Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 07:16 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I guess we are going to miss out? Wasn't planning to plant until April.
If you buy from New Leaf they hold on to your trees until the right time to plant them. For Bonner County that will typically be sometime in May, but that's for years in which we actually have a winter.

All Seasons in Sandpoint is another good source for fruit trees.

We've put in a small orchard of about 15 trees over the past couple years with trees from both of those places.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 12:52 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
A little plug for Annie's Orchard in Clark Fork! Friendly, knowledgeable people, good stock, and they will also hold on to potted plants for you until it's time to plant them. They also sell cool sheds.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:19 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
I guess we are going to miss out? Wasn't planning to plant until April.
New Leaf holds the trees in their greenhouse until planting time. The trees I ordered online will be here too early to plant out, so I put them into pots and keep them in the garage until it warms up.

The same for the bare root fruit trees at Costco. Great price, and much too early to plant them, so I put them into pots and keep them inside for a little while.

By April, the places that mail order fruit tress are a lot warmer and all of their trees will be awake and growing, so it is too late to mail them. You can still get a bare root out of cold storage but the selection is greatly reduced. Already many of the desirable varieties are marked "sold out",

In North Idaho we are limited in what we can grow, if we want fruit trees, they must be cold hardy varieties that bloom late. You can't just plant anything and think that it will grow regardless of the weather.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
There used to be an apricot tree in Bozeman MT, that fruited like crazy. It was grown from a seed. Own-root tend to be more cold-hardy than grafted. Stone fruit breed true, so it's worth trying seeds. They need to overwinter in the ground to sprout, but some do come up.

Dunno about others but when Nanking cherries bloom can be controlled by how much sun they get. I have one out in the open and several volunteers growing in my side jungle, where they never see the sun -- those bloom about a month later, so they don't lose the buds to a late freeze. The one out in the sun sometimes blooms in early March and loses the whole crop.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:03 PM

561 posts, read 438,070 times
Thank you all for the info and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:05 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
So NIDers are finally in for some serious snow! 10' in the mountains across the Pacific and Inland NW, is what the weather folks are saying--? Wow. Hope that will make a difference in the fire danger this summer. Stay safe!

Old 02-29-2024, 03:14 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
In Rathdrum, we received six inches of snow yesterday night and morning. Today, it is gone! Temps in the high 30s and low 40s combined with steady rain and drizzle will do that.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-01-2024, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So NIDers are finally in for some serious snow! 10' in the mountains across the Pacific and Inland NW, is what the weather folks are saying--? Wow. Hope that will make a difference in the fire danger this summer. Stay safe!
Is it gonna make it all the way up to my neck of the woods? As a firefighter I really hope we don't have a bad fire season. Need all the snow we can get up here!

Old 03-02-2024, 02:45 PM

31 posts, read 12,163 times
Quote:
Is it gonna make it all the way up to my neck of the woods?
Well, it certainly wasn't measured in feet. Maybe a few inches here by Pend Oreille. But it's clear and sunny at the moment. Of course, there's some more on the way -- 70-90% with possible 1-3 inches for a few days in a row....

Old 03-02-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar View Post
Well, it certainly wasn't measured in feet. Maybe a few inches here by Pend Oreille. But it's clear and sunny at the moment. Of course, there's some more on the way -- 70-90% with possible 1-3 inches for a few days in a row....
Had about 4-5" around the airport, my house and three mile. I'm still waiting for when we get dumped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho