Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM

95 posts, read 228,573 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to go visit idaho this summer, to check out some areas, like Caldwell. I was thinking of flying to Idaho and then renting a car to drive around... I'm seeing airfare beginning at $350+ . If I was wanting to fly to Boise (since that's where the airport is) from So. Calif, Inland empire area.... is it "worth" the expense instead of the time and gas driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
For me I HATE to fly so it would be worth the time and gas But for the $350 ticket your going to spend about that much in gas round trip. The drive there is pretty wide open, and can be a scenic one depending on how you go. If you were travelling alone I would probably suggest you fly Skittles.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
As Trace says, if you're going solo than the price would be close to the same either way. I prefer to drive, unless of course it's winter and then sign me up with a big bird

Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
You're probably looking at a good 18-22 hours depending on where you live if you drive, so that'll eat up a lot of you're time. Might be better to fly. If you can fly during the middle of the week, you might get better prices. Best connection is through Salt Lake City, IMO.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
ONT to BOI is a quick and easy thing, versus 2 days each way of driving. Unless you're independently wealthy, you work selling your time for money. 4 days away from work is X dollars lost, plus wear and tear on your body driving 36-44 hours RT, plus depreciation and maint on your car. I would fly....

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times
I would fly if you can find a better airfare. If you can't, what can be lost in driving? Roadtrips give you an opportunity to see surroundings you haven't noticed before. How long would it take to drive to Idaho from So. California? One of the ups is that you'll have a car already when you get there and won't have to worry about renting. It helps if you're sharing the driving of course. When I moved here to Austin, I drove from SLC, Utah and it was about a 21-24 hour drive. I'll probably and hopefully never do it again, but I don't have any regrets. I also lived in Caldwell for about a year when I was going to a boarding school there. It's a small town. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get there safe and sound.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Big Box of Cigars and a credit card...
Take the car and make some memmories

Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Big Box of Cigars and a credit card...
Take the car and make some memmories
Thats my way of thinking.. Like I always say when we see something cool.."Cant see that from a plane"... I love road trips myself.. For me Im kind of a hermit always at home working in my shop.. I really enjoy getting out and seeing new places, meeting people, eating new foods etc..

One thing though.. Travelling that kind of distance alone can be sketchy. There is alot of remote places between here and there. Even just having someone there to talk to and keep you alert is a good thing, and makes the hours tick by much faster..

I also get some of my best thinking done while driving.. Something about being away from here and on the road helps me unplug from the problems and just daydream and brainstorm...

But again, I think it might be better to fly all things considered and from what you said so far..

Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM

274 posts, read 952,493 times
I just got back from a two week road trip up to CDA. The drive wasn't an issue at all. In fact it was pretty relaxing and was about 24 hours driving time one way for me. Plus I travel with a German Shepherd. It just wouldn't be the same without him along.

(A viewpoint from the other North Idaho addict on the board named Trace)

Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
When we were younger driving was the only way to go. Now I almost refuse to fly so it is still driving for us. Just harder on us. But if you are planning on seeing a lot of Idaho in a short time it could be very hard to spend the two long 10 hours days getting here then taking off for more more driving. I am relating 20 hour drive from Cambridge ID, 100 miles to Boise, to Desert Hot Springs CA. Which was the last trip we made down to SO CA.

I think for this kind of trip I would fly to conserve energy to spend looking around Idaho. That is unless you are sure you are going to like Caldwell and want to live there. Then you do not have a lot of Idaho driving to do.

Really it is all about how you feel about long road trips. I think the cost could be close to the same fly verses driving.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho