Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM

18,432 posts, read 19,082,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I dunno, I live in a border state and it's still not in my list of top 10s.
If everyone who has an issue with it boycotted all the big businesses that are lobbying right now for illegal labor and stopped purchasing things produced by it then it would get done, but they aren't and they don't, so I guess it's not that important to anyone really. It's just a lot of talk.
Yet, on the flip side AZ was boycotted plenty. As clear as I can see, illegals are here to stay, might as well let this political fad fade and move on to more important things like jobs and food. lol
Besides, illegals are big business and are targeted by big companies to spend their illegal cash. Embracing Illegals
If big business likes them, might as well get use to them.
It use to be a crime to smoke pot if you had cancer in AZ, now it isn't, enough people will make it legal for illegals eventually. Then, it won't be a crime and everyone can relax and eat a burrito.
Waste of time. Waste of money. End of story in my book.
like it or not twiggy has made a great point. until big business stops hiring illegals and courting their business it will not stop. why don't we levy heavy fines on these employers? perhaps because they contribute big bucks to our politicians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,468,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I dunno, I live in a border state and it's still not in my list of top 10s.
If everyone who has an issue with it boycotted all the big businesses that are lobbying right now for illegal labor and stopped purchasing things produced by it then it would get done, but they aren't and they don't, so I guess it's not that important to anyone really. It's just a lot of talk.
Yet, on the flip side AZ was boycotted plenty. As clear as I can see, illegals are here to stay, might as well let this political fad fade and move on to more important things like jobs and food. lol
Besides, illegals are big business and are targeted by big companies to spend their illegal cash. If big business likes them, might as well get use to them.
It use to be a crime to smoke pot if you had cancer in AZ, now it isn't, enough people will make it legal for illegals eventually. Then, it won't be a crime and everyone can relax and eat a burrito.
Quote:
Waste of time. Waste of money. End of story in my book
Your book is outdated just like the article in the link you posted.
Millions of attitudes and laws toward illegal immigration have changed
within the last 6 years.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,342,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I agree. And my opinion actually has nothing to do with people, like you, who do stand up for causes you believe in for the right reasons.

My comment was not directed at you, I was actually addressing it towards that
"small minority of Americans who may do that to use the race card to smear us all" comment you made earlier.
Why are you focusing on a small minority then? I find those that do that have an agenda to smear us all but they will never admit it. Should I concentrate on the small minority of people who are reconquistas on the pro-illegal side?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
like it or not twiggy has made a great point. until big business stops hiring illegals and courting their business it will not stop. why don't we levy heavy fines on these employers? perhaps because they contribute big bucks to our politicians?
Howard Industries was just fined 2.5 million. Employers are being fined and punished. However, the illegals caught in these raids are just fired but not deported unless they have a criminal background. There is a three-fold blame here, the employers, our government and the illegals themselves. Most anti's hold all three accountable but the pro-illegals never put any of the blame on the illegals themselves. In fact they defend them.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Dehumanized?

Vilified?

DEMONIZED?!

Nah, most of them just tend to come off as self-righteous a$$holes, that's all.
Most of them? Isn't that in direct conflct with your admittance that racists or whatever else you want to call them are a minority in the anti-illegal immigration movement?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Dehumanized?

Vilified?

DEMONIZED?!

Nah, most of them just tend to come off as self-righteous a$$holes, that's all.
That would be the mindset of the sympathizers to illegal aliens. Anyone who dares insist that the illegal aliens in their ethnic group respect the laws of this country and deported for not doing so, would be an a$$hole to them.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, how do pro-illegals come off? How does one defend the indefensible? Is your ONLY defense the character assassination of opponents?
The biggest issue with supporters of anything is handling change. It's hard to be the minority in any issue. Things change, what is illegal today could be perfectly legal tomorrow. So playing the "it's illegal" card today is irrelevant to people who see the law changing like me.
Like I said previously, people can smoke pot now and the government can legally harass me as a terrorist for no reason, pat me down in private places at the airport.
People can walk into a bar with a concealed weapon in my state today where as last year they couldn't. They can bring their kids to school with a loaded weapon in their pocket. Disturbs me yes, but that is what happens when the majority lets it happen. Laws change all the time, they aren't written in stone.
Enough people ***** and they change like the wind.

You pro 1070's people against illegal immigration are going to have to come up with more than the "it's illegal" crap as well. People will be changing that if thats the only reason you can come up with. Stick to the reasons they shouldn't be here legally, then you might have some interest.

They commit crime? Well, so do Americans, come up with some specifics against the Mexican immigrants or else just forget it. It's not convincing enough.
There are 50000 illegal Irish people here and they don't come through Mexico to get here, Chinese people, and every other illegal immigrant you can think of. Why don't you want them to have amnesty? Be specific, be clear. Just cuz it's illegal right now won't cut it, we could make it legal tomorrow.
You have to be specific in your needs or it just sounds like your crying about the change thats taking place. You are hard to take seriously.
Right now you all just look like you're into the latest political craze, and when the next one comes along you'll jump on it. It's not like there aren't productive things you could be doing personally against it if you wanted too. Come up with something new for God sake. At least some new lines, those old ones obviously don't work, no law is coming as far as I can see as a matter of fact its support seems to be dwindling as of late.

I don't care enough either way to make it worth my time to boycott businesses or picket the farmers or construction sites but someone on your side is going to have to soon or you will be looking at "legal workers coming over that border" in no time. Then what are you going to do?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM

[quote=twiggy;18096134]I dunno, I live in a border state and it's still not in my list of top 10s.

Pray tell, do you have a list of these employers you can share with us so I can call ICE? You see, it is important to me.

Besides, illegals are big business and are targeted by big companies to spend their illegal cash. Embracing Illegals
If big business likes them, might as well get use to them.

You mean the boycotts by the pro-illegals for Az enforcing immigration law? Is that a good reason to boycott? No, sorry to burst your bubble but we have the illegals on the run and eventually they will all have to leave. Wanting our immigration laws enforced is a fad? What's more important than kicking out illegal invaders from our country? As for jobs and food problems they are big contributing factor to it. We are well aware that big business wants them. So if these crooks like them we should just roll over to appease them? You like appeasing crooks?

Waste of time. Waste of money. End of story in my book.

ILLEGAL immigration will always be "illegal" and will always be a crime so no comparison. The only way it wouldn't be is if we no longer had immigration laws. If you think that is going to happen then I'd like to know what you are smoking. There will be no more rewarding illegal aliens for disrespecting our immigration laws so no, they won't become legal either. What's with the burrito remark? Do you think all illegals come from burrito eating countries? Securing our borders and demanding respect for our immigration laws is a waste of time and money? Hope you still think that way after all our jobs and resources dry up and some terorists slip through our southern border via illegal immigration. Tell that to Calderon about his immigration laws. Yes, end of story and it was a pathetic one at that.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,082,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Howard Industries was just fined 2.5 million. Employers are being fined and punished. However, the illegals caught in these raids are just fired but not deported unless they have a criminal background. There is a three-fold blame here, the employers, our government and the illegals themselves. Most anti's hold all three accountable but the pro-illegals never put any of the blame on the illegals themselves. In fact they defend them.

I am glad they are fining employers but why don't they deport?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM

19,769 posts, read 20,352,819 times
Quote:
Why are you focusing on a small minority then?
Quote:
Most of them? Isn't that in direct conflct with your admittance that racists or whatever else you want to call them are a minority in the anti-illegal immigration movement?

Because I don't actually consider it a "small minority". The words "small" and "minority" were your definitions of (I guess) the same group of people we probably percieve differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration