Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Current Illegal Aliens get US Citizenship- as long as they wait at the end of the line?
Yes, because they are here working and part of our society 1 2.33%
Maybe, if they have remarkable skills and are crime free 6 13.95%
No, because they broke the law 24 55.81%
They should ALL be put in Prison and then Deported 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 AM

786 posts, read 4,734,961 times

Advertisements

I always wonder why someone who broke into our country illegally ever gets US Citizenship when there are tons of good people waiting outside of America who will never get a Green Card or even visit America. On the other hand, some people feel that the people who are already here should get US Citizenship as long as they get at the end of the CURRENT LINE.

What do you think? Should the people who are here illegally ever get US Citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,437,878 times
Exclamation Sure....but....

...First, change your status to "legal", fullfill the requirements, start the process to become a US citizen, pay the fees and pass the test
Very simple, very effective, by the book, rules and laws....no loopholes.
Just like back in the time, when this beautiful country was established....case closed.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,034,410 times
No, they should be permanently barred from ever becoming U.S. citizens. Period.

If someone broke into your house and stole from you, would you invite them to be your roommate in the future?

These people know that there is a correct procedure for becoming citizens of this country, but they obviously think they are more important than the people waiting in line to do it the right way. We need to show them that the opposite is true.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,613,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
...First, change your status to "legal", fullfill the requirements, start the process to become a US citizen, pay the fees and pass the test
Very simple, very effective, by the book, rules and laws....no loopholes.
Just like back in the time, when this beautiful country was established....case closed.
I agree!!

And why do you people who want them to receive amnesty feel this way? what is the reason? my ancestors came to this country and started the legal process and requirements to become a US Citizen, they DID NOt sneak into this country, they learned the english language - and they were damn proud to do it. they didn't expect the citizens of the united stated to learn Italian. For the people who want amnesty for these illegals - WHY? Why can't we let in the law abiding foreigners - the ones that fulfill all the legal requirements to get here instead of letting the illegals stay?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,680,900 times
No, illegals should not be rewarded for their criminal acts. Rewarding criminals only encourages further criminal conduct by others. Current illegals should have their assets seized, convicted, and deported.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM

10,188 posts, read 11,174,994 times
I voted NO!

I don't feel I need to explain why.....

Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM

294 posts, read 1,087,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
I agree!!

And why do you people who want them to receive amnesty feel this way? what is the reason? my ancestors came to this country and started the legal process and requirements to become a US Citizen, they DID NOt sneak into this country, they learned the english language - and they were damn proud to do it. they didn't expect the citizens of the united stated to learn Italian. For the people who want amnesty for these illegals - WHY? Why can't we let in the law abiding foreigners - the ones that fulfill all the legal requirements to get here instead of letting the illegals stay?

I wonder about this too, how come the US has two languages Spanish and English? Why does it seem the government are sitting back and not doing anything real about the illegal issue, is it just me that thinks the government are bending over for illegals? (trying to put it as nicely as i can) Does South America have some sort of hold over our government?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,004 times
I used to think, yes. Then, a Chinese student I had started crying when she told me how her parents had waited 13 years for a Visa and how unfair it was for the Mexican illegals to come here whenever they want and get citizenship. Now I think, no.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 AM

16 posts, read 16,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
If someone broke into your house and stole from you, would you invite them to be your roommate in the future?

These people know that there is a correct procedure for becoming citizens of this country, but they obviously think they are more important than the people waiting in line to do it the right way. We need to show them that the opposite is true.
I agree 100%. The nerve of these immigrants, and the arrogance! I mean, they sneak into the U.S.; they force honest, hard-working Americans to hire them and to purchase their cheaper products and services; and then they mock the law by running and hiding all the time from la migra. And then, if they are caught and deported, they just cross the desert again—which we all know is a cinch—and start all over again! I think that, before being deported, they ought to be put in forced labor camps so they’ll pay their debt to Uncle Sam and learn the value of a good day’s work

Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,070,422 times
Let me first make my beliefs clear:

I believe we should seal the borders with Canada and Mexico. I believe we should provide a process for illegal immigrants to apply for permanent residency and then eventual citizenship. I believe we should allow large-scale documented immigration into the United States in order to make it not worthwhile to attempt to sneak across the newly-fortified borders.

I believe that immigration should be coupled to employment. All immigrant heads of households should be documented and made to prove that they can hold down a good job and pay taxes over the course of several years before the conditional clause on their Green Card is removed and they can apply for citizenship. Illegal aliens should be punished for breaking the law with significant but not outrageous fines and back-taxes before they receive their conditional Green Cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
And why do you people who want them to receive amnesty feel this way?
Because I have spent the past 5 years living in neighborhoods near the border which are 98% hispanic, and probably a good percent illegal immigrant. It is obvious to me that these are hardworking people with strong family values who contribute to the US economy, and would contribute even more if they were able to become legal, documented, residents and organize for better wages. I see through all myths and bulls--t spewed by millionaire talk show hosts and gated-community-dwellers who won't even drive through my neighborhood, let alone live here and really get to know the people.

I've gone through the legal immigration system. I know how screwed up it is and I can identify with people who do not have a legal way to immigrate yet have still chosen to make their lives here and just want the government to leave them be. They don't ask for anything except the basic liberties defined by the founding fathers.

Before I lived here, I thought like anti-immigration advocates. Now that I've spent some time with immigrants--legal and illegal--I've changed my mind. Yes, illegals are lawbreakers and should be punished, but prison and deportation is an draconian and unworkable solution. You don't get executed for misdemeanour tresspassing, you get a civil fine and a background check. The same should be true for crossing the border without inspection.

Quote:
My ancestors came to this country and started the legal process and requirements to become a US Citizen, they DID NOt sneak into this country, they learned the english language - and they were damn proud to do it.
There is currently no legal way for a blue-collar laborer to permanently immigrate from Mexico the the United States (unless their company transfers them, and even then it usually doesn't allow permanent residence). For those that disagree, please visit USCIS Home Page --specifically: (Permanent Resident (Green Card)) and look up how to become a permanent resident. Outside of family or white-collar advanced-degree employment, there are very few options.

Almost every immigrant I know speaks English. The ones that don't have friends or children who can translate for them.

Quote:
they didn't expect the citizens of the united stated to learn Italian.
No one, from the meanest taco shack to the corner liquor store, has ever expected me to know or learn Spanish. I have never been prevented from doing business, ordering food, or asking for information inside the United States because of a language barrier. I don't know where this myth comes from, but it doesn't happen in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration