Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,339,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
You specifically told me to "stick the race card back in my wallet".

I submit a video that basically states why I (and others) feel race is relevent to the discussion and you don't even take a few minutes to acknowledge it.

Whether I agree with you or not, I still read the links you posted.

But I see how it is...
I did acknowledge it. I said it was Comedy Central bunk by the far left wingnut, Colbert.

If I tell someone to stick the race card back in their wallet it is because they have pulled it out during their responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,807,678 times
Quote:
See, you're actually bringing some information and civility to the thread. This is I can respect.

Some others here do not bring anything to the discussion, but instead only take offense and give criticism.
It doesn't help when people throw chaff accusations like racism. It betrays weak minds on both sides of the aisle and I wish an editor could cut BS off to the side of a debate and allow all to consider again what was cut and why.

Same is said of gun rights and when I'm surrounded in meaningful debate by 'shoot em all let god sort em out' mentalities they're only shooting their own foot and menacing my 2nd amendment right. I support 2nd amendment but I cannot stand beside NRA's abusive tactics cherry picking the constitution like the confederacy. When they articulate poorly & throw in the kitchen sink it gravely harms the true spirit of that amendment. That's exactly what happens on this issue, and being stuck perpetually is only packing a powder keg tighter and tighter. All parties need to put themselves in the business of being fair minded about the issue. That's the America we meant to have from the beginning, and the one we've unitedly fought & upheld.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM

19,768 posts, read 20,334,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

I guess you missed my post where I pointed out similar reasons why illegal immigration is bad for our country. It was quite civil and very informational. Biased, much? I just don't put up with BS artists in here. One should state their opinion for or against and why, and not resort to making a joke out of this issue or making false claims they don't have a dog in this race and resort to personal attacks. When caught at it they always claim "oh you were the rude one".
No, I did see those in the beginning, when you first quoted me about people being racist. It was my personal opinion & observation due to having heard many dumb comments in real life, not this thread.

I even said I had no problem with people, like you, who stand up for causes for the "right" reasons.

It wasn't until I brought up that some people (mind you, I did not specify YOU or anyone else here) tend to come off as self-righteous a-holes.

You decided to take that personally, for what reason, I don't know.

If you don't fit into the catagory of people I'm talking about, then why take offense in the first place?

You started a huge fight where there was none.

Last edited by D217; 03-03-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It doesn't help when people throw chaff accusations like racism.
I never accused anyone here of being racist.

I was speaking about derogatory and racist things I have heard in real life, which help form my opinions over the years.

They jumped the gun on that one themselves.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM

50,491 posts, read 47,270,331 times
Quote:
I never accused anyone here of being racist.

I was speaking about derogatory and racist things I have heard in real life, which help form my opinions over the years.

They jumped the gun on that one themselves.
I think people interject race WAY too much today. Example, If I accidently cut someone off in traffic, that just happens to be white, black, red or brown, and they flip me off and call me a name does that make it racism? Personally I don't think so.

I believe many have a chip on their shoulder and "expect" by their meaning of racism, racism.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,339,918 times
Quote:
No, I did see those in the beginning, when you first quoted me about people being racist. It was my personal opinion & observation due to having heard many dumb comments in real life, not this thread.

I even said I had no problem with people, like you, who stand up for causes for the "right" reasons.

It wasn't until I brought up that some people (mind you, I did not specify YOU or anyone else here) tend to come off as self-righteous a-holes.

You decided to take that personally, for what reason, I don't know.

If you don't fit into the catagory of people I'm talking about, then why take offense in the first place?

You started a huge fight where there was none.
My civil and informative remarks about illegal immigration were not a response to you but another poster.

Why make remarks about "some" people being righteous buttheads in this issue when they don't represent the majority? I asked you that question point blank. It has been my experience that people do that to smear an entire side of an issue. I take offense at all of us anti-illegals being subtley labeled that way by the pro-illegals by constantly bringing up the minority of buttheads on our side.

I started a fight? Wow, by pointing that out to you is starting a fight? Speaking of sensitivity why are you so sensitive to my reply? Me thinks perhaps I have touched a nerve of truth?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,094,653 times
Quote:
Nothing about my 12 reason post should read to you or anyone that I have malice towards them for being poor, for being any ethnicity, or some tacky native born supremacy attitude poking a flag at them. My reasons were all about what's best for all parties concerned and I wish xenophobic BS would just be summarily dismissed on both sides because this core issue is being overlooked defending all the wrong things. No one is legitimately angry at an ethnicity, only specific behaviors offensive to American law/corrosive to community, and particularly native citizens obliged to play by the rules while law breakers walk with impunity. This is an ADMINISTRATIVE failure, not the fault of the masses.

What's best is we have secure borders and reform immigration so that it encourages honest behavior & screens out violent criminals. What's best is they know coming in they're expected to be responsible for themselves and acquaint themselves with US law so as to not find themselves f/t targets of law enforcement. Ignorance of the law isn't excusable in the eyes of the law applicable to all (even if I hate it). It's best they learn english before they come here because they will be 'alienated' from this nation and opportunities will be meager until they do. What's best is our own labor force needs as a nation being considered first, not dictated by Central American policies, and not by corporate lobbyists using them as a wedge inflicted against US workers instigating strife. It's these nasty games they play that turn free market rules into crony capitalism. It only makes those on the bottom lose faith in the credibility of commerce and I'm obliged to agree with them.

Florida half a century ago had no love of Cuba emptying out it's prisons and dumping them here out of spite. I hate no Cuban, but violent people should not be welcome here because it only drains goodwill relations for all. When legit Cuban exiles have a problem with criminals pouring into their community, xenophobic defense of crime only create more xenophobia if you're making yourself deaf to problems.

Ok, I don't have a problem with that, whatever the majority wants to do about this is ok with me, as long as it actually gets done or at leasts has that possibility. I don't care.

(By the way, people on their pathway to citizenship in the U.S.A. have a stay here of about 5 years waiting to get citizenship while they learn the culture and the english language so lets be patient during that time. They won't necessarily know it well before they get over here, nor do they have too.)

How to become a U.S. citizen)

On that note it looks like Calderon and Obama are working on making the border safe for all concerned today.......no worries!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
See, you're actually bringing some information and civility to the thread. This is I can respect.

Some others here do not bring anything to the discussion, but instead only take offense and give criticism.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

Why make remarks about "some" people being righteous buttheads in this issue when they don't represent the majority? I asked you that question point blank. It has been my experience that people do that to smear an entire side of an issue. I take offense at all of us anti-illegals being subtley labeled that way by the pro-illegals by constantly bringing up the minority of buttheads on our side.
I live in the south, what do you expect?! I hear dumb sh** on the regular. It's disturbing.

That's not me trying to smear anybody's campaign. That's me saying hey, there's alot of people that might "act cool" but sling racial slurs when nobody's around.

To me, being fake as hell is an issue.

Now don't go and take that personally, unless it applies.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Ohh one other thing. Those claiming or believing this isn't importing slavery to America--- if the only way a business can profit is by perpetually keeping their boot on the head of labor with no relation to local economy than it's not a viable business. Walmart profits are nothing more than draining economic clout of US and delivering it to the shores of China for not much more than a hoarders house full of chachki's. Way to kill local economies, worker pride, and ethics in all one fell swoop.

No, ladies and gentlemen, this is not capitalism. Illegals are used as fodder and I hate they'd be abused or taken advantage of but at the heart of the matter is the fact that presenting yourself to this nation as a needy disenfranchised group harms the spirit of America. It feeds crony capitalism. It rewards those lacking ethics the most and those disenfranchised the least. That's why I want them coming through the front door. Come here with desire to shine. Let us shine together as a just nation enabling individuals to be responsible for their own lives. Not a perpetual soup kitchen existence because that mentality is not sustainable.
Now this has some clout. I must say this is a good reason to promote immigration reform. This was a good read! Kudos
Something like this actually gets my attention, I can honestly say I've never looked at it from this side before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration