Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

SFGate: Politics Blog : Still knotted with Boxer, Fiorina goes off on SF as sanctuary city

if AZ can't touch the subject of Illegal Aliens then CA shouldn't be able to either.

Hypocrisy? Let's hear more twisted logic on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,567,763 times
Because San Francisco's case, and Arizona's case are DIFFERENT, that's why !! You'll just have to take my word....you probably wouldn't understand, but believe me, it's different !..... (sigh)

Next question, please......

Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Evidently that is the excuse Obama and crew are using! It's either or.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,964,191 times
On what legal basis would they go after SF?

The basis of the federal case against Arizona is that -the way US immigration law is written - illegal entry is a felony but illegal presence is a civil violation. Arizona's new law treats the civil violation as a felony. Many believe that illegal presence should be a felony but right now it isn't. Democrat and Republican Congress's have had decades to change this but they haven't. From a legal viewpoint & based on legal precedents I expect the feds to win their case.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

The basis of the federal case against Arizona is that -the way US immigration law is written - illegal entry is a felony but illegal presence is a civil violation. Arizona's new law treats the civil violation as a felony. Many believe that illegal presence should be a felony but right now it isn't. Democrat and Republican Congress's have had decades to change this but they haven't. From a legal viewpoint & based on legal precedents I expect the feds to win their case.
Where in the Arizona law does it declare that illegal presence is a felony? Once an illegal is caught they are turned over to ICE to deal with so what are you talking about?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,292 times
Quote:

So, if someone breaks into a bank at night that illegal entry can be a felony. However, if the thief steals any money that should just be a civil violation?
Sounds about right to me. If immigration laws can be so utterly stupid then why not all others?

AZ is enforcing the law. SF is breaking it.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:15 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,964,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
So, if someone breaks into a bank at night that illegal entry can be a felony. However, if the thief steals any money that should just be a civil violation?
Sounds about right to me. If immigration laws can be so utterly stupid then why not all others?

AZ is enforcing the law. SF is breaking it.
I'm not saying I agree with the law but that is what it is. Using your analogy it's the difference between breaking-and-entering (felony) and trespass (misdemeanor depending on the circumstances -felony if you steal something).

Quote:
AZ is enforcing the law
That is the basis of the federal case - Arizona can enforce federal criminal law but not federal civil violations. Arizona will lose this one. Elect someone who will change the law.

"If the law supposes that ....the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience." - Mr Bumble

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,292 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with the law but that is what it is. Using your analogy it's the difference between breaking-and-entering (felony) and trespass (misdemeanor depending on the circumstances -felony if you steal something).

That is the basis of the federal case - Arizona can enforce federal criminal law but not federal civil violations. Arizona will lose this one. Elect someone who will change the law.

"If the law supposes that ....the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience." - Mr Bumble
I understand. However, it is pretty damn stupid to say that entering our country illegally is a felony, yet "being here" is a misdemeanor. If one is a FELON for entering the country, then one is still a FELON for being here!
(I know you don't make the law or agree with it. I am just stating my viewpoint.)

Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,871,266 times
Quote:

I think you need to read Az1070. They are making it a state crime to be in their state. Nothing about not being able to enforce Fed civil violations. And all cases go to ICE. San Francisco is refusing to enforce a Fed law. Hummmmm....

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,578,536 times
Quote:

Would you mind posting the “felony” section of the bill? I read SB 1070, but I don’t recall seeing it. I have heard several people claim it also “legalizes racial profiling.” I also missed that. Perhaps they're in the same section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration