously the answer to your question will differ.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
So you built your life around the internet?
No but the internet allows for me to still do some of the hobbies I do now. Like watching sports etc.. I'm not a bar/dancing person. I don't like going to events with a lot of people. I like doing things like exploring, going to the gym, listening to music, just laid back lifestyle.

I do like to travel but that can still be done with me moving.

Everyday I go out driving I hit traffic and it's just exhausting. I know it could get worse than in 10-15 years because of a growing population but time will tell.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I was born and raised in Montrose, CA, (up against the hills north of Glendale). Ended up working my whole career at JPL, (next city over). Lived within 150 miles of where I was born until I retired and moved to North Idaho. This will be my fifth winter here, and I love living here.

Can't really judge the pace-of-life because then, I was working, now, I'm retired. I'm way more busy now. Makes me wonder how I had a life in my working days.

Not all roses, however. I do terribly miss opera, theater plays, symphony concerts, and museums. Those have been replaced by the mountains, lakes, and rivers...a natural outdoor paradise. Fair trade, I suppose. The personal freedom is the utmost positive factor of living here. Wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.

Ten years? Not too soon to start looking, but remember, things are going to be a lot different in ten years than they are today. Already, in the five years I've been here, I've seen a multitude of changes, few of them positive.

See that's stuff that I wouldn't miss. I'd prefer the other stuff you're talking about. I'm not big on crowds of people. Rather just do my own thing by myself.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
Volo echo's my thoughts on living in Idaho as well. This is our 4th winter living here. I call myself "semi retired" as I operate a business development business for 6 clients around the country via my internet and VOIP phone. All easy to have acquired even in a fairly rural spot here in Idaho. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago long before it became the sewer it is today. I've lived west of Milwaukee, the SF Bay Area for 10 years before moving to Salt Lake City and lived there for 24 years. At my age I finally realized I craved a slower pace of life and more open space, which was evaporating quickly in the Salt Lake area. I also have NO desire to be near any of the vastly changing world in general (changes in gender concepts, political upheavals, race issues etc). So for me this was an ideal shift. Drama isn't one of my desires to say the least. All the people I run into who live in the area I'm in are like I remember people being 60 years ago, which is perfect for me. For those that want the progressive ways of life I'd say please head somewhere else. LOL. I know my world is changing and I'm just hoping it's a much much slower movement where I've chosen. It's working for me just fine.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

North, South, East or Central Idaho are all different, almost as different states. Something to keep in mind while reading responses.(excepts laws and stuff).

1st - climate. It's a long cold snow & ice winter compared to the coast, but very fun if you're young or still enjoying the novelty in the first decade or so of being there or have some reason like family there. To go there with the plan of driving icy roads as you get older, not so much.

Slower pace than coastal city. Sure
Less busy than coastal city. Sure
but getting more busy and hurry, hurry by the day.

Sure, your hobbies would actually help during winter and plenty going on outside in summer.

10 years from now ??? Check back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: