Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

364 posts, read 497,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
We should also concern ourselves by not splitting hairs.

Mexico is not suing Arizona, however Mexico has involved itself with the lawsuit via an amicus brief. By doing so Mexico will help the lawsuit by providing documents that it feels will help its side to possibly testifying in court and yes...even giving a formal closing argument (though that is apparently very rare.)

Let's stop pretending that an amicus brief is the equivelant of signing a petition. It's not.
I'm neither splitting hairs nor pretending an amicus is signing a petition. I'm calling for the truth no more no less.

If we want to discuss what an amicus is and how it may be used, then I think you and I agree to that. Certainly, the courts have used information in amicus curiae to help reach judgments.

Like I said, Mexico is an interested party. I appreciate that you are willing to tell the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Once we've left the realm of reason, then anything goes. We should concern ourselves with the truth.
I don't think millions of illegal aliens care about the truth.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't think millions of illegal aliens care about the truth.
But millions of Americans do.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,842,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
2 wrongs dont maka a right.

it was only a matter of time before someone pulled the b b b but bush.. card.
what are the two wrongs? mexico has no legal foothold in this country...they may file a "friend of the court" brief against the arizona law...which has about much legal tender as those cities that passed resolutions backing Arizona.

Mexico can not bring any law suit to a US court unless the Country of Mexico is somehow harmed by an entity here in the US...The Arizona law does have any effect on Mexico what so ever.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,525,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
what are the two wrongs? mexico has no legal foothold in this country...they may file a "friend of the court" brief against the arizona law...which has about much legal tender as those cities that passed resolutions backing Arizona.

Mexico can not bring any law suit to a US court unless the Country of Mexico is somehow harmed by an entity here in the US...The Arizona law does have any effect on Mexico what so ever.
oh I see, no effect on Mexico what so ever

its economic, some don't see the forest for the trees

Mexico's remittances down 12 pct in 1st quarter - BusinessWeek

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,525,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Tuco is right though. An amicus brief does not make one a plaintiff. The headlines are misleading and whether from ignorance or willful deception some are claiming that Mexico has filed suit, which is erroneous.
correct as I said in another thread, but no sense in name calling or bad mouthing others

Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
oh I see, no effect on Mexico what so ever

its economic, some don't see the forest for the trees

Mexico's remittances down 12 pct in 1st quarter - BusinessWeek
The economic effect explains Mexico's interest. But they can't file a lawsuit unless they have standing. The economic effect that is the result of the illegal actions of their citizens can't be used to establish standing. Countries that have citizens who are involved in the drug trade, for instance, cannot sue the United States because our drug laws would negatively impact the illegal actions of their citizens. Criminality cannot be used to establish standing. However, foreign countries can have an interest in US law cases and can file briefs explaining their interest and position in lawsuits.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM

8,078 posts, read 10,670,394 times
This absolutly blew my mind when I saw the article in USA Today this morning. Absolutely unbelievable.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM

364 posts, read 244,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But millions of Americans do.
yep
milions of americans
now know bout tha ilegal alien menice
an nor an mor of us want em gone

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The states have absolutely NO power, except on issues about which the federal government has remained mute.

Amendment 10
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
the people.

The federal government is not mute on matters of due process for persons suspected of a crime. Therefore, on such matters, the states are powerless. 28 words. Why doesn't anybody read them?
Wrong...settled case.

States and local police may enforce criminal provisions of federal immigration law. See Gonzales v. City of Peoria (AZ), 722 F.2d 468 (9th Cir. 1983). The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed in Gonzales v. City of Peoria that “nothing in federal law precluded…police from enforcing the criminal provisions of the Immigration and Naturalization Act.” It is well established that state and local police possess the inherent authority to arrest aliens who have violated the criminal provisions of federal immigration law. Said alien is then turned over to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or a law enforcement officer authorized by the federal government to verify immigration status. A.R.S. § 11- 1051(E).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration