Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 PM

146 posts, read 566,549 times

Advertisements

I do not think "amnesty" is an absolute evil, unless it is an absolute amnesty. I sincerely believe that if someone has continuously lived in America for ten years and has not committed any crime other than that of crossing the border, it would be inhumane to shatter their life by sending them to their half-forgotten hell-hole. I also think that if someone is married to an American, has kids with them and is hardworking, it would be barbaric to break up the family. It also seems wrong to me that someone who was brought to America as a small child can be considered for deportation, unless they are felons. I would support whole-heartedly an Amnesty covering the illegals in the circumstances similar to the ones described above, it would be the only humane thing to do. Make them pay fines, require them to learn English at a college level, give them greencards that would never allow citizenship, showing to them and others that we don't appreciate what they did-- but give them hope. Not every one of the 12 million is a true criminal, there must be a significant number of good people that can truly benefit America. Select them on a case-by-case basis applying stringent standards and send the rest home.

However, this Senate full of special interest puppets, of corrupt hypocrites and of shrewed businessmen is doing something very different. Its few more reasonable members tried to ammend the Amnesty bill in various reasonable manners. One amendment was to require that only those present here for 4 years or more should be eligible for legalization. Another required that everyone returned home for processing in the consulates. One more would mandate larger fines for the illegals in the form of paying back the taxes. Yet another would bar all gang members(!) from ever legalizing. However, to my great dismay, the Senate defeated all these amendments that would make Amnesty more sensible. Every single amendment to make the Amnesty less than absolute was defeated. I am noting with utter disgust and disbelief that the politicians are bent on nothing else than absolute amnesty. It is as if their salaries are paid by some foreign power hostile to America. What is happening is absolutely surreal-- the elected politicians are undermining the rule of law, while completely ignoring the opposition of most of the regular, working Americans to the reshaping of our country into a Third World one.

The message to the wannabe migrants from South of the border is now clear: come here by whatever means possible, sit quitely for a few years and your green cards will be handed down to you. While doing so, it is OK to commit minor crimes and it is not necessary to learn English at all. The envelope containing this message is signed by the Senate itself, the highest legislative body of USA-- it's truly a statement of America's impotence as a state, with no possibility of appeal. Being a recently naturalized US citizen, I will not start on how unfair it is to the millions waiting for their visas, greencards or citizenships. Being in love with a foreigner, I will not mention what a complicated process it is even for a US CITIZEN to bring their SPOUSE to the US. No, these personal sufferings truly fade when placed side by side by the scope of America's approaching humiliation. What is happening now is truly monumental. This Rome is falling. In much of the country it is not obvious now but it will be in the next decade or two, when Amnesty-3 will be passed, this time including 20 or 30 million people. Large in-migrations of people not controlled by any law, welcome Anarchy, my friends.

As a little cog in the state machine there are only two things I can and will do. First, I have become deeply convinced that mainstream politicians are mostly sell-outs. Conservative/Liberal or Republican/Democrat are false dualities, they are two faces of Big Money and various interest groups. I would be an idiot to believe that R or D represents anything remotely resembling my interests-- they are a complete sham. Therefore, when voting I will only vote for independents or a third party, if such emerges. Some will say it is wasting my vote but I think it is morally superior to supporting the rotten political system that exists. And second, I will not forget about my foreign passport. Perhaps in twenty years it will be a ticket from mayhem for my unborn children or grandchildren. And mayhem may follow in a country where exceptions are made for 12,000,000 law breakers while millions of law-respecting immigrants languish in lines, as most citizens object in tears. This is just something that won't be washed away, it is a mortal sin of this government. When Argentine economy collapsed, thousands and thousands of Italians and Spaniards flocked back to their countries, even though decades ago their ancestors did the opposite in search of peace and prosperity. It is not impossible that my unborn children or grandchildren will thank me as a saviour while boarding a plane back to what my family left as an unpromising country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times
Please, put this in a letter to the President and all Senators and Representatives.
Thank you.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM

233 posts, read 440,079 times
Default Send it

I think this letter should be copied and pasted in faxs to everyone of the senaotrs and reps of this country as the view of one legal immigrant and the true disgrace that the proposal truly. Poster, can we all have your permission to send this letter out to all concerned?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM

52 posts, read 135,021 times
Excellent letter! Do send it on to your senators and reps, state and federal.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:59 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
Great post. My husband works with many legal immigrants from a wide variety of countries and continents and they ALL have the same thoughts as you do. You are not alone.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,350 times
I'm sorry, this may sound bad, but I'm surprised it took anyone this long to be disenchanted. I have difficulty coming up with anyone from either party who has impressed me with their integrity and consistency in stances on issues.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I'm sorry, this may sound bad, but I'm surprised it took anyone this long to be disenchanted. I have difficulty coming up with anyone from either party who has impressed me with their integrity and consistency in stances on issues.
Amen Kabluey!

Tom Tancredo is the only person who comes to mind. He has been consistent in his stand on just about everything and for years has been a lone voice in the wilderness standing up against this administration on the subject of illegal immigration.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
sergeyn,

Well-written! You reason very well.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM

52 posts, read 135,021 times
"I sincerely believe that if someone has continuously lived in America for ten years and has not committed any crime other than that of crossing the border, it would be inhumane to shatter their life by sending them to their half-forgotten hell-hole."

The longer I thought about that particular sentence, the more it bothered me. An illegal alien living in America for ten years either had to have been recieving wellfare of some kind or working with fraudulent documents.
And, do we want to say "yeah, you can come here illegally and, if you can stay away from ICE for 10 years, you're home free"
I sincerely feel for many of the people who come here illegally or who overstay thier visas because many of them are from crushingly impoverished countries. But I don't want to pay for thier health care, education, etc. Plus, unless they come Legally, we don't know who they are, where they are, etc. I've gone around and around this issue and the only real solution that I can see is to deport them all and then let them apply to come back legally.
JMO

Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post

1. I do not think "amnesty" is an absolute evil, unless it is an absolute amnesty.

2. I sincerely believe that if someone has continuously lived in America for ten years and has not committed any crime other than that of crossing the border, it would be inhumane to shatter their life by sending them to their half-forgotten hell-hole.

3. I also think that if someone is married to an American, has kids with them and is hardworking, it would be barbaric to break up the family.
So let me see if I understand your point of view here correctly (I numbered your list to make it easier to respond to):

1. So amnesty is not really amnesty unless it is an "absolute amnesty"???

2. 10 years?? The Senate amnesty bill would have granted citizenship for those who had only been here since Jan 1, 2007!!!

Well, aliens commit other crimes all the time. They steal people's identities, use their names to get fake IDs, take people's Social Security numbers and use them to get credit cards and then they commit a FEDERAL CRIME of taking welfare and government benefits and even worse, they do NOT pay Federal Taxes (felony for which AMERICAN CITIZENS go to prison all the time). Aren't these crimes? Isn't forgery illegal? Isn't tax evasion illegal? Isn't ID theft illegal?

3. People who are married to US Citizens (those who are married for real as the majority of the marriages out there as "sham marries" for Green cards, are already in the process to be legalized. We had an amnesty in 2001 called INA 245(i). Anyone who was here illegally (enter the country through the border) was able to get their Green cards through marriage. So we have had this amnesty (3 times already).

In sum, your long diatribe here was designed to say Americans are bullies and those who are sneaky and have managed to avoid detection and have managed to fight the system should be rewarded?? That makes no sense to me... but we live in strange times when everything goes and right is no longer right and wrong is not really wrong if you can come up with an excuse for it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration