Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,855,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I haven't read any of the past comments...but my question is this:

As far as I know you can get a green card through marriage but not if you were an illegal alien who married a US citizen.

You have to leave the country for at least 6 months and start the process of entering it legally and getting a green card.

Why hasn't she done that?

Once again, illegal immigrants want everyone to feel sorry for them...and the government and its citizens to cater to their needs.

Bunch of BS.
The ONLY people who are here illegally who can adjust status while residing in the USA are those who entered this country legally and overstayed their visa.

ANy illegal that entered without inspection (ewi) as in hopped the border can ONLY apply for a visa by returning to their home country first. In addition they will incur a ban (either 3 years or 10 years) before they are eligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,051,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Let's see the source of your "facts".

Or is this just another "Day Dream Believers" opinion?
It does not take a genius...
Its in the article. We know there is no custody battle, no deportation, etc. She admitted that she is undocumented and living with her husband. PERIOD. We know the federal law is that hospitals cannot call ICE. Okay...still following me? Therefore, unless someone knows here real identity, can locate her and call ICE she cannot get deported. The day she gives birth, she can show up to the hospital and BY LAW, she cannot be turned away.

What part of these facts dont you understand?

Maybe it is easier for you to watch the video instead of reading the article. It might help to clarify what the REAL situation is.

Last edited by zacatecana; 02-06-2011 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
zacatecana, you have a good point though it would that it was otherwise in practice.
Employers are not agents of the government but they send part of our paycheck to the goverment.

Retailers are not agents either but they act as such in taking our money called Sales Tax and send it on also.
I hear you bluesjuke, certain departments work together and make up our society/bureaucracy but not all work for the same function. For example, DMV & DOJ and many others.

The only connection I find with your example above is that if we are tax payers, we decide where our money goes. If we as tax payers decide that building a fence is much more efficient to keep illegal immigrants out, then we should. Having medical staff report illegal immigrants at the ER can be a case for human rights and when we have a violation such as that, most of the time, the court rules in favor of the illegal immigrant. They are granted legal status, which could or could not be a good thing. Once a legal resident, they can pay taxes and not be a burden but it definitely sends the wrong message.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I'm sure you are aware we have laws that govern our hospitals. Its against the law for a hospital to call ICE. As I said, it is not our place to determine the welfare of a child. That will only happen if this person has an encounter with the police and is arrested by ICE.

I completely agree with this last statement.
Where I live, you can see many abuses of this birth right ctizienship. One woman arrived here in early pregnancy or was impregnated very shortly after arriving - she herself didn't seem sure which, worked for a short time as a housekeeper but was fired after a few months. She had no place to stay and moved into a travel trailer with an alcoholic (some people think he may have been the father of her baby) - she figured that she just needed to make it a couple more months and she'd be home free with the US citizen baby and the welfare checks the baby would bring her.

She had absolutely nothing - no baby clothes, no crib - and living in a hovel with a drunk who abused her. She made it to 7 months - and the drunk she was living with beat her so badly she lost the baby and ended up deported. Just 2 months away from the plush life of American welfare handouts.

Of course many pregnant women simply get a shopping or visitor visa just before they are about to delliver and have it very easy. They can go straight from the maternity unit to the welfare office and it's all gravy.

The whole situation is bad all the way around and should not be encouraged.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where I live, you can see many abuses of this birth right ctizienship. One woman arrived here in early pregnancy or was impregnated very shortly after arriving - she herself didn't seem sure which, worked for a short time as a housekeeper but was fired after a few months. She had no place to stay and moved into a travel trailer with an alcoholic (some people think he may have been the father of her baby) - she figured that she just needed to make it a couple more months and she'd be home free with the US citizen baby and the welfare checks the baby would bring her.

She had absolutely nothing - no baby clothes, no crib - and living in a hovel with a drunk who abused her. She made it to 7 months - and the drunk she was living with beat her so badly she lost the baby and ended up deported. Just 2 months away from the plush life of American welfare handouts.

Of course many pregnant women simply get a shopping or visitor visa just before they are about to delliver and have it very easy. They can go straight from the maternity unit to the welfare office and it's all gravy.

The whole situation is bad all the way around and should not be encouraged.
I agree with you malamute. It should not be encouraged. That is why it is very important to protect the border and to not give visas to pregnant women, IMHO.

Its quite difficult to change that part of the culture at the border. Residents can legally cross the border, go back and forth for work, school and some give birth on this side. My cousin and her husband gave birth to their daughter on this side. They both live on the Mexican side of the border. She works in Mexico and he works in the U.S. He pays for medical insurance and this is where they decided to give birth to their daughter. Its not unusual to find Mexicans with a common background...same neighborhood, elementary school, etc and some are Mexican nationals only and others are U.S. citizens.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
I agree with you malamute. It should not be encouraged. That is why it is very important to protect the border and to not give visas to pregnant women, IMHO.

Its quite difficult to change that part of the culture at the border. Residents can legally cross the border, go back and forth for work, school and some give birth on this side. My cousin and her husband gave birth to their daughter on this side. They both live on the Mexican side of the border. She works in Mexico and he works in the U.S. He pays for medical insurance and this is where they decided to give birth to their daughter. Its not unusual to find Mexicans with a common background...same neighborhood, elementary school, etc and some are Mexican nationals only and others are U.S. citizens.
It's so common in fact that in a recent election for the governor of Chihuahua, one of the candidate's US citizen by birth was an issue. Corral is from Juarez but like so many in Juarez was born in El Paso. I don't think he is a US citizen - probably was before the law was changed when they had to decide at age 18.

Along the border, it wasn't as much an issue when people had until age 18 to decide. Usually if they lived in Mexico, they felt a bond with Mexico and very often would chose the Mexican citizenship. Of course there were some who would hedge their bets and chose the USA citizenship and tell themselves they were still true Mexicans at heart and remain living in Mexico.

I believe this is one of the biggest destabilizers of the border region. The upper class along the border obviously can accomplish birth citizenship more easily than the lower classes. And like water they take the path of least resistance. Instead of working to make certain needed changes, social reforms, they can quickly pack up and move over any time they please and so they do. They'll leave their servants with no place to turn, they'll close up stores and restaurants leaving no notice and boogey on over, never batting an eye over the problems for those left behind. They can take their money and run any time they wish, pull the rug out from under their own city.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:

And this all needs to be changed. Either we have a border with Mexico or we don't. People being interwoven into both countries is ridiculous. Either you're a Mexican or a U.S. citizen. You shouldn't have it both ways.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And this all needs to be changed. Either we have a border with Mexico or we don't. People being interwoven into both countries is ridiculous. Either you're a Mexican or a U.S. citizen. You shouldn't have it both ways.
There are many countries that accept dual citizenship. Ours does as well. If you don't have dual citizenship, it can be difficult for you to understand something you don't know what it is like. I, thank God...feel very blessed to have dual citizenship. I love it!!! With all my heart!!!

Besides, it is very common in many countries to have that kind of environment where cultures "intertwine" at the border but I believe it is more common here because we have one of the most open borders for TRADE. I don't see the border closing for business. In fact, I believe it will be just the opposite.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's so common in fact that in a recent election for the governor of Chihuahua, one of the candidate's US citizen by birth was an issue. Corral is from Juarez but like so many in Juarez was born in El Paso. I don't think he is a US citizen - probably was before the law was changed when they had to decide at age 18.

Along the border, it wasn't as much an issue when people had until age 18 to decide. Usually if they lived in Mexico, they felt a bond with Mexico and very often would chose the Mexican citizenship. Of course there were some who would hedge their bets and chose the USA citizenship and tell themselves they were still true Mexicans at heart and remain living in Mexico.

I believe this is one of the biggest destabilizers of the border region. The upper class along the border obviously can accomplish birth citizenship more easily than the lower classes. And like water they take the path of least resistance. Instead of working to make certain needed changes, social reforms, they can quickly pack up and move over any time they please and so they do. They'll leave their servants with no place to turn, they'll close up stores and restaurants leaving no notice and boogey on over, never batting an eye over the problems for those left behind. They can take their money and run any time they wish, pull the rug out from under their own city.
I don't think this is the cause for destabilizing the border. Its all these other issues that we have been discussing all along that are the root of the problem...the drug and human trafficking. If they have money, no border is going to stop them because they can buy their way in legally. Citizenship has nothing to do with it.

Getting back on topic, there is nothing we can really do about this individual case. It is out of our hands. Does her child deserve citizenship? The answer is YES. Why? Because the father is a U.S. citizen and BY LAW, if you are a U.S. citizen...even if your child is born outside the U.S., you can file for citizenship for your children.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,395 times
Quote:
There are many countries that accept dual citizenship. Ours does as well. If you don't have dual citizenship, it can be difficult for you to understand something you don't know what it is like. I, thank God...feel very blessed to have dual citizenship. I love it!!! With all my heart!!!

Besides, it is very common in many countries to have that kind of environment where cultures "intertwine" at the border but I believe it is more common here because we have one of the most open borders for TRADE. I don't see the border closing for business. In fact, I believe it will be just the opposite.
Not so sure about that.

The border is being TIGHTENED already. Look at what the coyotes charge. It aint easy crossing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration