Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Current Illegal Aliens get US Citizenship- as long as they wait at the end of the line?
Yes, because they are here working and part of our society 1 2.33%
Maybe, if they have remarkable skills and are crime free 6 13.95%
No, because they broke the law 24 55.81%
They should ALL be put in Prison and then Deported 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,636,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
The Republicans are between a rock and a hard place. They can keep opposing comprehensive immigration reform, not necessarily amnesty, and lose a whole generation of Latino Voters in the long terms. Or they can make the base happy for now and make minor to middle gains among conservatives. I know of at least 5-10 districts in Southern California that could be very competitive when the Latino population grows into a greater electoral force.
So McShames's strategy is to hispander and kiss latino ass as he usually does in order to get a reasonable share of the latino vote but still stay somewhat to the right of Hussein so that most Conservatives will still vote for him over Hussein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguer View Post
so Mcshames's Strategy Is To Hispander And Kiss Latino Ass As He Usually Does In Order To Get A Reasonable Share Of The Latino Vote But Still Stay Somewhat To The Right Of Hussein So That Most Conservatives Will Still Vote For Him Over Hussein?
Bingo!!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,101,046 times
I don't have an problem with them being here sooooo yes I think they should be able to have U.S. citizenship and I think the chances are good that they will succeed

Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,591,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I don't have an problem with them being here sooooo yes I think they should be able to have U.S. citizenship and I think the chances are good that they will succeed
How about the people of Haiti and Afghanistan, who can't afford to come here, and for whom it's too far to walk? Shouldn't they become US citizens, too? Isn't your idea, (of rewarding SOME non-citizens, but not ALL non-citizens) a form of exclusion? Maybe there's "good" people all over the world, not just in nearby countries...

Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Americans (of all races) should be given first consideration for any job before an immigrant is considered. Immigration should not be used to bring wages down to ridiculously low levels.

Immigration should not be limited to just the people of one country or a handful of countries, it should be limited to those people who truly wish to be American and can support themselves here in this country (we have a very high cost of living and that must be considered). Someone who truly wishes to be American most likely already has learned English, English speakers should be given priority over those who have made no effort to learn our language.

People who have broken our laws should not be rewarded for having broken them, definitely should not have priority over those who have abided by the laws. If an illegal lived here and broke no other laws, never committed ID theft or document fraud, never failed to pay income taxes owed and do on, and they've learned English and now wish to be here the right way, they should be allowed to go back and start the process the right way -- along with all the other would-be immigrants trying to do things the right way.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How about the people of Haiti and Afghanistan, who can't afford to come here, and for whom it's too far to walk? Shouldn't they become US citizens, too? Isn't your idea, (of rewarding SOME non-citizens, but not ALL non-citizens) a form of exclusion? Maybe there's "good" people all over the world, not just in nearby countries...
I think to some, the only "FAIR" way would be for us to send boats and planes all around the world and invite all people of the world to move to the USA for a better life.

Especially the over billion poor people of the world. That way EVERYBODY gets a chance to have the American way of life or at least access to American social safety net government programs, no limits whatsoever on how many come.

The cheap labor proponents would probably at least limit this to all the people of the world who would work for dirt pay -- the lower the wage the better. Since many people of the world are lucky to have $2-$3 a day, many would jump at the chance to come here. To the cheap labor proponents, there should be no limit at all to how many boat loads and truck loads and train loads of cheap labor they bring in, the more they bring, the lower their labor costs go.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,352,045 times
Those that are in the United States ILLEGALLY should not be eligible for United States Citizenship IMO.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,591,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Those that are in the United States ILLEGALLY should not be eligible for United States Citizenship IMO.
Let me see if I understand you....you're saying that if I go into a store and manage to steal a television without getting caught, that I could probably keep it.....but that I'd be presumptuous in demanding a service warranty, or a manufacturer's rebate?....sounds reasonable to ME..

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM

327 posts, read 756,773 times
So how many of you here ever consumed alcohol and got drunk before the age of 21? How about going over the speed limit? How about lying about your age or making a fake id to buy certain products and get into certain places you weren't supposed to be going when you were younger.

If you've ever done any of these things, you are a lawbreaker who has no respect for this country or its laws. The law is the law.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,235,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
So how many of you here ever consumed alcohol and got drunk before the age of 21? How about going over the speed limit? How about lying about your age or making a fake id to buy certain products and get into certain places you weren't supposed to be going when you were younger.

If you've ever done any of these things, you are a lawbreaker who has no respect for this country or its laws. The law is the law.
And; if you are an illegal doing any of the above----------not counting ID theft?

Sorry; why being in the USA illegally is only a misdeaminor (sp) is a mystery to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration