Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 10:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times

Advertisements

This is a cause for concern in Moscow.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7ez...th-a-firm-hand

Christ Church appears to be extremely un-Christ like. Where do these kooks come from? Do they really think they can flip Moscow to bow to their tyranny?

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...theyre-pushin/

A lot of people come to this forum and express concern about the LDS Church. Folks, the LDS Church is the least of your worries, it is these evil religions that mock Christianity by feeling they must rule the land and these types of Evangelical riff raff are the ones that should be what you worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 10:37 AM

269 posts, read 329,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
A lot of people come to this forum and express concern about the LDS Church. Folks, the LDS Church is the least of your worries, it is these evil religions that mock Christianity by feeling they must rule the land and these types of Evangelical riff raff are the ones that should be what you worry about.
Yes, and one should surely be able to speak out about it.....
"...the desire to seek a kind of accommodation [between science and religion] by mutual tolerance is understandable, even commendable. Nonetheless speaking as a secularist and skeptic, I believe this should not preclude others within the community from questioning the claims of Biblical, Koranic, or other absolute faiths, particularly since massive efforts are constantly undertaken by missionaries to recruit members to the fold... This posture is especially questionable given the constant effort by militant religionists to apply their doctrines in the political process, thus seeking to impose their views on others." - Paul Kurtz

Old 12-17-2021, 11:42 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
[mod note] Hey, guys/gals. All the posts today to this ancient thread have been 'off topic'. Mask mandates and religions should go into their own threads. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-17-2021, 12:49 PM

560 posts, read 436,585 times
Between these two we liked Lewiston a bunch more when we visited back in June. Moscow felt dirty and people weren’t as friendly. It’ll probably rub some folks the wrong way which is not my intent but Moscow felt like LA to us whereas Lewiston didn’t stand out one way or the other versus the other towns we visited on our trip while in Idaho, which I see as a positive thing. Anecdotal as it may be it still is a valid data point to consider.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Between these two we liked Lewiston a bunch more when we visited back in June. Moscow felt dirty and people weren’t as friendly. It’ll probably rub some folks the wrong way which is not my intent but Moscow felt like LA to us whereas Lewiston didn’t stand out one way or the other versus the other towns we visited on our trip while in Idaho, which I see as a positive thing. Anecdotal as it may be it still is a valid data point to consider.
In what ways did Moscow feel dirty? I've always thought of it as a vibrant and tidy town with a quaint downtown area.
Lewiston feels run down and grimy and looks economically depressed, although the city is investing in bringing life back to the historic downtown.

Moscow has a population of only around 27,000. What made it feel like Los Angeles of all places?

Old 12-17-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
In what ways did Moscow feel dirty? I've always thought of it as a vibrant and tidy town with a quaint downtown area.
Lewiston feels run down and grimy and looks economically depressed, although the city is investing in bringing life back to the historic downtown.

Moscow has a population of only around 27,000. What made it feel like Los Angeles of all places?
More trash in the street and the people mainly. Population aside, those are the two things that stood out to us between the two. Naturally all cities and towns have run down or poorer areas, I was just surprised to encounter the trash and the people not being as friendly. Granted the people thing could of been out of towners and we wouldn’t of known. Once we move up to Idaho I’ll be able to see more of it to see if my first impressions are good. I will say the area around Lewiston is nice.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:13 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:

27,000!!! That would make it feel like LA.

It was a nice small town. Almost went to graduate school there, TWICE.

I did prefer it to Pullman, but it seems that it is getting rather crowded these days.

27,000 who would believe it???

Old 12-17-2021, 05:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
More trash in the street and the people mainly. Population aside, those are the two things that stood out to us between the two. Naturally all cities and towns have run down or poorer areas, I was just surprised to encounter the trash and the people not being as friendly. Granted the people thing could of been out of towners and we wouldn’t of known. Once we move up to Idaho I’ll be able to see more of it to see if my first impressions are good. I will say the area around Lewiston is nice.
I can understand both reasons.

It's a university town, with an even larger university very nearby. Tensions at the schools have always bled into the community at large. There has always been a school-townie division there as well.

Since a lot of the younger folks in town don't call it their home, and since the U of I is such a bargain for a higher degree, there are a lot of students from other states and some nations there.

Since they're all there for only one purpose that has little to do with the community's affairs, they probably aren't as friendly as folks are in Lewiston. Lewiston as a college too, but it's smaller, and Lewiston's residents outnumber their student population. So there's more investment in community there than in Moscow.

Moscow is still largely a farm town as a city, and all farm towns can look trashy at times of the year. Lots of farm towns here look run-down too, as farming hasn't been a high-profit endeavor for ages. Lewiston has a more diversified economy, even though it's also partly a farm town.

It's been a very long time since I lived in Moscow, but even way back then, the students tended to hang together and generally ignored the townies they didn't know, and the town had some patchy areas back then too, as did the university.
I got used to life there pretty quickly, as it wasn't anything unusual or different to me. Even at the opposite end of the state, the towns I was familiar with were much the same. Only the landscape differed.

I'm sure that's no longer as true as it was back in the past, but Idaho hasn't changed dramatically everywhere.

Some cities, including my own, are radically different than they were when I was young, while others haven't changed much at all. And still others have lost population and have gone downhill since then.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I can understand both reasons.

It's a university town, with an even larger university very nearby. Tensions at the schools have always bled into the community at large. There has always been a school-townie division there as well.

Since a lot of the younger folks in town don't call it their home, and since the U of I is such a bargain for a higher degree, there are a lot of students from other states and some nations there.

Since they're all there for only one purpose that has little to do with the community's affairs, they probably aren't as friendly as folks are in Lewiston. Lewiston as a college too, but it's smaller, and Lewiston's residents outnumber their student population. So there's more investment in community there than in Moscow.

Moscow is still largely a farm town as a city, and all farm towns can look trashy at times of the year. Lots of farm towns here look run-down too, as farming hasn't been a high-profit endeavor for ages. Lewiston has a more diversified economy, even though it's also partly a farm town.

It's been a very long time since I lived in Moscow, but even way back then, the students tended to hang together and generally ignored the townies they didn't know, and the town had some patchy areas back then too, as did the university.
I got used to life there pretty quickly, as it wasn't anything unusual or different to me. Even at the opposite end of the state, the towns I was familiar with were much the same. Only the landscape differed.

I'm sure that's no longer as true as it was back in the past, but Idaho hasn't changed dramatically everywhere.

Some cities, including my own, are radically different than they were when I was young, while others haven't changed much at all. And still others have lost population and have gone downhill since then.
These are all very good points. Thank you for your perspective.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
The quad area of Lewiston/Clarkston and Moscow/Pullman is somewhat underestimated. The four cities have a population of over 100k, plus two major state universities. No, it isn’t a big metro area, but some discount the total population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho