Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Florida attorney general proposes immigration legislation - CNN.com

".....McCollum unveiled the proposal Wednesday. It would require law enforcement officers to check suspected illegal immigrants' status in the course of a lawful stop. It would also require Florida businesses to use the E-Verify system to check that applicants are legally authorized to work and would enhance penalties for illegal aliens who commit crimes in Florida."

and

"The legislation also creates a sentencing enhancement so that illegal aliens who commit crimes in Florida would face increased prison time. This provision is similar to the gang statute that McCollum and Snyder worked to pass in 2008, which increases penalties for criminal gang members who commit crimes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Florida attorney general proposes immigration legislation - CNN.com

".....McCollum unveiled the proposal Wednesday. It would require law enforcement officers to check suspected illegal immigrants' status in the course of a lawful stop. It would also require Florida businesses to use the E-Verify system to check that applicants are legally authorized to work and would enhance penalties for illegal aliens who commit crimes in Florida."

and

"The legislation also creates a sentencing enhancement so that illegal aliens who commit crimes in Florida would face increased prison time. This provision is similar to the gang statute that McCollum and Snyder worked to pass in 2008, which increases penalties for criminal gang members who commit crimes."

This is way-cool!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

107 posts, read 151,569 times
I think this is just one of many steps we must take to support legal immigration. We can't simply support illegal immigration and turn a blind eye to the genuine needs of the middle class american who would like a legitimate hand up and not a hand out.

More needs to be done though. I must admit I grow tired of even supporting american dead beats who live better than I on taxes I have no choice to pay. So if paying for americans upsets me and most people ( I mean the ones who refuse to help themselves) you can imagine how I feel to now get the previledge of supporting people who are here illegally.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM

76 posts, read 84,046 times
Whether Arizona SB1070 failed or won, it was a stepping stone for other states to follow and realize what is the mess we are in

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,384 times
YAY Florida! Hopefully this trend will continue to spread to all the states!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
I think this is just one of many steps we must take to support legal immigration. We can't simply support illegal immigration and turn a blind eye to the genuine needs of the middle class american who would like a legitimate hand up and not a hand out.

More needs to be done though. I must admit I grow tired of even supporting american dead beats who live better than I on taxes I have no choice to pay. So if paying for americans upsets me and most people ( I mean the ones who refuse to help themselves) you can imagine how I feel to now get the previledge of supporting people who are here illegally.
Please, illegal immigration first, Then we can go after the insiders.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
YAY Florida! Hopefully this trend will continue to spread to all the states!
There are 17-20 other state with plans to follow Arizona.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM

346 posts, read 709,487 times
Looks like the DoJ has a lot of states to sue.
Using our tax money, of course..

Oh, and let's not forget that Los Angeles and San Francisco natives are probably going to boycott Florida, too.
They're running out of America to boycott, soon they'll only be stuck in their own cities. (One can hope..)

Old 08-11-2010, 02:31 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,525,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Looks like the DoJ has a lot of states to sue.
Using our tax money, of course..

Oh, and let's not forget that Los Angeles and San Francisco natives are probably going to boycott Florida, too.
They're running out of America to boycott, soon they'll only be stuck in their own cities. (One can hope..)
This is exactly what I was thinking

I wonder if we should get a line in Vegas on how soon
Little Eric Holder will last under the pressure before
he decides to spend more time with his family

Between this and the Sneeky stuff going on in the Gulf
another 26B in cash it's no wonder this administration
has no time to get America back on track

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

286 posts, read 535,601 times
Goof for Florida. Politiicans are realizing in order to keep their jobs, they are going to have to do as the people wish. I am not holding my breath for California (where I reside) though, too many fools in this place. But I am here to help level the field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration