Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Can't wait to go up there to visit next spring. I've got to get my wife excited about this move. So far she isn't all that happy about it....
My wife was the same way UNTIL we went up there and stayed in CDA.. By the time we were ready to leave she wanted to move immediately.
Start breaking her in by showing her pics and all the things to do there online.. Google is your friend, especially the Image search.
She will come around, and you will all be much better off for it!
Take her for a couple days to the resort on the lake, and out on the town and it will be a done deal I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Sorry. I've just been so thoroughly abused by the gay movement in the past month or so that I've come to dislike the whole lot of them on a personal level. To think...I actually voted for them on every level until the whole marriage fiasco. I have no problem with people living their life the way they want, but the second I disagreed with them I was a bigot and a religious zealot....I am more than a little pissed off about that. I don't appreciate the way they have handled this situation and I have taken it personal...especially after seeing several prominent people in "liberal" professions forced to resign because they donated their own money to help pass Prop 8. That's just evil and vindictive...to try and destroy peoples lives for the votes they cast. Very evil and unAmerican...that played a very big part in my decision to move to Idaho(before I was toying with the idea, after it was set in stone). I won't live in a state that sanctions the punishing of citizens for the votes they cast.......that's fascist in my opinion.
Apology accepted, and I am sorry you are feeling abused. Meet me over in the Politics and Controversies Forum and we'll hash it out .

Don't forget this goes both ways. Feeling abused at the hands of a movement, right or wrong, you probably have more in common with the folks ticking you off than you realize .

Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Apology accepted, and I am sorry you are feeling abused. Meet me over in the Politics and Controversies Forum and we'll hash it out .

Don't forget this goes both ways. Feeling abused at the hands of a movement, right or wrong, you probably have more in common with the folks ticking you off than you realize .
Its okay. I can't hash it out...I've had my fill of political discourse. I am not sure how I keep letting myself get sucked in. I need a nice long break from ideological struggles. First Ron Paul....then bailouts of the wealthy....then Prop 8...next is probably the second amendment. I just want to talk about Idaho and when the hell I am going to get there! lol

Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
My wife was the same way UNTIL we went up there and stayed in CDA.. By the time we were ready to leave she wanted to move immediately.
Start breaking her in by showing her pics and all the things to do there online.. Google is your friend, especially the Image search.
She will come around, and you will all be much better off for it!
Take her for a couple days to the resort on the lake, and out on the town and it will be a done deal I think
You are right. I will definitely do those things. I have already started with the pictures and she is starting to realize just how beautiful it is up there.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
SacTown11, you will surely be welcomed here by folks across the political spectrum as we have been.

On any given Saturday you can find us in the morning out on a range or having breakfast with die-hard right wingers, and enjoying an evening meal with a bunch of left wing commies. We might even break in the middle to dine with the apolitical.

One weekend my daughter went on a sleepover, spending her Sunday morning at her friend's LDS services, the next weekend, her friends piled in my car and spent their Sunday School enjoying an educational lecture on Islam.

Upsetting politics aren't something you can move away from, but you can move towards a more civil discourse, whatever side you are on.

Welcome to Idaho!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Question Individual Ability to Tolerate the Length of Any Discussion

Quote:
SacTown11, you will surely be welcomed here by folks across the political spectrum as we have been.

On any given Saturday you can find us in the morning out on a range or having breakfast with die-hard right wingers, and enjoying an evening meal with a bunch of left wing commies. We might even break in the middle to dine with the apolitical.

One weekend my daughter went on a sleepover, spending her Sunday morning at her friend's LDS services, the next weekend, her friends piled in my car and spent their Sunday School enjoying an educational lecture on Islam.

Upsetting politics aren't something you can move away from, but you can move towards a more civil discourse, whatever side you are on.

Welcome to Idaho!

Good points. I'm glad to hear some parents were willing to let their kids learn more about Islam.

Having never lived in So. Cal or Cal, I wonder if part of the problem is some dialogue just doesn't stop? Kind of like how some talk about the weather in ID. I reach a saturation point of the discussion regardless of what I originally thought. I sure get there now with politics, given how early campaigns are launching (any candidate). UGH - I do have other interests.

MSR

Old 12-01-2008, 06:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:

Welcome to Idaho!
That is wonderful to find people who can agree to disagree on certain points in order to enjoy the points about which they agree. The contrast of right in private Christian high school and left in public secular college really makes me agree with you on that assertion.

While everywhere has its vehement (read: frantic) extremists, the accepted consensus among both areas of predominant ideology was just to enjoy activities and appreciate commonality where it existed. Moments of disagreement were marked by discussion (not debate) and even vehement folks were given an ear, at least until they started trying to talk down to others or misdirect the discussion.

One of the greatest gifts Idaho gave me would have to be all the people who let me ask questions of their view and further clarify/change my view via their questions. Once it becomes clear that opposing views each exist for valid, well-founded reasons, the whole political dynamic in this country becomes less anxiety-inducing and more reflective/pontific. It's still a "fight for what we hold dear" (and always should be!), but that sentiment is balanced out by a quest to maintain our way of life while accepting that what works for us is not exactly the magic formula for what works for other portions or the whole of society. While that complexity sadly seems to scare some, hence the reason all societies have to contend with extremists and government interference, folks like myself and many with whom I grew tend to revel in it. After all, life is several parts passion and compromise.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Good points. I'm glad to hear some parents were willing to let their kids learn more about Islam.

Having never lived in So. Cal or Cal, I wonder if part of the problem is some dialogue just doesn't stop? Kind of like how some talk about the weather in ID. I reach a saturation point of the discussion regardless of what I originally thought. I sure get there now with politics, given how early campaigns are launching (any candidate). UGH - I do have other interests.

MSR
Most Southern Californians are apolitical until something directly affects them. I haven't lived in Northern California but it sounds quite different up there. Much of Southern California is still rather conservative as well. In fact, many areas are far more conservative when compared to Boise.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Smile Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Most Southern Californians are apolitical until something directly affects them. I haven't lived in Northern California but it sounds quite different up there. Much of Southern California is still rather conservative as well. In fact, many areas are far more conservative when compared to Boise.
True. I can think of some wonderful spas/resorts in consertive So. Cal more in the Palm Springs area, I believe.

Thanks for the note.

MSR

Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 44,570 times
Default Get over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83701 View Post
Idaho loaded with white extremist christian's and apathetic Mormons, it a beautiful State but the narrow mind conservative people are the weakness to a wonderful part of the country. The horrible education system is a disgrace so if you want your children educated don't expect it here.
I haven't finished reading the posts in this thread and will do so tonight, but I don't need to in order to respond to this one.

The education system in this country is a joke because it is public education. It is designed for the median, not for those who struggle and not for those with excellent natural abilities.

The best education system is at home...whether you take the role in supporting their public education or actually pony up and educate them yourselves. You'd be surprised how much better of a job you could do than any school, because you have so much more at stake.

My 58 year old mom home-schooled her daughter to 4.0GPA public university performance and is doing a fine job with her 12 year old son. All while she is working full-time.

So get rid of your sports cars, your career that dominates your life above family, your over-priced home, your cookie-cutter vacations, your dependence on government, or whatever it is that keeps you sucking on the government teet, and take responsibility for yourself and your children's education.

I'm so sick and tired of these calls for good schools, good health care, good welfare systems, good roads, etc. Are we such a fragile society that we can't manage anything but a hotel reservation, a fast-food drive through, and an IRA?

Idaho is attractive to me not because of the good GOVERNMENT programs, infrastructures, and institutions, but because of the opportunity to die a self-made, self-reliant man who has made real men and women out of my children, not allowed someone else to do it.

And until you witness, firsthand, Islam consume multiple cities from the ground up in a short period of time - spawning dozens of hate-spewing IMAMS who call for terrorism publicly with no response; completely REPLACING Christian history lessons in public schools with Islam religious 'education'; banning church bells from ringing while permitting mosque calls; prohibiting pro-Christian shirts in public transport sites while permitting full Muslim headresses, etc., etc., etc.; don't blindly trudge into preaching about sensitivity and understanding.

Folks, this is happening all over Europe right now, culturally, religiously, and socially there is troubling instability boiling. Trust me when I say I am not some radical kook out from la-la land. I was what you could consider a very moderate, religiously-apathetic Republican when I moved over to Europe for work, but my jaw hit the ground over time.

I have more Muslim, Hindu, Wiccan, Christian, Mormon, Agnostic, Athiest, whatever friends than I could list here. But I can only forewarn you that to deny the U.S.'s Christian heritage and to REPLACE IT with religious diversity is to attack the very core of our nation. I am not saying that we should restrict or attack others from practicing their religion in private, but once you cross the line from this field-hopping, everyone-loves-everyone, we can all get along ideology to the reality of religious struggle and human nature, you'll understand.

Spend some time here with me in my work...try Paris, Berlin, or London, Birmingham, Petersborough, Manchester, on and on, in the UK. Heck, even the smaller cities and towns here. It's a problem in the large metropolitan areas in the U.S. and sparsely among some cities, but the UK is only 10-20 years ahead of us.

I tie this all in to this thread because of my disgust with people attacking Idahoans (I am from Michigan) for their traditional Christian values all the while others proclaim how beautiful it is to understand and celebrate Islam. Two sides of the same sword.

I am all for Muslims practicing Islam in their mosques, gays sleeping with one another in their homes, and hippies smoking dope, but it's not who I am, what I believe in, or how I want to live. Expecting me to understand it (which I do oh so well), be sensitive to it, or support it in law is a different matter.

America dies when our heritage dies. Sorry if this is off-subject and extreme. I'm pissed off at ignorance and naivity tonight. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....where is a pile of moose crap when I need it for a projectile. My apologies for the rant. I'll humbly accept my ban.

(Not from Idaho but sure as heck hope to be an Idahoan someday)

Last edited by martialcanine45; 12-05-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho