Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 AM

161 posts, read 396,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyaussie View Post
are all americans crazy..are you all living in fear for your lives... is it normal behavior to think you need automatic rifles to defend your family and not 1 gun but 3 or 4 ,how did your country get so f...k.d up ?
Do you guys think its normal to have drive by shootings, school shootings etc ..kids being searched before going into school for guns. And then you read some comments..., i need my guns for hunting, what a joke ..with all these guns are there any animals left over there to shoot....with such a big drug problem in the usa ,the number of people with mental health issues are only going to increase.. thank god you have your guns to defend yourselves.. America at war with it self
hehe, asking for a beatdown but I will refrain.

The most obvious retort is that the ENTIRE country of Australia has 22,230,236 people. That's Los Angeles and NYC combined. When you jam that many people together, violence occurs.

The 2nd most obvious retort is you guys don't have an illegal immigrant problem. Australia also has very strict immigration laws. Thus they are able to keep a mostly homogeneous population. Makes it easier to get along. Less misunderstandings due to cultural differences.

But it's true, the violence is sad. Unfortunately there are always bad people that want to do bad things. It's nice to be able to protect my family w/o the fear of becoming a criminal for owning a gun. Because you know that the evil people will have one whether it's legal or not. (and they do sadly)

Back on topic, this is why transplants like me flock to states like ID. We believe in the constitution and the vision of the founding fathers with a passion. I love this state and what it represents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Quote:
are all americans crazy..are you all living in fear for your lives... is it normal behavior to think you need automatic rifles to defend your family and not 1 gun but 3 or 4 ,how did your country get so f...k.d up ?
Do you guys think its normal to have drive by shootings, school shootings etc ..kids being searched before going into school for guns. And then you read some comments..., i need my guns for hunting, what a joke ..with all these guns are there any animals left over there to shoot....with such a big drug problem in the usa ,the number of people with mental health issues are only going to increase.. thank god you have your guns to defend yourselves.. America at war with it self
You have the freedom to stay in the country you live in, my friend.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Quote:
To answer your question directly...yes. In urban areas people fear for the safety of their children on a daily basis...them being caught in a gang shooting or kidnapped/molested/killed by some sicko. They must worry about carjackings, home invasions, etc. The gang problem is out of control. Made considerably worse by the illegal immigration (specifically MS13 and 18th Street) but not IMO the main issue.

To the the main point, what we have seen in the United States is that in places that allow concealed carry of handguns, crime goes down quite a bit. Idaho is one of those states, and we recognize some 38'ish other states' permit holders to carry concealed here. Licensing and training is required of course. And

I think you're missing some critical understanding regarding hunting. Here in Northern Idaho there are so many deer that I will often see 1-2 dozen in a 2 mile stretch of road outside my spread, and we're not really considered "remote" by Idaho standards. Heck, we have paved road up to within a mile of us...nearly "suburban" for this area. But people here really DO hunt for meat to feed their families. Probably 5% of the people I know hunt for sustenance, and about 50% of the people I know hunt for trophy/sport but also eat what they shoot. You have to remember that we have immense forests here and a small population.

I'm all for you making an attempt to understand how vastly different our cultures are (beyond us being democracies and English-speaking), but let's leave the confrontational approach out next time you post. It's not contributing anything to civil discourse. If you want to understand, we will help. If you just want to make snarky comments, you're wasting your time and ours.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM

121 posts, read 347,975 times
Quote:
This guy has obviously never been to Idaho.

No it is not normal behavior to even own an automatic rifle. I do know someone that used to own an automatic rifle. But it definitely isn't the norm.

It also isn't normal around here to have drive-by shootings or school shootings. In fact neither of those has even happened in my town so far as I know. The school kids are not searched for guns. And yeah, in Idaho, the animals are a bigger problem than the guns. The biggest animal problem I have is coyotes (the four-legged kind) but a bit further out the deer are a real problem. I know one family that had to shoot two mountain lions last year. Maybe in Australia hunting is a joke, but not in Idaho.

Yeah, drugs are a big problem, for idiots. Those of us with brains just say no and it isn't much of an issue.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,103 times
Quote:
Why is it every country we have saved in history has a problem with us? They called in WW2, we showed up and won the war for them. You would think he would be grateful for that, then again who cares what he thinks.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Why is it every country we have saved in history has a problem with us? They called in WW2, we showed up and won the war for them. You would think he would be grateful for that, then again who cares what he thinks.
It's the typical response of the anti-gun brainwashed sheeple. I just read my latest edition of American Rifleman. There is an excellent interview in there of Ted Nugent.

I am very upset, yet not surprised, that my state of California received the highest grade from the Brady Group whackos. Coincidentally, California has some of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. Utah got the lowest grade from this group, yet their violent crime rates are 75% below the national average. Go figure.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,850 times
Heck, NOW in Australia even Crocodile Dundey would be arrested for having his Bowie Knife!!! Hows the crime rates over there going now since Aussies are pretty much defenseless? I hear its not going well..

BTW, Tim.. The Nuge may be the rock and roll madman, but a more eloquent speaker on the 2nd amendmant you will not soon find.. Ted ROCKS!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Very interesting analyses of the enforced gun buy-back/gun ban in Australia (where gun rights have never been constitutionally guaranteed):
http://www.gunsandcrime.org/auresult.html
http://gunowners.org/sk0703.htm

Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,103 times
Nuge is the man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho