Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,604,266 times

Advertisements

Folks, this is serious.

Sen. Jeff Sessions is leading the charge against the DREAM Act amnesty in the Senate and has released “Ten Things You Need To Know About S.3827, The DREAM Act.”

1. The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children, And It Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans

2. The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application

3. Certain Criminal Aliens Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act

4. Estimates Suggest That At Least 2.1 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply

5. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

6. The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor’s Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty

7. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty, and There is ALREADY A Legal Process In Place For Illegal Aliens to Obtain U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

8. Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration

9. Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid

10. DHS Is Prohibited From Using the Information Provided By Illegal Aliens Whose DREAM Act Amnesty Applications Are Denied To Initiate Their Removal Proceedings or Investigate or Prosecute Fraud in the Application Process

And the DREAM Shall Never Die - By Mark Krikorian - The Corner - National Review Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,865,919 times
I'm not sure he's right about #7. As I understand it, military service was ONLY available to those with a greencard (LPR), but I understand the law has changed recently to allow those here LEGALLY on student and temporary visas to also enlist (I disagree STRONGLY with this change but that's another story).

As far as I know you have to be LEGALLY in this country to be able to enlist, so there IS no LEGAL path to citizenship through military service for those here ILLEGALLY.

If you can show otherwise I'd appreciate the info.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'm not sure he's right about #7. As I understand it, military service was ONLY available to those with a greencard (LPR), but I understand the law has changed recently to allow those here LEGALLY on student and temporary visas to also enlist (I disagree STRONGLY with this change but that's another story).

As far as I know you have to be LEGALLY in this country to be able to enlist, so there IS no LEGAL path to citizenship through military service for those here ILLEGALLY.

You are correct. Illegal aliens cannot serve in the military by law. However, I wouldn't doubt that some crooked recruiters figured out a way for them to do it.

You are correct. Illegal aliens cannot serve in the military by law. However, I wouldn't doubt that some crooked recruiters figured out a way for them to do it.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM

One thing I have a REAL issue with in the DREAM Act as currently proposed is that the "good moral character" (ie no CRIMINAL activities, including falsely claiming to be a USC or using false or stolen SSN etc) proviso is worded so as to be "since the enactment of the act" - so they get a total free pass for ANY illegal or criminal activities prior to the Act being passed?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

I questioned that also, but apparently the Secretary of Defense has that authority. Perhaps that’s why illegal aliens are required to register with Selective Service. I am researching it now, and will report back.

Quote:
Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service
Selective Service System: Fast Facts

From OP link. .

Quote:
Furthermore, under current law (10 USC § 504), the Secretary of Defense can authorize the enlistment of illegal aliens. Once enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces, under 8 USC § 1440, these illegal aliens can become naturalized citizens through expedited processing, often obtaining U.S. citizenship in six months.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM

I had a feeling that those powers were only supposed to be used under circumstances such that a draft was initiated whereupon all registered for SS including illegals could be called up for military service.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,690,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Folks, this is serious.

Sen. Jeff Sessions is leading the charge against the DREAM Act amnesty in the Senate and has released “Ten Things You Need To Know About S.3827, The DREAM Act.”

1. The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children, And It Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans

2. The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application

3. Certain Criminal Aliens Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act

4. Estimates Suggest That At Least 2.1 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply

5. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

6. The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor’s Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty

7. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty, and There is ALREADY A Legal Process In Place For Illegal Aliens to Obtain U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

8. Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration

9. Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid

10. DHS Is Prohibited From Using the Information Provided By Illegal Aliens Whose DREAM Act Amnesty Applications Are Denied To Initiate Their Removal Proceedings or Investigate or Prosecute Fraud in the Application Process

And the DREAM Shall Never Die - By Mark Krikorian - The Corner - National Review Online

Good work, & good post.

Again whoever propose this Dream Act who's country & people are they working for???

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Good work, & good post.

Again whoever propose this Dream Act who's country & people are they working for???
Do you really have to ask? Obama, Pelosi and Reid for 3 are pushing it for all they're worth.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM

It appears there is a loophole “vital to the national interest” that can be used by the Secretary of Defense.

Quote:
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the Secretary concerned may
authorize the enlistment of a person not described in paragraph (1)
if the Secretary determines that such enlistment is vital to the
national interest
10 U.S.C. § 504 : US Code - Section 504: Persons not qualified

Quote:
Section 504 of Title 10, U.S. Code, provides citizenship and
immigration status eligibility criteria for enlistment in the Armed
Forces.
The Armed Forces are defined under 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(4) to mean
only the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
Under section 504, only citizens and noncitizen nationals of the United
States; lawful permanent resident aliens; and certain nationals of the
Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands,
and Palau who are admissible as nonimmigrants under the Compacts of
Free Association with those nations, are eligible to enlist in the
Armed Forces. See 10 U.S.C. 504(b)(1). Section 504(b)(2), however, also
authorizes the Secretary of any Armed Force to enlist other aliens ``if
the Secretary determines that such enlistment is vital to the national
interest.'' Id. section 504(b)(2).
FR Doc E9-3801

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM

Yup, usually those powers are only to be utilised in time of National Defence (tho Vietnam wasn't technically "defense").

Of course once they become legalised and given these "temporary conditional greencards" they are eligible to enlist.

I haven't seen ANY mention of any FEES applicable to said "conditional greencards" in the DREAM Act either, or even any FEES to be submitted with an application under the Act if it passed - why should those here illegally get what is basically a waiver on FEES that all LEGAL immigrants have had to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration