Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM

562 posts, read 662,082 times

Advertisements

Since this was a country founded by English speaking people (let's not get off track with the whole native american stuff here), it is only fitting that when people come here to live they learn to speak our home language - ENGLISH.

One of the problems we see is foreigners developing into their own 'little societies' and immigrants not making any effort to learn English.

I was in a grocery store one day about a year ago when a Mexican couple and two small kids were walking into an aisle and one of the kids turned to the other and started speaking in English to him. The father smacked him and said "You speak Spanish, you are a Mexican". I walked up to him and said "Mister, you live in America, and you should be telling that kid to speak English because this is his country, not Mexico". To which the man replied "We are Mexicans, not Americans". My last words? "Then why don't you take yourself and your little group of Mexicans here, and get your ass back across to your OWN country if you don't want to be Americans." That started him walking the other way cussing in Spanish and dragging his wife/kids with him.

These people try to come here and develop their own little version of Mexico in our country, rather than learn our language and learn to integrate with our society here.

To those who would disagree with me and call me a racist etc, I suggest you sell everything you own and move out of the USA if you don't wish to support it.

Yes this is the land of the free, for those who have a right to it.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:43 PM

16 posts, read 16,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Since this was a country founded by English speaking people (let's not get off track with the whole native american stuff here), it is only fitting that when people come here to live they learn to speak our home language - ENGLISH.
I hear you, brother—that whole Native American stuff is overrated and tired.

Quote:
I was in a grocery store one day about a year ago when a Mexican couple and two small kids were walking into an aisle and one of the kids turned to the other and started speaking in English to him. The father smacked him and said "You speak Spanish, you are a Mexican". I walked up to him and said "Mister, you live in America, and you should be telling that kid to speak English because this is his country, not Mexico". To which the man replied "We are Mexicans, not Americans". My last words? "Then why don't you take yourself and your little group of Mexicans here, and get your ass back across to your OWN country if you don't want to be Americans." That started him walking the other way cussing in Spanish and dragging his wife/kids with him.
This is an awesome story, man! The nerve on these Mexicans… What right did his kid have to speak some foreign mumbo-jumbo with his sibling, when he was in the good ol’ U.S. of A; I mean, it’s a free country, but that’s just way out of line. And you had every right to stick your nose in his business—maybe even kick his ass in front of his wife and kids—and then wash those kids’ mouths up with soap!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,470,655 times
Hmmmm, as a Native American myself I am curious Torrey. You don't want to entertain Native American "stuff" as it seems you are intolerant to the arguments they have. Yet you feel you have the right to dictate what language a family can speak? Please explain this to me, I would love to hear your reasoning.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Hmmmm, as a Native American myself I am curious Torrey. You don't want to entertain Native American "stuff" as it seems you are intolerant to the arguments they have. Yet you feel you have the right to dictate what language a family can speak? Please explain this to me, I would love to hear your reasoning.
I'll explain. My thread is about the United States history, not Native American History. The country which is the United States was founded by English speaking people. The Native Americans were a people who were here, but were not civilized, and there was no 'country' so to speak. They just lived here. It has always been the way of things in the past - the strong conquer and overcome and the weak fall. That is what happened with Native Americans, and this thread is not about them. It is about the English speaking United States, and the country founded by the first settlers from England.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,470,655 times
Torrey your opinions are your own, and I respect that. I certainly hope you are not passing your intolerance on to your children. I also hope that Santa brings you a history book for Christmas. Stop hating, life is too short

Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 PM

960 posts, read 1,692,592 times
Quote:
I'll explain. My thread is about the United States history, not Native American History. The country which is the United States was founded by English speaking people. The Native Americans were a people who were here, but were not civilized, and there was no 'country' so to speak. They just lived here. It has always been the way of things in the past - the strong conquer and overcome and the weak fall. That is what happened with Native Americans, and this thread is not about them. It is about the English speaking United States, and the country founded by the first settlers from England.

Native Americans were not civilized? OMG you must be kidding. ROFLMAO !!!
And you are insinuating that the Native Americans were conquered because they were weak ??? ...stop it stop it my eyes are watering I'm laughing so hard !!!

You gave me the best laugh of the week, thank you

Please don't let me hijack this thread...go back and discuss amongst yourselves.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,505,783 times
I am not sure I even believe the story you shared in the OP. If it is true, it is the first story of its kind I have ever heard and I have worked in LA as an inner-city teacher in a school of 99% out of 5,400 students who were Latino for 16 years.

Keep living in your little white bubble if you want, but if you want to actually DO something about it, why don't you get certified and teach ESL at the local community college or high school?

Dawn

Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am not sure I even believe the story you shared in the OP. If it is true, it is the first story of its kind I have ever heard and I have worked in LA as an inner-city teacher in a school of 99% out of 5,400 students who were Latino for 16 years.

Keep living in your little white bubble if you want, but if you want to actually DO something about it, why don't you get certified and teach ESL at the local community college or high school?

Dawn
You are insinuating I am lying about my encounter in the local grocery store? Come on down to *******ville and I'll show you around. You people who do not live in a city or state over-run with illegals have a jaded eye as to what the truth of the matter is in these areas of the country. Teach English as a second language? No thanks, they can learn BEFORE they come across the water - LEGALLY.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Native Americans were not civilized? OMG you must be kidding. ROFLMAO !!!
And you are insinuating that the Native Americans were conquered because they were weak ??? ...stop it stop it my eyes are watering I'm laughing so hard !!!

You gave me the best laugh of the week, thank you

Please don't let me hijack this thread...go back and discuss amongst yourselves.
Uh, NO, they were savages. Native Americans were weak, hence we took over. To deny the fact is ridiculous. Come on and try to hijack this thread with your ignorant responses!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Torrey your opinions are your own, and I respect that. I certainly hope you are not passing your intolerance on to your children. I also hope that Santa brings you a history book for Christmas. Stop hating, life is too short
Who's hating the Native Americans? I just said this thread is NOT about them. This country was conquered by whites, and the Natives lost. End of story.

My intolerance is for people who come to this country, the United States, and expect us to learn their language to communicate with them. We speak ENGLISH here. If we spoke Cherokee or whatever other Native American tongue, would we even be having this conversation in ENGLISH? I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.