Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times

Advertisements

With just a few weeks left at work and retirement coming all my friends ask " Why would you want to move to Idaho ".

I have given this alot of thought and there is no way to say it without sounding like I'm racist.
I am just sick of my town and my state turning into little Mexico.
40 kids in my sons classroom and the govenor is cutting teachers because the state is going broke paying for all the social programs . 45 kids next year.
Trash litters our streets and the front of homes with handfulls of children sitting there in the middle of it doing nothing. My dad would have kicked my ass for not taking the time to clean up our own yard without direction from him. It was a pride thing. . What has happened to the community sprit that led me to think that everyone's yard is always clean.
I must have watched Wally and the Beaver way too much...
Gangsters and murder every day front page of the Fresno Bee.
Cops being second guessed by liberal politicans because they were too harsh of these punks that show absolutely no regard for anybody.
I believe that if a cops has to chase some hoodlum across town at a high rate of speed his adrenline alone should find him innocent after he kicks this punks ass. Back to street duty with a pay raise and a job well done.
Now tonight in a local department store it looked like a bomb went off.
Clothes and shoes laying all over the floor with kids running unattended everywhere. Every advertisement over the PA system was in spanish.
I was imbarressed to be in there. What has happend to our town? We were outcasts in our own city.
I know that life won't be perfect when we get to Idaho.
I just want it to be an improvement from central California.
Now the TAXES , traffic , air polution, diminishing ground water, and OHV trail closures are a whole different rant.
Somebody slap me down and tell me how wrong I am.. Or is it just time for us to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
Its been time to leave for a while DR... I think we are absolutely making the right choice..
The nay-sayers in my case are stuck in Cali. and cant or wont leave even though they see the writing on the wall (not just graffiti) too.. The only thing they can do is bring up tired reasons why we shouldnt leave, cause they dont want to be the ONLY ones left speaking english..ha!! I really feel sorry for my friends who are stuck here, but I aint staying for them.

And as for being racist, just about anything makes you "racist" these days.. I wouldnt sweat it.Ha!!
I'd rather have people hate me for what I am, than love me for what Im not.. If wanting to speak english and have english spoken to me is racist so be it.. If not wanting our kids to be in schools where half the class is holding the rest back because of a language barrier is racist so be it.
I'm sure some will find us offensive, but I really dont care. People sit around these days just waiting to be offended by something.
I guess we will fit right on in with all the Skinheads in Idaho..HAHAHA..
With the 10 months of winter a year our shaved heads are sure gonna get COLD.lol..

Old 05-16-2009, 03:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
D & T,
what you have experienced is not Mexico, but the mix of border, drug, uneducated and migrant cultures. It is born out of economic desperation & dependency, a parallel world of street law, and an utter lack of ignorance. The Mexicans I know are extremely sophisticated and educated.

Just like the war on terror, people fail to see beyond their own predicament. The drug economy is a complex tangle of foreign and US-based networks, all set up to feed to the multi-billion dollar market of US drug consumers. This culture has ripped apart a number of countries, Mexico being one of them. The border areas are as distressing to middle & upper class Mexicans as they are for the American middle class, perhaps even more so as suffer loss of reputational capital. Moreover, the modest, earnest, and hardworking Mexicans feel just as out of place with the extreme elements of the border and urban cultures of this modern age.

I was in Madrid during the 3-11 bombing and only 500m away when the bombs exploded. In the massive flurry of public opinion that followed, I honestly felt that I had as much in common with rational thinkers in Spain than with the apologist, bleeding heart intelligentsia in the States. The sooner we recognize the common threads we share across race and creeds and nationalities, the larger our alliances for good.

Although the SoCal cultural wars have been a largely poor Mexican/Central American experience mixing with US dimensions of excess, a student of history will recognize this pattern has been repeated many times in US history and tenfold when one looks at the migration in the Mediterranean or South America.

That people want to leave places that are run over by terrible public policies and the tyranny of subcultures seems perfectly normal. However, I am not a big fan of hatred-charged escapism or of attempts to bring the angst of earlier fights to an area almost completely devoid of these cultural wars. We are not the South, the industrial north, or Southern California, gracias a Dios.

Hatred is never a welcomed import. I think we have enough to offer as a place to live to attract your interest. While Skinheads can be fairly intelligent, they are among the most cowardly I have ever come across. If they are so keen on rooting out the worst elements of SoCal, then let them get their a$$ses down there to fight, instead of running away to an area devoid of challenges. The reference made me cringe. Honestly, marching in CDA for English-only is laughable. You want courage? look to example of Sophie Scholl. It is easy to be tough, when your "enemy" is not around.

Please come to NID for NID's sake, not because you to recreate the tension up here but with being on the dominant side. It will be hard to leave your baggage behind. It is not a question of race or racism, but of good citizenship.

Thx, S.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 05-16-2009 at 04:02 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 06:08 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
How Sad it is that way there DR. Just have to say you are tougher than we were when we lived in CA. We bailed out of CA for Idaho almost 23 years ago. Even CA seemed bad for us. Maybe for different reasons. Still bad and not where we wanted to be.

On an aside. We met our boards " Weiser" at the Chamber of Commerce yesterday in real life. Lovely lady. I still love Weiser. Big enough to get what you need at the stores. Small enough to still have the small town friendly feeling. Close enough to larger shopping if needed if you can not find it in town. not even a bad drive to Boise or Nampa Caldwell.

Hope your house sells fast so you can get to moving up here.

Chris

Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times
Sandpointian writes:
Quote:
Please come to NID for NID's sake, not because you to recreate the tension up here but with being on the dominant side. It will be hard to leave your baggage behind. It is not a question of race or racism, but of good citizenship.
As usual, Sandpointian makes a lot of sense.

I read what those who are leaving California for a new life in Idaho have to say, and I am saddened to hear their stories But, the problems in California are the result of many factors, not a single issue. Like Sandpointian, I urge those moving from California to Idaho to embrace what we have here, not what they are leaving behind. I know each of you is seeking perfection. Well, Idaho is not perfect. It's close! It's the people of Idaho - the caring citizens - that are helping to make Idaho near-perfect.

We're looking for good citizens. We seek people who can make Idaho an even better place to live. People like Jake Plummer, the retired NFL quarterback who now makes Sandpoint his home....and more. Plummer is a good citizen who is helping his new community by extending his hand to both the youth and seniors of Sandpoint. He's a volunteer football assistant coach for Sandpoint High School and he volunteers to deliver hot meals to home-bound seniors for the "Meals on Wheels" program. That's the kind of people we need!

Jake Plummer was recently interviewed on local TV. To see what kind of a person (and citizen) he is, go to:

6 Questions - KHQ Right Now - News and Weather for Spokane and North Idaho |

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
With just a few weeks left at work and retirement coming all my friends ask " Why would you want to move to Idaho ".

I have given this alot of thought and there is no way to say it without sounding like I'm racist.
I am just sick of my town and my state turning into little Mexico.
40 kids in my sons classroom and the govenor is cutting teachers because the state is going broke paying for all the social programs . 45 kids next year.
Trash litters our streets and the front of homes with handfulls of children sitting there in the middle of it doing nothing. My dad would have kicked my ass for not taking the time to clean up our own yard without direction from him. It was a pride thing. . What has happened to the community sprit that led me to think that everyone's yard is always clean.
I must have watched Wally and the Beaver way too much...
Gangsters and murder every day front page of the Fresno Bee.
Cops being second guessed by liberal politicans because they were too harsh of these punks that show absolutely no regard for anybody.
I believe that if a cops has to chase some hoodlum across town at a high rate of speed his adrenline alone should find him innocent after he kicks this punks ass. Back to street duty with a pay raise and a job well done.
Now tonight in a local department store it looked like a bomb went off.
Clothes and shoes laying all over the floor with kids running unattended everywhere. Every advertisement over the PA system was in spanish.
I was imbarressed to be in there. What has happend to our town? We were outcasts in our own city.
I know that life won't be perfect when we get to Idaho.
I just want it to be an improvement from central California.
Now the TAXES , traffic , air polution, diminishing ground water, and OHV trail closures are a whole different rant.
Somebody slap me down and tell me how wrong I am.. Or is it just time for us to leave?
Now you know how we feel in Idaho when everyone moves here and the population grows. Our classroom sizes are growing and we need more money for schools but people don't want to pay higher taxes for that. Dmv fees are going up and they make you pay to launch your boats at the boat launches now. They all used to be free. We had are first murder in town in two years. A Mexican young man shot a local in the head because of a night club argument. That did not happen here 10 years ago. I get cut off in traffic all the time! Rude people push their way around you at the store. My hunting spot was totally invaded for the first time in 15 years. The ohv trails need more help because everyone buys 4 wheelers and dirt bikes and tears them up thinking that the forest service should fix them. I won't even ride or volunteer my time on Canfield mountain anymore because of all the people riding it. Eventually everything you hate I will hate because it is coming here. And when you raise your voice about it people tell you to shut up about it because they don't want to hear it. They found their paradise but forgot we already had one long before everyone decided to relocate here. It's really all about perspective and from your perspective Idaho is way better than Fresno. But I can remember a time when Fresno was a farming town just like our area used to be. Growth can be good but in the end what really happens is the destruction of your small town as it grows into a metro city. Idaho is on it's way and eventually I will be on my way out looking for my Idaho elsewhere. Because home got turned into suburbia...

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
I of course was TRYING to be funny. I dont hate anyone based on ethnicity, but I hate what Cali. has become. I dont blame mexicans for coming here, if I lived in mexico I would do the same thing they are doing, cept I would probably try to learn the language at bare minimum.. My sister in law is from Mexico, and she learned english and worked her butt off to get here LEGALLY..
It is a tough subject for many here, and I think DR was just venting. By NO means would I be down with Skinheads!!! One time when I was a kid I got jumped by a bunch of skinheads for drinking and socializing with a black friend of mine at a party. They basically attacked me when I wasnt looking and ended up breaking my finger while a few of them took the boot to me.. One on one they would have never stood up to me, but being the cowards they ARE they felt safe doing it in numbers..
Trust me when I say, if it was between living next to a bunch of skinheads, and a family of Mexicans I would chose the Mexicans.

Just trying to clarify a little, but still by many standards I would be considered just as much a racist as those guys because I think living in America we should speak english..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
With us as another family moving to Idaho we can only hope to be an asset to the State.
Another tax paying family hoping to help decrease the tax burden to life long Idaho residents by paying our share of new revenue to the county coffers.
I want to see our money go to Idaho and Emmett county. We truely believe the Idaho legislators can spend our money and do more with it than those of our current State goverment who seem to squander it on projects that seem wastefull to us.
I do plan on donating my time and money to many different causes around Emmett.
After working full time for nearly 40 years I am a bit worried with what to do with my spare time that I will soon have.
Volunteer at the Senior center and for OHV trail maintenance are the first things that come to mind. Help the janitor clean up after a school function. I will be there to help.
Many local fund raiser we will attend. I know only 2 people in Emmett and there is not a better way to introduce ourselves than to participate in community events.
Buy fishing license and OHV permits. Pay the car registration fees and property tax and give to Idaho not take anything but the pleasure of living there.
Here in Calif there are alot more takers than givers .
We are coming to Idaho because we are comfortable there. We feel like it's home.
I am sure it will take time for the locals to see we are good people .
Our actions will dictate how we are recieved by our new town.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Definitely leave. Everybody is racist nowadays. So what? boo hoo. I'm leaving CA for the same reasons. I really don't care if people are offended. I'm through being nice and pretending. I'm originally from CA but nowadays I feel like I'm an alien when I walk into a store. Definitely time to go!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 57,248 times
I say I hope that we are not far behind you! Last year the city of Murrieta, CA held an Easter egg hunt, as they do every year, and we took our three year old to enjoy the festivities...well you would have thought that the pinata had dropped. The age grouped, for kids only Easter egg hunt consisted of a hispanic mom pushing my son out of the way to get the eggs for her son. As fate would have it my son got the "golden" egg and won the prize, but it completely ruined the experience.
CA is broken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho