Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I just received this promo for the celebration of the bicentennial of fur trader/explorer David Thompson's first establishment of a trading post near Hope, and making contact with the Kalispel Tribe! http://www.davidthompson200.ca/eng/d...ampment_PR.pdf

From June 24 through June 27 there will be various celebrations around Hope and Clark Fork, arranged by the Bonner County Museum and the Kalispel, Salish, Kootenai, and Colville tribes, including lectures, an evening canoe trip from Hope to near the original site of Thompson's trading post the "Kullyspel House," and a Kalispel encampment at the Diamond T Ranch east of Clark Fork, featuring demonstration of traditional tribal skills, as well as a fur trader encampment (with shooting of flintlocks!). Space is limited, so the events require preregistration here: http://www.davidthompson200.ca/eng/d...gistration.pdf. The whole program is on the form.

By the way, David Thompson is also featured in this month's Sandpoint Magazine.

I wish we could go! I am passionate about the history of the Old West, in all its variations. Last week we stopped at the marker for the Kullyspel House on the Hope Peninsula. Besides, the Diamond T Ranch is a charming guest ranch located on River Road on the south side of the Clark Fork River, about 5 miles from the Clark Fork bridge. The views of the Cabinet mountains are incredible. Have fun!
David Thompson was an amazing guy and hardly anyone knows about him. Lots of things named after him in Northwestern Montana also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
David Thompson was an amazing guy and hardly anyone knows about him. Lots of things named after him in Northwestern Montana also.
The guy with Thompson Falls! The more I read about him, the more intrigued I am. I think I read recently that his journals are about to be published. Fur trader, some 15 years before "mountain men" invented themselves! A really cool story connected to NID and NWMT.You're right that very few people know his name. Next time we're in the area, we'll do a Thompson scouting trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho