Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

96 posts, read 185,442 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are still trying to make our way from Michigan to Idaho. My husband (IT guy) has applied for a few jobs, a few of them in Pullman, WA and another in CDA.
I have researched a lot about CDA, but Moscow and Lewiston, I am not as familiar with. I have done a search on here for both Lewiston and Moscow. I am gathering from posts that Moscow is smaller and more of a college atmosphere and Lewiston can be warmer and I guess at times smelly from the paper mill
What would a drive be like from Lewiston to Pullman, especially in the winter?
I am a homeschooling mom and RN. I may look for a part time, weekend or afternoon job. What are the hospitals like in those cities?Size wise and patient satisfactory level? If you've heard?
How about churches? I have googled churches in Moscow but I am not seeing any Bible or non denominational churches
Being homeschoolers, we would like to do a lot of field trips, such as museums, farm tours, nature preserves. The great outdoors of Idaho will be a beautiful canvas to study, just curious about the other farms, museums, factories.
What are the major differences between Moscow and Lewiston?
Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,710 times
The drive from Pullman to Moscow is an easy 20 minute drive. It's no big deal, and during winter, is is fine if you drive smart.

The hospital in Moscow isn't huge, but it gets the job done for people in that part of Idaho. Gritman Medical Center. Pullman Regional Hospital seems to have more specialities, but both are about the same size.

There are churches all over, so it won't be hard to find one you enjoy. Not all churches have websites.

Field trips would be great to Pullman. WSU in Pullman has many agricultural museums and other things that attract as well as dairies. On a small scale, Idaho has some of this as well.

Lewiston is next to Clarkston. This area has a river separating the two towns, and is home the well known Lewiston Grade, which overlooks the entire region. There is more shopping in this area as well, and plenty of churches. If you want smaller town life, live in Clarkston, WA, which is less then 5 minutes to Lewiston. They are connected by bridges.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I have lived and worked in both Moscow and Pullman, worked in Lewiston. Been in the area for many years.

Answers to your questions:
Winter drive from Lewiston to Pullman: Not bad. It is relatively flat, except an area known as the Lewiston Grade. This is a 1500 ft drop in the course of about 5 miles. It is kept well plowed. You can expect HWY 195 to close a few times each winter.

Hospitals: The Pullman hospital is less than 10 years old. Gritman is older, but has a new wing. Both are similar in number of beds. Gritman, in particular, is very active in the local community. I've used both hospitals, and have no reservations. Most ppl go to Spokane for larger hospital services.

Town differences: Moscow has a population of about 25k, including 10k students. Pullman has a similar sized population, but about 18k are students. Pullman is a University with a town attached. Moscow is a town with a University in it; if you know what I mean. Lewiston also has a small college. Lewiston is very much a blue collar community. Of all the towns you listed, Lewiston would probably have the cheapest cost of living.

Temp difference: Yes, Lewiston is warmer than most of north Idaho. Usually by 5-10 degrees. This results in less snow, and a drier climate. A plus in the winter if you are snow averse. Makes it too hot in the summer for my taste.

Lewiston smell: On hot summer days this is something you will have to get used to. It isn't as bad as it used to be, but it is there. As my 7 year old said last summer "Why does it smell like a fart outside?"

Homeschooling: Moscow has a large number of homeschoolers (I've been told its around 1000). Don't know about the others. It also has a few private schools that are quite good, of varying religious beliefs. Moscow has some of the highest rated schools in the state. As does Pullman! Don't know about homeschooling in Lew. or Pull.

Churches: All the towns have a full complement of Christian churches, varying from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal. The most conservative church I can think of in Moscow (outside of the LDS) is Christ Church.

Museums, etc: I believe Moscow has the most in this area. Not many factories anywhere in the vicinity. Maybe in Spokane.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM

2 things:
1. The drive is closer to 35 or 40 minutes.
2. I wouldn't recommend Clarkston to anyone. Huge welfare population there, with concomitant drug related problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
The drive from Pullman to Moscow is an easy 20 minute drive. It's no big deal, and during winter, is is fine if you drive smart.

The hospital in Moscow isn't huge, but it gets the job done for people in that part of Idaho. Gritman Medical Center. Pullman Regional Hospital seems to have more specialities, but both are about the same size.

There are churches all over, so it won't be hard to find one you enjoy. Not all churches have websites.

Field trips would be great to Pullman. WSU in Pullman has many agricultural museums and other things that attract as well as dairies. On a small scale, Idaho has some of this as well.

Lewiston is next to Clarkston. This area has a river separating the two towns, and is home the well known Lewiston Grade, which overlooks the entire region. There is more shopping in this area as well, and plenty of churches. If you want smaller town life, live in Clarkston, WA, which is less then 5 minutes to Lewiston. They are connected by bridges.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Thank you both very much for the responses. Both are very helpful.

We are born and raised Michiganders, snow and very cold Jan and Febs, we are used to. We get very wet, Lake effect snow here in Grand Rapids. So some big dumps, probably not as much as NID though.

I like the sound of dryer summers as our MI summers are humid and filled with flesh eating Mosquitos lol.

MI is also very blue collar, I was raised in a blue collar family, my kind of people!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
2 things:
1. The drive is closer to 35 or 40 minutes.
2. I wouldn't recommend Clarkston to anyone. Huge welfare population there, with concomitant drug related problems.
Unfortunately, MI is one of the top welfare states, very frustrating and Detroit, well, it is sad, totally not what it used to be, like a lot of places! Love our Red Wings though and our Tigers!

So, who do you cheer for there in Idaho when it comes to Hockey team and baseball...? Seattle?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Seattle is the main city where pro fans root. Mainly because Lewiston is right on the border of Washington. Get down to Boise, or into Eastern Idaho, then Denver becomes more in the picture.

I worked in Lewiston as a much younger lad, and I didn't mind it at all. Cost of living was low, the climate was decent, and if you need the big city, well Spokane wasn't all that far away, if you consider Spokane the big city.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Lewiston is not nearly as nice as Moscow (IMHO), but it does have a BIG RIVER if you are into water sports.

For home schooling I would chose Moscow

Pullman is too much college overload, again Moscow is prettier and more of a community.

This Independent church is quite popular in the region, but it is a hike from Moscow. I'm sure they could fix you up with some referrals. I has a great missions / family program. Onecho Bible Church Home

Pro sports in SEA and Portland (5 hrs away, to either one) Hockey anywhere in Canada!! (tho Portland has a decent team)

I also suggest looking into Sandpoint. CDA / Post Falls / Spokane may have the most work for IT AND hospitals

Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Thank you for the link

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM

If you are accustomed to lake effect snow, what we get here will feel paltry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho