Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,961,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Border Protection, Anti-terrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the supportive side of the issue, it is argued that living illegally in the United States is civil infraction, and that this bill merely aims at re-cementing U.S. immigration codes that have long been neglected by changing the seriousness of the infraction from a civil to a criminal one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut
It should be a felony the first time that an illegal enters our country and remain a felony while here. The Republicans tried to make that so a couple of years ago but it was shot down by the Democrats.
Thanks chicagonut... but if I'm reading it right the timeline in that link suggests a Republican majority in the Senate.

" It was passed by the United States House of Representatives on December 16, 2005 by a vote of 239 to 182 (with 92% of Republicans supporting, 82% of Democrats opposing), but did not pass the Senate"
"On May 11, 2006, Senate leaders declared that they would try to pass an immigration bill of their own by the end of the month"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM

The 2006 immigration bill (S. 2611) passed the Senate but died in committee. They couldn't reconcile the differences - the House version was more harsh & made being an illegal a felony while the Senate bill was more moderate and favored amnesty.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The 2006 immigration bill (S. 2611) passed the Senate but died in committee. They couldn't reconcile the differences - the House version was more harsh & made being an illegal a felony while the Senate bill was more moderate and favored amnesty.
I can agree with the more harsh version. It should be a felony.
Oh you only raped 1 woman? No big deal. Oh you raped 2 women? You must be a monster.
I don't get the double standard.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Thanks chicagonut... but if I'm reading it right the timeline in that link suggests a Republican majority in the Senate.

" It was passed by the United States House of Representatives on December 16, 2005 by a vote of 239 to 182 (with 92% of Republicans supporting, 82% of Democrats opposing), but did not pass the Senate"
"On May 11, 2006, Senate leaders declared that they would try to pass an immigration bill of their own by the end of the month"
I don't think the Republicans held the majority in the Senate at that time but I could be wrong. As for the House, note that 92% of Republicans supported it and 82% of Democrats did not. How many Democrats vs Republicans in actual numbers were there? My memory on this was that it was the Democrats who defeated it but then that was 5 years ago. The point is though that there was legislation presented to make illegal entry the first time a felony rather than a civil infraction and it needs to be brought up and passed this time around.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't think the Republicans held the majority in the Senate at that time but I could be wrong. As for the House, note that 92% of Republicans supported it and 82% of Democrats did not. How many Democrats vs Republicans in actual numbers were there? My memory on this was that it was the Democrats who defeated it but then that was 5 years ago. The point is though that there was legislation presented to make illegal entry the first time a felony rather than a civil infraction and it needs to be brought up and passed this time around.
Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act (CIRA, S. 2611) was a United States Senate bill introduced in the 109th Congress (2005-2006) by Sen. Arlen Specter [PA] on April 7, 2006. Co-sponsors, who signed on the same day, were Sen. Hagel [NE], Sen. Martinez [FL], Sen. McCain [AZ], Sen. Kennedy [MA], Sen. Graham [SC], and Sen. Brownback [KS].

It was passed on May 25, 2006, by a vote of 62-36.

United States Senate elections, November 2004
55 Republicans/ 45 Democrats
United States Senate elections, November 2006
49 Republicans/ 51 Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration