Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

This was released about two weeks ago. I'm glad to see it accessible to all now.

From the AP: "Side effects not always due to swine flu shot"

From the Lancet publication:

"They found that in Britain, for every 10 million people who might get the swine flu shot, about 22 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome and 6 unexplained deaths will likely occur within 6 weeks of vaccination — and probably won't be caused by the vaccine."

"In the U.S., experts expect that for every 1 million pregnant women who get the swine flu shot, 397 will have a spontaneous abortion within a day." (Spontaneous abortion is a miscarriage, per chance you are not familiar with that term).

"Only if the rates of these events exceed these baseline numbers should experts suspect the vaccine might be responsible."

Additional information regarding this article can be found at this link:

The Associated Press: Side effects not always due to swine flu shot

I hope this information helps some who are wondering whether or not they should vaccinate.

Take care,

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:52 AM

Lightbulb Idaho Has Lost 13 Residents to H1N1

From 09/01/09 until the last reporting period there have been 13 deaths in Idaho due to H1N1.

From Radio Statio KBOI:

"She says the flu season definately hasn't peaked yet..."it's not unlikely for there to be a wave of illness and then a second wave of illness, we've still got several months left of a typical flu season so it's not too late to go our and get that vaccine."

KBOI News/Talk 670 - Boise, Idaho

First, my sympathies to all the families and friends of the families. At some point more people who read this thread will know someone who has lost their battling fighting this virus.

Secondly, from a personal perspective, I find the information above, about it not being too late to get the regular 2009 flu vaccination very interesting. I tried to get one two days ago only to be told where I went for the injection that they were out and weren't ordering any more. I asked why and the clinician in charge said they didn't think there would be the demand or need.

Perhaps better stated, when I saw the appt. book from a distance and heard there was one time in all of next week to get an H1N1 injection, I'm not sure they can offer both and continue with their regular work. That is simply my opinion, I don't know for sure.

Has anyone else gone to get he seasonal 2009 and been told essentially it is too late (which the link above refutes)? Or what has been your experience?

MSR

Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Lightbulb See The Same Theme Repeat

From the Idaho Statesman:

"H1N1 hits younger people harder than it does senior citizens. The five Treasure Valley victims ranged in age from their 20s to their 50s, according to data from local health departments and state officials."

"Statewide, the Department of Health and Welfare has raised the official death toll from 10 as of Oct. 28 to 13 this week. Two of the additional cases are a man and a woman in their 50s from southeastern Idaho. The third is the Elmore County case."

The rest of the article, including the names of a couple of the victims can be found in the link. I don't believe it is appropriate for us to be re-posting the name of victims, unless they are in our own family via our own experience. These Idaho residents have families, friends, worked and most certainly had to know other Idaho residents, some of whom may read this thread.

To all those who have lost a loved one, I offer my sympathy.

At least five people in Treasure Valley have died of H1N1 complications | Health & Fitness | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/yourhealth/story/971997.html - broken link)

MSR

Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Post "State Confirms Death Related to Swine Flu" - Elmore County Woman

From KIFI Channel 8 News:

"State Confirms Death Related to Swine Flu"

"The state Department of Health and Welfare says the woman, who was in her 30s, had other medical problems and she is the first confirmed death associated with the swine flu in Elmore County"

I know this seems to contradict what I posted earlier from the Idaho Statesman and elsewhere. The Statesman, and otehr news sources, as other sources have reported 13 deaths including a male and a female from southeastern ID.

I'd encourage everyone who thinks the numbers don't make sense to them to re-read, I believe it was the Statesman or KBOI. In the article from that News Source, it explains the lag time both in getting positive laboratory confirmation that locals have died due to the time it takes to run certain laboratory tets and the seven regional health agencies differ in their reporting times.

To me, this is an important article to post as most of the deaths in Idaho have taken place in the larger cities/metro centers. This post proves the ugly fact that those who die from H1N1 come from varied back-ground, and so many different groups of "younger aduts" are targeted by this virus.

The rest of the article can be found at this link:

State Confirms Death Related to Swine Flu - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

I'm saddened by these additional Idahoans losing their fight against H1N1. I offer my sincere sympathy to all the family members, friends and others connected with this victim and other.

Take care everyone......it's hard to loose people we know or at least were aware of in our various communities to this deadly virus.

MSR

Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Lightbulb From KEZI in OR: "Ferrets Catch Swine Flu From Their Owners"

Back to a different topic we started to discuss regrading H1N1, it appears more Ferrets in OR have been diagnosed + for H1N1.

"DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ore. -- Household pets could be at risk for the swine flu. In fact, nine ferrets in Douglas County contracted the H1N1 virus from their human owners."

"Across the nation, at least one cat, several birds, and a number of ferrets have contracted the H1N1 virus, though owners say the nine ferrets in Rice Hill have since recovered. While there is no H1N1 vaccine for animals, the state public health veterinarian says the best way to protect your pets is to maintain good hygiene habits and to avoid close contact with them if you are sick."

The rest of the article is at the posted link below:

Ferrets Catch Swine Flu From Their Owners | KEZI (http://kezi.com/healthwatch/148779 - broken link)

Just an FYI - it is important to keep track of your companion animals health and changes too. If in doubt, seek your DVM's advice.

Please be careful around companion animals and please make sure younger family members, as well as older, are taught how to best prepare for dealing with potentially ill pets.

MSR

Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Lightbulb "U.S. pediatric deaths continue to mount from Swine Flu"

"U.S. pediatric deaths continue to mount from Swine Flu" per the CDC.

From the reposted CDC information at this website:
U.S. pediatric deaths continue to mount from Swine Flu | VANCOUVERITE

"Latest U.S. Swine Flu map. Click to enlarge."

"ATLANTA – U.S pediatric deaths from Swine Flu continued to mount with the Centers for Disease Control reporting 26 confirmed and eight unconformed deaths from the virus in one week."

"Since Aug. 30, 98 pediatric deaths have been confirmed from Swine Flu while 19 deaths remained unsubtyped but were probably caused by the H1N1 virus. The CDC also reported a death this week from seasonal flu."

"So far, 178 children have died from confirmed or suspected Swine Flu, the CDC said in its latest figures."

“ 'Thirty-five influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported to CDC during week 44 (Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas [2], California [8] , Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan [2], Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio [2], Oklahoma [3], Tennessee [2], Texas [6], Utah, Virginia, and Washington),' ” said the agency."

" ' A total of 156 deaths in children associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been reported to CDC.

“ 'From August 30 – November 7, 2009, 22,364 laboratory-confirmed influenza associated hospitalizations and 877 laboratory-confirmed influenza associated deaths were reported to CDC,' ” the agency said."

More data is available at the website posted.

I've highlighted and underlined pediatric deaths in WA, UT, AZ and 8 in CA. Since Idaho residents often travel to these states and vice versa, I believe it is very important to watch reiongal trends too.

If you are considered about a sick child, PLEASE see your child's doctor ASAP. If there has been an abrupt change, call 9/11 and/or go to the Emergency Room! It is better to have an educated, experienced provider re-assure you about your child, than have your child be seriously ill and get no treatment.

MSR

Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 AM

Exclamation "Utah cat tests positive for H1N1 flu"

Given the earlier posts about animals and what I posted from the Veterinary Journals, I think it is wise to be aware this cat, in our region.

"Utah cat tests positive for H1N1 flu"
"DVM NEWSMAGAZINE"

"Prospector, Utah -- What's believed to be the second case of an H1N1-infected cat surfaced in Utah, and one of the cat's owners also tested positive for the virus."

"Like the cat diagnosed with H1N1 last week in Iowa, the most recent case involves a 13-year-old domestic shorthair spayed female that presented with breathing problems, Dr. Carl Prior, owner of Park City Animal Hospital, tells DVM Newsmagazine. Prior and his associate, Dr. Angela West, treated the cat, which the owner described as breathing with its mouth open."

"A test from Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine's diagnostic laboratory, and it came back seropositive, he says. So Iowa sent more samples, including a PCR test, which came back negative. Prior says officials at the school were surprised at the negative reading, but told him their cat had tested the same way."

The rest of the article can be found at this link:

Utah cat tests positive for H1N1 flu - DVM

I wonder how many other vets haven't thought of diagnosing one of their sick patients with H1N1 before the Iowa Cat tested positive?

Make sure you know what YOUR DVM wants you to do if household companion animals get sick.

MSR

Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 AM

Post "Wyoming flu-related death toll climbs to eight"

"According to the Wyoming Department of Health, influenza was associated with the recent deaths of two more Laramie County residents."

"The two men were both elderly and had underlying health conditions associated with higher risk of severe illness. One died last week; the other about three weeks ago."

"These are the seventh and eighth flu-related deaths reported to the department since the emergence of H1N1 flu in Wyoming. Four reported deaths have been among residents between the ages of 19 and 64; four among residents over the age of 65."

"Since late May, 663 swine or H1N1 flu cases have been confirmed by the department. Of those:

• 56 were among residents younger than 5

• 349 were among residents between the ages of 5 and 18

• 253 were among residents between the ages of 19 and 64

• 5 were among residents older than 65."

The remainder of the article is in the link below.

http://www.littlechicagoreview.com/p...nce_id=4435217

I encourage everyone to watch for trends in the border states closest to where you live or do business.

MSR

Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Considering where I sit in the animal industry (pet boarding), I am glad to know that they described a little on how the cat was acting that prompted the owners to get the cat into the vet.

The irony is that although I'm not a vet nor doctor, I've have a friendly disagreement for years with a veterinary friend of mine in regards to zoonotic diseases. There are things she claims can not be passed back and forth when I have seen it passed firsthand

Thank you for the link and I need to go and read the article now.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM

Smile Education is Still the Focus Here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Considering where I sit in the animal industry (pet boarding), I am glad to know that they described a little on how the cat was acting that prompted the owners to get the cat into the vet.

The irony is that although I'm not a vet nor doctor, I've have a friendly disagreement for years with a veterinary friend of mine in regards to zoonotic diseases. There are things she claims can not be passed back and forth when I have seen it passed firsthand

Thank you for the link and I need to go and read the article now.
Cleosmom,

I agree about describing how the cat was acting. That is why I selected that article to post. I hoped it would be informative to owners of what to watch for and potentially some may want to print it for their DVMs, if needed!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho