Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 23,319 times

Advertisements

How flexible are local building codes/enforcers on allowing alternative construction for homes? Have you built a cordwood, cob, stackbale, or earthship style home without too much difficulty?

I am looking for a small (5-10) acre parcel in a rural area to build an off-grid, cordwood home. I currently live in Upstate NY and there are homes in the Adirondack Mountain area that are made from cordwood masonry (like a stone wall but using cordwood instead of rocks).

I have a few books and plan to attend a seminar at the Earthwood School on how to build the houses but all reading material suggest looking to local code enforcement for guidance before going to an architect.

The areas where I am looking to relocate are either Wyoming, the Wind River area or Buffalo; or the area between Boise and Kamiah, Idaho. (Other recommendations would be appreciated, good fishing/hunting is a must)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM

35 posts, read 240,358 times
Default Idaho County

If you are wanting no building codes, then here in Idaho county is where you want to move. You will still have to meet the electrical standards and health for your septic, but you can build your home out of pretty much whatever you want as long as you are not in a subdivision with its own set of regs. You will be looking at from 40,000 to 100,000 for a 5 to 10 acre parcel, price will depend on location, view, etc....

Check with the Idaho county website, there are links to it on my site.

Hope this helps,

Robert Millage

Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 23,319 times
Thanks Robert, that does help. I'm taking a long look at Idaho county, seems to have all the criteria I am looking for.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 59,407 times
I am not sure that I am ready to build a cob home, but I do want to work on smaller projects to get a feel for the durability of cob. Hopefully this summer I can build a cob oven. Hosting outdoor pizza parties should be fun, and the cost of the project is pretty minimal. Here is an article I found about building a cob oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho