Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM

35 posts, read 23,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Reaching now? Where did I mention it was a law to?

The interpreter is irrelevant. The guy knows English. Whoever paid for his interpreter wasted an unneeded expense.

It's out of respect, not for his own comfort.

His citizen status is irrelevant as well.
We've already been over this. Do you really think it's more "respectful" for him to stumble through his testimony in a non-native language, wasting the PRECIOUS TIME of these super-important overlords, possibly stating things in a confusing or inaccurate fashion?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,697 times
And yeah, BTW, state senators' sense of self worth are often inflated to a point that is hard for the average person to comprehend.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,657,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsandBarsForever View Post
Respect for what? He is there to give testimony, not to bow down to the Congressman. He felt more comfortable speaking in Spanish so he did so that the court could have the best testimony available. You do know that other people speak other languages and might do so even in State functions, right?
Kill the hyperbole.

Respect for what? How about his town? The senate committee? Everyone in the room? The country he immigrated to?

I don't care. If I CAN speak English, I WILL TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. If I CAN NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AT ALL, I will ask for an interpreter. That's a part of assimilation. By not doing this you're insulting everyone, exactly what that Senator was talking about.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 PM

You're not explaining why that's insulting, you are just saying that it is so.

36 posts, read 19,378 times
Quote:
Kill the hyperbole.

Respect for what? How about his town? The senate committee? Everyone in the room? The country he immigrated to?

I don't care. If I CAN speak English, I WILL TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. If I CAN NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AT ALL, I will ask for an interpreter. That's a part of assimilation. By not doing this you're insulting everyone, exactly what that Senator was talking about.
I dont feel insulted.

1,890 posts, read 2,657,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAnumber1 View Post
We've already been over this. Do you really think it's more "respectful" for him to stumble through his testimony in a non-native language, wasting the PRECIOUS TIME of these super-important overlords, possibly stating things in a confusing or inaccurate fashion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
And yeah, BTW, state senators' sense of self worth are often inflated to a point that is hard for the average person to comprehend.
I'm sensing a pattern here.

15 posts, read 9,978 times
Quote:
Kill the hyperbole.

Well I'm glad you have Lariat's rules for giving testimony which involve not finding the truth or giving a complete testimony as much as it is a demonstration of showing respect, and bowing down to English, but other Americans would rather have a person give a full testimony, a complete testimony so that whatever issue at hand can be fully resolved even if that testimony is in another language or not.

The Senator is demonstrating that he demands "respect" and that this hampers his ability to fulfill his role of a Senator and was rightly rebuked for letting his personal feelings get in the way.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I'm sensing a pattern here.
...are you implying that you think we're the same person? lol...

You know, The Office has an ongoing gag about the non-importance of state senators.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM

35 posts, read 23,588 times
Quote:
By not doing this you're insulting everyone, exactly what that Senator was talking about.
Kill the hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration