Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t oppose ESL classes for legal immigrants either. However, the majority of students currently enrolled in ESL programs are here illegally. If they want to learn English, and they are not here legally, they should pay, not taxpayers.

If you don’t mind my asking, why would you have needed ESL classes? I thought you were a citizen who served for over 30 years in our military. Or, am I mistaken?
Personally, I think that legal immigrants should already know how to speak English before being allowed to migrate here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Personally, I think that legal immigrants should already know how to speak English before being allowed to migrate here.
I was thinking more in terms of their children, who may understand English, but still need some assistance. As for adults, I agree, they should speak English prior to applying for immigration status. I know if I planned to relocate to a foreign country, I would consider it imperative. I certainly wouldn’t expect to be accommodated by the host country.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,649,653 times
Quote:
No other country would educate an illegal population to the detriment of its own. And we wonder why our students rank so low on the global education scale. Once a world leader, we are now steadily declining, with no end in the foreseeable future. How can our children be expected to excel, when they are forced to learn in classrooms with an ever-increasing number of non-English-speaking children?
One of my grandsons is in a school (c rated)with a lot of Spanish speaking children and I can't convince my DD that she must make sacrifices and get him into a different school.(b+ rated) The resources of the school are going to help those children along with language, etc, etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
One of my grandsons is in a school (c rated)with a lot of Spanish speaking children and I can't convince my DD that she must make sacrifices and get him into a different school.(b+ rated) The resources of the school are going to help those children along with language, etc, etc.
Keep trying to convince her. Otherwise, she’ll regret it big time. If he remains in that environment, he won’t receive a quality education, which in turn, will limit his college prospects. I paid for my son to attend private schools K-12, and it was money well spent. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,329,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Simple solution, keep these children out of public school until they at least can speak the language and be in classes with the rest of the students. Basic language skills are the parents responsibility, not the taxpayers.

The only shocking part about the article is the statement that 1 in 8 children in the state fall in this category.
Brilliant idea, so let's force these students to sit at home until their parents who don't speak English teach their kids to speak English

Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Brilliant idea, so let's force these students to sit at home until their parents who don't speak English teach their kids to speak English
The point is that we should not be having to educate children here illegally in our country. That is the responsibility of their homelands. Their parents are here in violation of our immigration laws. Birthright citizenship needs changing also so that the offspring of illegal alien parents don't gain instant citizenship through the lawbreaking of their parents.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,855,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Then until this mess is fixed..they need to be in ESL classes specifically to teach them the language before they get into other classes.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then until this mess is fixed..they need to be in ESL classes specifically to teach them the language before they get into other classes.
No ESL. Let the kids make it on there own.

The Italian kids had to learn English cause of no ESL back in the day. Hispanic kids are just as smart.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,562,418 times
Quote:
I don’t oppose ESL classes for legal immigrants either. However, the majority of students currently enrolled in ESL programs are here illegally. If they want to learn English, and they are not here legally, they should pay, not taxpayers.

If you don’t mind my asking, why would you have needed ESL classes? I thought you were a citizen who served for over 30 years in our military. Or, am I mistaken?
I believe my profile may give some insight. However, in a nutshell this is my background.

I was born in Chicago.
Lived there until I was about 6.
Moved to Mexico and never spoke English from age 6 to 14 to the point that I could not make a single sentence. I did remember some words like mother, father, house, but lost proficiency that I could not understand what people were talking. When I went to the movies I had to read the Spanish subtitles to know what they were talking.

At age 14 I returned to the states in El Paso, TX. That is when I took the ESL classes.
At age 25 I joined the Army and served for 32 years as I said. During that time I got my GED, bachelors, and masters.

I hope this answers your question, take care.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,562,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That I do not agree with. Many immigrant in the early 20th century did not know English and they prospered. The criteria in those day was what skills they had for the U.S. allow them to come in and were a benefit to our country. There are many Koreans that arrive in the states and they have prospered greatly.

Here is where I do have an issue with my fellow latin immigrant that believe they lose their identity if they learn English, that holds them back from prospering in this country. I fight this attitude with them whenever possible. I also teld them that the reason they keep staying at the bottom in this nation is because they do not want to adapt many of the good things this country has to offer like learning the language, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration