Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

At least articles like this have us believe that. How does someone raise their kids without speaking to them? Logically then they didn't speak Spanish but English in
all of these domiciles South of our border. Who knew?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/us...er=rss&emc=rss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
That makes no sense at all. How does someone grow up with Spanish speaking parents and not speak Spanish fluently? And why the heck should Americans care if a Mexican national wants to attend college here?

I'm a Democrat but I'm pleased to read this part of the article:

Votes on the measure were expected in the Senate and the House on Wednesday, Congressional leaders said. It stands a slim chance of passage in the House, where Democrats are in the final days of their majority.

In the Senate, although its champion is the Democratic majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, the bill appears unlikely to succeed.
Many Republican senators, led by Jeff Sessions of Alabama, have denounced the bill as a “nightmare act” that would give amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants and provide safe harbor for some with criminal records. Other Republicans, including several who supported the bill in the past, said they would not vote for it this time because they believe Democrats are pushing it to please Latino voters.

I really don't understand why the DREAMies want this bill passed. They've shown no effort to obey our laws in the past. Why would anyone believe they'll obey them now?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That makes no sense at all. How does someone grow up with Spanish speaking parents and not speak Spanish fluently? And why the heck should Americans care if a Mexican national wants to attend college here?

Votes on the measure were expected in the Senate and the House on Wednesday, Congressional leaders said. It stands a slim chance of passage in the House, where Democrats are in the final days of their majority.

In the Senate, although its champion is the Democratic majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, the bill appears unlikely to succeed.
Many Republican senators, led by Jeff Sessions of Alabama, have denounced the bill as a “nightmare act” that would give amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants and provide safe harbor for some with criminal records. Other Republicans, including several who supported the bill in the past, said they would not vote for it this time because they believe Democrats are pushing it to please Latino voters.

I really don't understand why the DREAMies want this bill passed. They've shown no effort to obey our laws in the past. Why would anyone believe they'll obey them now?
You don't think these groups promoting the dream act would lie to us now would you? I'm SHOCKED

The story says the lad doesn't speak Spanish so his Parents must have only spoken English, right? They assimilate the same as legal immigrants don't they?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Why was the kid deported alone and not with his parents if they were ALL under a deportation order?

Rather than giving this kid asylum, deport his parents as well, would seem like a better solution.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
The anchor baby "El Ponchis" certainly speaks Spanish just fine. He's a US born anchor baby that learned the language of his drug trafficking parents.

Anyhow if they were immediately learning English after being smuggled over the border by the cartel hired by their parents, then why do we see all these "ESL" programs, the need for expensive bilingual programs in every school and all the Spanish radio and television, all the signs in Spanish everywhere?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The anchor baby "El Ponchis" certainly speaks Spanish just fine. He's a US born anchor baby that learned the language of his drug trafficking parents.

Anyhow if they were immediately learning English after being smuggled over the border by the cartel hired by their parents, then why do we see all these "ESL" programs, the need for expensive bilingual programs in every school and all the Spanish radio and television, all the signs in Spanish everywhere?

Why in Spanish? Why do we cater to Hispanics and other Spanish speakers? They can't assimilate? Is there some study that shows they cannot?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:

You are assuming that his parents spoke to him in spanish only or that they only spoke Spanish.

What if they spoke to him in English that he would understand the language?

You are exactly right...why would an American care about someone form another country and his plight.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why in Spanish? Why do we cater to Hispanics and other Spanish speakers? They can't assimilate? Is there some study that shows they cannot?
who is WE? and what "catering" are YOU doing...or dont want to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
Quote:
That makes no sense at all. How does someone grow up with Spanish speaking parents and not speak Spanish fluently?
It happens all the time. They turn out not to be fluent in either language. I've seen it with legal hispanics all of my life.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
It happens all the time. They turn out not to be fluent in either language. I've seen it with legal hispanics all of my life.

So their Parents aren't fluent in one or other either? On a mass scale of 12 - 20 million people? I for one find that very hard to believe.

And if so then they would feel just as "foreign" here as Mexico (if that is where they get deported) if they can't speak either language right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration