Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Oh yeah, is that the "You cannot buy more than 50 rounds a month?" law they got in the works? sigh...

I won't carry concealed w/o permit...prefer not to go to prison for 5-10. I finish school Summer 2011...then Cali can kiss me arse good bye. I'm not even sure I'll want to come back to visit my family.

It's a smoothering thing. I feel like I am being crushed under the weight of government and I am having trouble breathing. I will never accept a nanny state ruling over my life...hopefully there will always be a place to move too to escape that bullcrap. Now if only I could find a way to opt out of social security and medicare taxes.
First offense is a misdermeanor in Kali... BUT if you have an impact weapon or automatic knife its a felony!! Makes alot of sense huh? If it was a felony every basketball player, rapper, and most movie stars would be in the clink.. My wife managed an AMPM which statistically is about as dangerous as being a Cop.. Cops used to tell her she should carry a gun all the time... She would just smile and say I dont think I could do that but behind the counter was her Coronado leather gun purse (hides the gun but has instant access) with a Glock 27..HA!!

I used to have a gun in the car all the time when travelling.. Always yes sir'ed the officer and gave him no reason to suspect me, had my papers in order if I ever got pulled over etc... Never had the car searched or my person ever.. Just me I'd rather go to prison than not be able to protect my family.. Like I said, it was the cost of doing life in Ca for me...

It will be a good long time before I go back there...IF ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,103 times
This might interest some folks.Who Is The Armed Citizen? :The Armed Citizen (http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/2009/11/13/who-is-the-armed-citizen/ - broken link)

Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Joox, you asked an honest question in a polite manner and deserve a suitable response. There are people that are more eloquent than myself that would do a better job, but I'll take a shot at it.
That was such a great post, Toyman. It illustrates the issue in a nutshell, with an understanding of why some people from elsewhere have no comprehension of the importance of the gun issue in the West, including ID, usually through no fault of their own. You might also add (which is also something than people outside a traditional gun culture have a hard time understanding) that a well-functioning, well-designed gun is a work of art to the gun owner. And that has nothing to do with being bloodthirsty (which at some point I used to think! ), and everything to do with appreciating the combination of tradition, history, functionality, and design.

The day I took a 5 hour gun safety course simply because I thought it was the right thing to do (and I was really nervous! All those guns! ), that was the day I began to understand our gun tradition and the 2nd Amendment. Besides, I've always loved Westerns, so perhaps I've been prepped all along! To make this more Idaho-specific, I know there is a gun range in Post Falls where they teach gun safety classes. I'm sure there is one in Idaho Falls. Now that we know that Joox has taking hunting classes, so Joox, perhaps you might want to take a handgun safety class in IF? I really recommend it, even if you have no intention of ever buying a gun. And I have to say that your host-dad had strange priorities if he thought a good ice-breaker would be to show you his guns!

Besides, it isn't true that no Europeans understand about guns. Imagine my surprise when I found out that some good friends of mine in Scandinavia have a gun club membership, and go to the range on a regular basis! They can't bring the guns home--the weapons are locked up at the range--but they can shoot to their hearts' content at the range. At least that's what I understood the story to be. And here I'd avoided talking about guns with them when they visited because I thought they'd freak out!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Besides, it isn't true that no Europeans understand about guns. Imagine my surprise when I found out that some good friends of mine in Scandinavia have a gun club membership, and go to the range on a regular basis! They can't bring the guns home--the weapons are locked up at the range--but they can shoot to their hearts' content at the range. At least that's what I understood the story to be. And here I'd avoided talking about guns with them when they visited because I thought they'd freak out!
Clark Fork Fantast - It's nice to have another Scandinavian here at the forum to remind me of things that influence the cultural mindset in which I have been raised. It's easy to forget vital things that formed the person I'm today.

As Clark Fork Fantast describes, I have lived most of my life in a community where it's prohibited to have weapons at home. The only weapons allowed at home are antique rifles that are dismantled in some manner, i.e. they are no longer usable. People may keep them on display as a piece of art.

I had friends that competed in "target shooting", which didn't seem odd to me at all since they - as CFF pointed out - only were allowed to use and keep the guns at the range. I never went with them to the range though, mainly because it never seemed appealing to sit and watch someone else shoot at targets.

Since we are not allowed to keep guns at home or carry them around, it was one of the big culture chocks I got when first arriving to the US. It has been about 15 years since my American host-dad showed me his gun, and I hope I have a more nuanced view of guns now than I had back then. I still don't understand why one would like to keep a gun at home, but I don't judge people who do. I do think it's people that kill people - not guns. Therefore I can understand the mindset of providing gun safety classes and/or making sure your kids get to know how to handle a gun and to teach them them how not to handle it. I don't judge, I'm only fascinated by the cultural differences.

And since I usually adapt quite well to where ever I live, don't be surprised if you see me at the shooting range one of these days.

(I need to practice to keep my mouth shut though. Or at least try not to be so Scandinavian, i.e. remember to express myself in a manner that may not come across as blunt or rude to Americans. This is another cultural difference that I think is quite fascinating by the way )

/joox

Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Joox,

Interesting you say you're rude...being Scandinavian-American usually means being too polite and nice...I'm Swedish-Scottish 3rd generation American, and my Swedish relatives here are all about not offending anyone....

Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 AM

121 posts, read 347,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
I still don't understand why one would like to keep a gun at home...
For some of us, it's because they are actually useful. When it's time to butcher the pig, what would I do without a gun? When the cat gets so old and sick she throws up every day and is obviously in pain, it's time to take her out and put her out of her misery. When there's a raccoon or skunk out bothering the hen house, you shoot it.

Time was when guns were a very important part of a man's tool set. Most of us don't have much need for them any more, but some of us still do. I realize there are other options for everything I use a gun for. It would be more inconvenient and expensive, but I could find other ways to do the things I need to do without guns. They're just easier and more humane than the options.

I've never had occasion to aim a gun at a human, much less actually shoot one, and I don't expect I ever will. But I shoot animals occasionally, when there's a need. Frankly, I'm glad it isn't illegal yet.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
Clark Fork Fantast - It's nice to have another Scandinavian here at the forum to remind me of things that influence the cultural mindset in which I have been raised. It's easy to forget vital things that formed the person I'm today.

As Clark Fork Fantast describes, I have lived most of my life in a community where it's prohibited to have weapons at home. The only weapons allowed at home are antique rifles that are dismantled in some manner, i.e. they are no longer usable. People may keep them on display as a piece of art.

I had friends that competed in "target shooting", which didn't seem odd to me at all since they - as CFF pointed out - only were allowed to use and keep the guns at the range. I never went with them to the range though, mainly because it never seemed appealing to sit and watch someone else shoot at targets.

Since we are not allowed to keep guns at home or carry them around, it was one of the big culture chocks I got when first arriving to the US. It has been about 15 years since my American host-dad showed me his gun, and I hope I have a more nuanced view of guns now than I had back then. I still don't understand why one would like to keep a gun at home, but I don't judge people who do. I do think it's people that kill people - not guns. Therefore I can understand the mindset of providing gun safety classes and/or making sure your kids get to know how to handle a gun and to teach them them how not to handle it. I don't judge, I'm only fascinated by the cultural differences.

And since I usually adapt quite well to where ever I live, don't be surprised if you see me at the shooting range one of these days.

(I need to practice to keep my mouth shut though. Or at least try not to be so Scandinavian, i.e. remember to express myself in a manner that may not come across as blunt or rude to Americans. This is another cultural difference that I think is quite fascinating by the way )

/joox
Joox I must apologize for my knee jerk reaction to you... I am sorry.
You seem to be aprehensive, but open minded.. There is nothing wrong with that! unless your so open minded your brains fall out..Ha!!

Please accept my apology, and I hope you dont hold it against me or my rabid pro-gun compatriots who cherish our right to bear arms, and protect our families and friends...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Does a regular fold close knife a felony too? What if one were to call it a utility knife? lol

As for a reason for keeping a gun in your home, let me tell you a story about my step dad.

In February of 1983, in San Diego California, two men armed with double barrell shotguns broken down the door of my house. I was visiting my biological father that night(I was 5 yrs old), so only my step dad and mother were home. My step dad reacted slowly as he had just fallen asleep an hour and half earlier, a revolver lay on his nightstand loaded with five bullets. By the time he stood up and grab his revolver, the enemy was already in position for the kill. His bedroom faced the front door and the bedroom itself had no door, so they had a clear shot nearly immediately.

They fired, hitting my step dads hand, exploding the pistol grip and severing his index finger completely off - where it splattered against the wall behind. Undetered, my step dad reach down with his bloody stump to get his pistol, where he was shot again in the side of the head. Dazed, but not defeated, he reached again grabbing the pistol even though he was blinded by the impact of the previous shot. He turned and fired blindly, taking another shot in the chest from the second gunman outside the front door. Somehow, someway, he hit the man laying on the floor inside his house in the head and shoulder, and also striking the gunman outside through the wall in the leg.

Three out of five shots fired blindly hit their marks, pretty incredible. My step dad heard them retreating, he screamed and charged to the door where the men had already hastily ran out into the street and away from the scene. This is where he finally collapsed to his gun wounds.

He survived, but he was never the same. He instilled into myself and my brother and sister the plain reality that criminals are armed to the teeth and the only way to protect oneself and their family is to be equally armed, yet better trained. The cops arrived 45 minutes after the crime occurred, good thing my step dad had a gun or he'd be dead and I wouldn't have a brother or sister.

The point of this story is to show that gun control laws only strip law abiding citizens of their rights to protect themselves. Criminals have no problem risking jail time to obtain illegal weapons.

Do I fear guns? Depends on who has them... I fear them in the hands of evil people, but I'd feel safer if I knew far more law abiding people were armed. Criminal elements make up a small fraction of the total population, just think how much a deterant an armed populace would be for the average criminal looking to rob, burglarize, or mug?

Hopefully America will keep its founding principals. I do think it was less than kosher for your host family to parade you around weapons upon your arrival. lol That seems pretty irresponsible to me. I hope you take a few gun training courses. You will learn how to safely operate and use a gun through the instruction of a trained professional. I decided a long time ago that if some a-hole tries to make me into a victim they won't have an easy go at it...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Does a regular fold close knife a felony too? What if one were to call it a utility knife? lol
Nah, they sell those in gas stations. You can even pick up butter fly knives if you look hard enough. And pretty much any weapon can be had a gun show.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Nah, they sell those in gas stations. You can even pick up butter fly knives if you look hard enough. And pretty much any weapon can be had a gun show.
I know they are not illegal to own, but are they illegal to carry concealed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho