Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,213,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have already explained my position. If you want a "definition" of demand and accommodate, I suggest you Google.
Obviously I know the literal meanings, I am asking what "demands" and "accommodations" you are referring to. You gave a vague description, and I stated that the only demands we have been told about are re: school curricula.

I am looking for clarity regarding your position, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Or some of these schools are requiring that our English speaking students learn Spanish. "Moving students from English to Spanish".
Why would they be moving in that direction?...

I asked for sourced data of public schools teaching many subjects primarily in Spanish...

If it is as common as said, the data should be easy to find...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
And math. And history. And science.
And not requiring them to learn those subjects IN Spanish...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Only one of those given definitions cannot be used to literally describe legal immigrants, and that's trespasser. Now, if you wanted to get less literal, trespasser works for them too. Of course, if you want to get MORE literal, illegal immigrants aren't trespassing in the legal sense.
I realize you think you’re being cute, but this nonsense only serves to unveil your true agenda, which is, to disrupt this board. Otherwise, you would debate with some semblance of maturity. I know it’s rather boring at DAP, but this is ridiculous.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I realize you think you’re being cute, but this nonsense only serves to unveil your true agenda, which is, to disrupt this board. Otherwise, you would debate with some semblance of maturity. I know it’s rather boring at DAP, but this is ridiculous.
Have I not been debating seriously?

I perhaps care about the use of rhetoric and language more than you do. That doesn't mean my purpose is to disrupt this board. I think it's clearly not.

My point was that you can call legal immigrants "foreign interlopers" if you wanted to, it doesn't go against the definition. You decided to take a stand on that issue, but instead of saying "sure, I guess that's correct" you accuse me of trying to disrupt the board. Great.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Have I not been debating seriously?

I perhaps care about the use of rhetoric and language more than you do. That doesn't mean my purpose is to disrupt this board. I think it's clearly not.

My point was that you can call legal immigrants "foreign interlopers" if you wanted to, it doesn't go against the definition. You decided to take a stand on that issue, but instead of saying "sure, I guess that's correct" you accuse me of trying to disrupt the board. Great.
You are being deliberately obtuse by feigning confusion to the meaning of my posts. I have already explained that they are demanding to be accommodated in their language. I don’t know how much clearer I can be.

As for interlopers, you also clearly understand both the meaning and the context in which it was used. Again, stop playing games.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

118 posts, read 95,659 times
Quote:
I have already explained that they are demanding to be accommodated in their language. I don’t know how much clearer I can be.
And it's been explained that no one is forcing anyone to accommodate them. It's been explained why many businesses do accommodate other cultures. Just because you see someone in a Walmart making a demand doesn't mean that's representative of the whole.

eg

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You are being deliberately obtuse by feigning confusion to the meaning of my posts. I have already explained that they are demanding to be accommodated in their language. I don’t know how much clearer I can be.

As for interlopers, you also clearly understand both the meaning and the context in which it was used. Again, stop playing games.
I never SAID I didn't understand what you meant, did I? I was pointing out that you could use the same rhetoric in other cases. Can we drop this?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
And it's been explained that no one is forcing anyone to accommodate them. It's been explained why many businesses do accommodate other cultures. Just because you see someone in a Walmart making a demand doesn't mean that's representative of the whole.

eg
I don’t shop at Walmart, so it would be impossible for me to form an opinion on that basis. However, I do have friends in the medical profession who encounter their arrogance on a daily basis. So, don’t tell me they aren’t DEMANDING to be accommodated in Spanish, and even threatening through their English-speaking companion, to sue for discrimination if their DEMANDS are not met. Mind you, quite of few of these ingrates are capable of speaking English, they simply prefer to be coddled. After all, they’re special.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM

So they are demanding to be told medical information in a language they are better at understanding? Ahem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration