Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think 35 million Illegal Immigrants is who you should be venting your frustration at. We Americans like Immigrants when they come in the front door. We don't like the ones kicking in the back door.
Well put, but obviously there also needs to be a limit on legal immigration

Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,246,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

There already is but I agree, we appear to be growing larger than our infrastructure can keep up with. One thing for certain, legal immigrants add to the tax base while most illegals contribute very little as far as taxes. They do know how to obtain services for free.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM

436 posts, read 756,743 times
Quote:
In my opinion, we need to tighten the lid on immigration completely. We're full up much like Australia is and we don't need anymore people.
I'm not sure if I agree with you. You do understand that current federal entitlement programs are only sustainable with a growing contributing tax base. Even if you make these programs solvent, the current population growth alone will still not be able to accommodate these programs in the future. So, unless you dismantle these programs first, "tightening" the lid on "LEGAL" immigration is not the answer. However, as for H1b visas, I do agree that there is a problem with companies hiring foreigners over American citizens who are equally qualified.

Quote:
By your responses, perhaps you are a good example of what the poster is talking about. You seem to make negative stereotypes on some immigrants. Not all immigrants who come from 3rd world countries are poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
Ok, first off, of course I do not support illegal immigration. In fact, I would actually support a militarized border (try trespassing in other parts of the world). Besides the fact that it is a crime, it causes legitimate immigrants more time, money, and headaches going through the system to immigrate legally. I do care about the people, though.

But the point of my post above was not about illegal immigration; it was about the sentiment toward immigrants. And in my opinion, the entire illegal immigration issue is just a disguise.
Yes, xenophobia is a part of America. Yes, there is discrimination directed toward people of different distinct cultures. Trust me, I know. During college, I was driving with my friend through back-water U.S.A. His car broke down, and so we looked for a mechanic to get his car fixed. We went to two different shops in that town. Neither would serve us. Why, you ask? Because both told us, they don't serve "chinks". We ended up having to tow his car to a mechanic in Philadelphia which was an hour away.
Alsok, for god sakes, I hated when that Wasabi bud-light commercial came out. At work, I had several peers keep coming to me and screaming out in my ear... Wasabi!!!! (with an Asian accent) In fact, some didn't stop until I told them I would report them to human resources.

Do I have a sour taste in my mouth thinking about it? Yes. There are some losers out there, but most Americans are not like that. I know how a few bad examples can lead to stereotypes. So don't fall into it.

Also, if your point was not about illegal immigration, and about the sentiment toward all immigrants; perhaps, you should have posted this in the Legal immigration forum.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 PM

16 posts, read 8,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
... the real issue is that they are anti- Immigrants.

Illegal or legal. As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!

Do Americans really welcome immigrants? I laugh whenever I (rarely) see a protester who goes on TV and says, "we're all for legal immigration." Yeah, right!!

I've come to the conclusion that only second or third generation immigrants have the chance to be treated equally as Americans, as long as all of his or her rich cultural traits have been 100% stripped and assimimlated into the grandiose American culture of McDonalds and Walmart.

The truth is majority of you are xenophobes hypocritically waiving the flag of "illegal immigration."

Being accepted as an American is just an illusion for legal immigrants.
Don't like us? Deport yourself.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,466,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
Yes, xenophobia is a part of America. Yes, there is discrimination directed toward people of different distinct cultures. Trust me, I know. During college, I was driving with my friend through back-water U.S.A. His car broke down, and so we looked for a mechanic to get his car fixed. We went to two different shops in that town. Neither would serve us. Why, you ask? Because both told us, they don't serve "chinks". We ended up having to tow his car to a mechanic in Philadelphia which was an hour away.
OK, again, everyone needs to toughen up a bit. We all have stories where something like that has happened. I am as white as white, but when pulled over in the Deep South, I handed, as requested, my license and registration over to the cop (who, by the way, was black). When he saw my NY license, his brows went up and he said "Damn, I got me a Yankee". Was I mad - No, I find this story funny. I have met people from the heartland of America who I am SURE are looking for my horns since I am Roman Catholic. Again, I laugh about it.

Not everyone you meet is gonna love you like your Mom does. Through-out the country - even in the big cities - you will be judged on something. Don't take it so personally. That's how you build a chip on your shoulder. Shrug it off.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,657,840 times
Quote:
In my opinion, we need to tighten the lid on immigration completely. We're full up much like Australia is and we don't need anymore people. All more immigration is doing is bringing wages down for people, hence why so many people from the 3rd world keep pouring in here because these people are willing to work for lower wages. We need to stop immigration from the 3rd world completely, and severely restrict immigration from more developed nations, and put in safeguards that an employer has to go out of its way to prove that an American was not found suitable for a job.
I agree. We have too many people, and little resources without pissing off some enivro-nazis.

We should adopt Canada's set skills system. No skills, no immigrant.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
No americans are anti-illegals and there is no movement against legal immagration that has been pushed for a long time. Some unions seem to want to limit visas but nothing else.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,230,728 times
Whoa! Must suck to be you. Visited the Statue of Liberty lately?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM

364 posts, read 244,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I agree. We have too many people, and little resources without pissing off some enivro-nazis.

We should adopt Canada's set skills system. No skills, no immigrant.
yep
canadas laws
an mexico laws bout ilegal aliens too

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM

436 posts, read 756,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
OK, again, everyone needs to toughen up a bit. We all have stories where something like that has happened.
I disagree with you. Some of us are confronted with racism a bit more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Not everyone you meet is gonna love you like your Mom does. Through-out the country - even in the big cities - you will be judged on something. Don't take it so personally. That's how you build a chip on your shoulder. Shrug it off.
If you read my comment, I did shrug it off (Though I did take it personally. To not do so is not human). I said that one shouldn't hold the actions of a few to the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration