Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,116,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
If you were able to comprehend my post, you would have figured out that I don't necessarily believe that there is anything illegal. The country belongs to NO ONE.

And, since you're obviously not reading the posts. You would have read many comments about tax dollars paying to educate "illegal" immigrants and give them healthcare. It is true that tax dollars do this. That means we pay for it. I don't have a problem with it like some, however.

Also, it's really arrogant and presumptuous of you to talk down to me and tell me I have no respect and appreciation. The foundation of America resulted in a war. Thank you very much.
It doesn't matter what you "believe", despite the fact that they have not been enforced, there is a proper and legal way to become a citizen in this great nation. Laws aren't a buffet, you can't pick and choose which ones you want to recognize and which ones you don't.

Your post is theoretical nonsense. I propose that you spend a month in a 3rd world country, and when you comeback you will never again take for granted how good you have it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,354,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
It doesn't matter what you "believe", despite the fact that they have not been enforced, there is a proper and legal way to become a citizen in this great nation. Laws aren't a buffet, you can't pick and choose which ones you want to recognize and which ones you don't.

Your post is theoretical nonsense. I propose that you spend a month in a 3rd world country, and when you comeback you will never again take for granted how good you have it here.

I've been to third world countries. Again, there you go with the arrogance. You've got a lot of nerve.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I've been to third world countries. Again, there you go with the arrogance. You've got a lot of nerve.

Listen, I get it, you spent however many years getting your Ivy League indoctrination, but now you will have to grow up, get a job and join the real world. Pretty soon you will realize that all that pap that your Marxist professors were spewing was theoretical nonsense.

I'm not arrogant at all, I just appreciate and respect this great country of ours. I challenge you to google Australia and their policy towards illegal immigrants, or any country in Europe, or even Mexico for crying out loud, you'll be embarassed at how you reacted towards ours.

There is a legal and proper way to immigrate to this country, but it is not a right, it is a privilege. It may seem like I am being hard on you, but you need it and will appreciate it someday. You received your ivory tower indoctrination, now it's time for a real world education; a practical one.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 AM

23,270 posts, read 29,128,134 times
Quote:

I propose that you spend a month in a 3rd world country, and when you comeback you will never again take for granted how good you have it here.
What marks a country 3rd world? Lots of corruption and a huge gulf between the rich and poor. Lobbying in DC, a state capital, or city council members? It will always spell corruption to me, buying votes!

Welcome to the United States!

Save your air fare, there's now 3rd world areas of this country which look worse than what I've seen in Mexico, Central America and Asia.

This country has a way of desguising it up better than others, but I've got eyes! And ears!

Anyone know how Mexico treats their illegals from Central America?

Last edited by tijlover; 06-11-2011 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,250,381 times
Quote:
if so, it's attitudes like yours that undermine the foundation of this great nation. You have no respect and appreciation for how good you have it here.
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're "undermining the foundation of this great nation"? Interesting.
Illegal immigration IS a problem, and maybe Alabama's law has some merit (though I think it's more knee jerk political grandstanding than anything else), but the problems in this country run much deeper than that. In my opinion, to curb illegal immigration, go after the businesses that hire them-go after them HARD. But I suppose it's less risky politically to just hassle someone who doesn't look "American".

Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're "undermining the foundation of this great nation"? Interesting.
Illegal immigration IS a problem, and maybe Alabama's law has some merit (though I think it's more knee jerk political grandstanding than anything else), but the problems in this country run much deeper than that. In my opinion, to curb illegal immigration, go after the businesses that hire them-go after them HARD. But I suppose it's less risky politically to just hassle someone who doesn't look "American".

No......he said that he does not believe in legal or illegal and is an advocate of open borders. If that is not the very definition of undermining our sovereignty than i do not know what is.

Who disagrees with going after the employer? Why does it have to be an either/or? And what exactly is an "American look?" Is that you're subtle race card for "white?"

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What marks a country 3rd world? Lots of corruption and a huge gulf between the rich and poor. Lobbying in DC, a state capital, or city council members? It will always spell corruption to me, buying votes!

Welcome to the United States!

Save your air fare, there's now 3rd world areas of this country which look worse than what I've seen in Mexico, Central America and Asia.

This country has a way of desguising it up better than others, but I've got eyes! And ears!

Anyone know how Mexico treats their illegals from Central America?

Terrible, terrible post. Awful, terrible.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,776 times
Sophiasmommy, I'm so disappointed that you have been called names and harassed for stating your well thought out opinions. It's unnerving to me that you would be called a racist or referred to as being "unchristian" because you want to see our laws enforced. It is truly a shame that our country is coming to this.

The far left are the one's that brought race into this struggle with groups such as LaRaza (the race) lobbying for special favors for those that have no legal right to be here. The United States is the only country left in the world that offers birthright citizenship and it is time that is changed as well. In looking at the FAIR website it is my opinion that their stance is that we slow down all immigration until we can straighten out our problems. That seems only logical as we now have around 20 million people here that are undocumented that we know of.

The comments implying that it is not Christian Like to want our laws enforced baffles my mind. I am a Christian and I rely on God's help in my daily life. I have never felt that God was sending me messages to take things from others to make my own life better. It has always been my feeling that through my faith he will give me the answers to my own problems without resorting to breaking the law. Coming here illegally is only the beginning of the laws being broken. Driving without a license and uninsured can cause catastrophic consequences to anyone that is unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident with an illegal alien. And having your SS# used by someone illegally caused nightmares for anyone that has been down that road. Many don't understand that if someone uses your card you are responsible to pay the taxes on the income they made. The alternative is hiring a lawyer to fight the IRS.

To vaughnwilliams...isn't that what this law is doing? I agree that going after the employers is key to to whole situation. The unemployment level in Mexico is half what it is in the US. They also have free medical care.

While I have empathy for those that want to make a better life for their families I recognize that with over 9% unemployment we have a real problem for our own citizens. And as a christian and a citizen I would like to help those that have done things the right way achieve that. It is not racist, there are illegals of all races here. And there are people from far poorer countries than Mexico that would like to be here.

Can someone explain to me how someone can enter this country illegally and not commit numerous crimes in order to live here?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
A lot of tax dollars are going to be spent defending challenges to this stuff.
Probably more than offset by the tax savings to the welfare system.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
This is what I meant when I said I don't care about whatever Bentley said about Christian brothers and all that.
I care far more about this (which I consider scapegoating), the embryo-personhood and anti-abortion bills, and the jeffco home rule bills. But alas, I'm far out of the Alabama mainstream.
I understand the need to enforce hiring practices through methods such as e-verify. Turning off the demand for black market labor is reasonable and beneficial for many parties (except some businesses, and those who want to pay people too little for agricultural products and construction). Although I do think increased enforcement on the business end should be in concert with increased legal avenues for immigration.
The method of criminalizing individuals in the bill is, in my view, demagoguery that can have real on the ground effects.
There are enough criminal laws for individuals on the books. Punishing people further is not helpful.
I also agree with the ridiculousness of the outright admitted attempts of getting into supreme court battles for these issues. But I guess if I were passionate about these issues from a conservative stance I would be fine with it.
I think the crux of the issue is that 9% of the state is unemployed, yet we are essentially sanctioning people to be here illegally, thereby depriving legal residents of jobs.

Walk onto a construction site today, and almost all the labor is Latino. That in itself is neither here nor there. But when you realize that a large proportion of those workers are probably there illegally, you begin to realize how many jobs have been displaced because government and the private sector decided to look the other way. The same is true of menial jobs in agriculture, hospitality, and retail. Whenever an illegal holds one of those jobs in Alabama, that means an Alabamian is out of work. Not only that, but the wage scale for illegals is lower, which keeps a downward pressure on wages. That's no bogus theory. It's Economics 101, the Law of Supply and Demand.

To be honest, nobody really cared in 2007, when Birmingham's unemployment was at an unheard of 2.4%. Today it's a different issue entirely. To sit and decry this legislation and to simultaneously worry about the economic lot of blue-collar workers is contradictory. The two issues are inextricably linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration