Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM

20 posts, read 12,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
U.S. Immigration Policy Risks

That is exactly what you are doing. They are educated in the States and they go back to their homeland where they would eventually be compete with the States - doctors, scientists etc. This is about the immigration system in general not about the undocumented - more about those given the student visas.
But you said it was mandatory that chinese and Indian trained doctors and such HAVE to go back.....

Don't they make exceptions or anything ???

Seems pretty silly I mean we currently have a major nursing shortage in the U.S. but if we had a major DOCTOR shortage could they relieve those rules or would they actually have to get congress to change the law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:
U.S. Immigration Policy Risks

That is exactly what you are doing. They are educated in the States and they go back to their homeland where they would eventually be compete with the States - doctors, scientists etc. This is about the immigration system in general not about the undocumented - more about those given the student visas.
What is an "undocumented"? How will they be competing for jobs in our country if they are sent back to their homelands? The subject is still about the Dreamies, isn't it?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

118 posts, read 95,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Very few illegals work in agriculture. Total agricultural jobs are only about 1 million with illegals holding up to 25% of these jobs - that accounts for only about 500,000 illegals at the very most but likely closer to 250,000.

It would be better to promote stability and growth in the sending regions -- and massive immigration certainly does not accomplish that. But also the USA cannot take in all the impoverished people of the world who would like to have a comfortable middle class standard of living.

Could you list all these middle class jobs that these illiterate and unskilled illegals are taking away from Americans?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM

34 posts, read 42,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevensixtyseven View Post
But you said it was mandatory that chinese and Indian trained doctors and such HAVE to go back.....
Where did I say they have to go back? I say its important to retain such talent in the country rather than send them back which is why the current immigration system needs to be reformed. Sorry if I did say that although I don't recall saying something of the sort!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Where did I say they have to go back? I say its important to retain such talent in the country rather than send them back which is why the current immigration system needs to be reformed. Sorry if I did say that although I don't recall saying something of the sort!
Reform? I wouldn't call giving amnesty to millions of illegals aliens a "reform". What are we "reforming"?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 9,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Reform? I wouldn't call giving amnesty to millions of illegals aliens a "reform". What are we "reforming"?
A bad law?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM

34 posts, read 42,098 times
[quote] I do think illegals need to be controlled but deporting the good illegals (the ones I mentioned above) will certainly not be a benefit to the economy especially since the immigration system denies permanent residence to chinese and indians that are educated in the US - so they go compete against it - that is really what immigration officers should work on.

is this true ??? You mean we make doctors and stuff here and then make them go home ??? I guess what I'm really asking is are we really training people to compete against us ??? Why would we do that ? [quote]

I think this is what you were referring to possibly...what I meant to say was that immigration officers should work on retaining those educated in America such as foreign students granted study visas rather than send them back home when their degree is complete.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:
Ah I sense some inconsistency in the arguments then beause some posters have stated that graduates feel a drop in their wages (because of the undocumented) but you're here saying your husband earns even more than the average. Therefore having undocumented people should not be worrying from the aspect of wages of skilled labour, as they only put downward pressure on wages of certain skills.
Illegals fill primarily unskilled wage jobs.

Her husband, a LEGAL immigrant most likely has a highly skilled job that requires a professional degree, since most LEGAL immigrants fill jobs in sectors like engineering and technology that cannot be filled by citizens.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Illegals fill primarily unskilled wage jobs.

Her husband, a LEGAL immigrant most likely has a highly skilled job that requires a professional degree, since most LEGAL immigrants fill jobs in sectors like engineering and technology that cannot be filled by citizens.
THANK YOU! Yes, these pro-illegals are exhausting to deal with. Almost worse than trying to explain why you shouldn't touch a hot stove to an obstinate toddler.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM

[quote=M.1989;19796241][quote] I do think illegals need to be controlled but deporting the good illegals (the ones I mentioned above) will certainly not be a benefit to the economy especially since the immigration system denies permanent residence to chinese and indians that are educated in the US - so they go compete against it - that is really what immigration officers should work on.

is this true ??? You mean we make doctors and stuff here and then make them go home ??? I guess what I'm really asking is are we really training people to compete against us ??? Why would we do that ?
Quote:

I think this is what you were referring to possibly...what I meant to say was that immigration officers should work on retaining those educated in America such as foreign students granted study visas rather than send them back home when their degree is complete.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Don't you think we should first determine whether or not we need these so-called good illegals? I am not sure we need them either. It isn't like we have a shortage of American professionals at least not that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration