Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,023,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
For very scenic, small town photography I really enjoy Solvang, Santa Ynez, Buellton and the surrounding area. The ethnic makup is mixed and I am sure there are some illegals that live there but they aren't the dominant group.
Wait, what?

Solvang is an immigrant community that has deliberately avoiding integrating with the dominant US culture and has imposed their culture on the whole town.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,504,247 times
Quote:
Here are some interesting stats on Moorpark, Ca. Note that it is over 65% white and only 33% Hispanic (which would incude illegal aliens) and over 66% non-Hispanic by ethnic group overall. Could this explain why it is mostly a clean looking town? You decide. Over 70% of the homes are worth $300,000 and up and over 50% worth much more. The average household income is over $118,000. Not a place where most illegal aliens could afford to live in for the most part.

I would hardly contribute the cleanliness of Moorpark to its illegal alien population. It would be more like Moorpark has strict city ordinances against trashy looking neighborhoods and all have to comply. It is more of an upscale town rather than a haven for illegal aliens and what most of their neighborhoods look like.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
That 70% of homes you are talking about are more recent builds within the last 4 or 5 years and are not in Moorpark Proper. They are up in the hills, where for many years building was prohibited. They are also gated properties where one needs to check in with the guard before being allowed in. My husband and I had a client in this particular neighborhood who is one of the players on the New Orleans Saints football team. Some of the people living in Moorpark Proper will refer to themselves as Spaniard instead of Hispanic. There are a number of older neighborhoods where the Hispanic population lives, including many illegals. Some of the area included in the demographics is actually disputed, with some considering it to be in Simi Valley, while others consider it a portion of Thousand Oaks. Multiple town addresses often come up for some of the Moorpark area. I would be happy to take you on a tour of the town if you are ever in the area so you can see it personally.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,504,247 times
I neglected to mention that my sister and her husband, as well as my brother and his wife, live in one of the disputed areas. When they moved there it was considered Simi Valley. Now, nobody knows if it is in Simi or Moorpark, since they are technically closer to Simi Valley. They don't even use the Moorpark Police for call-outs. Instead they have to call the sheriff's office. Trash and utilities are provided through Simi Valley, yet for the moment it is being listed as being part of Moorpark, kind of, sort of, maybe

Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Wait, what?

Solvang is an immigrant community that has deliberately avoiding integrating with the dominant US culture and has imposed their culture on the whole town.
It's a small ethnic business town, not what you are implying. Much like Chinatown. The surrounding towns are a mix of ethnic groups.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
That 70% of homes you are talking about are more recent builds within the last 4 or 5 years and are not in Moorpark Proper. They are up in the hills, where for many years building was prohibited. They are also gated properties where one needs to check in with the guard before being allowed in. My husband and I had a client in this particular neighborhood who is one of the players on the New Orleans Saints football team. Some of the people living in Moorpark Proper will refer to themselves as Spaniard instead of Hispanic. There are a number of older neighborhoods where the Hispanic population lives, including many illegals. Some of the area included in the demographics is actually disputed, with some considering it to be in Simi Valley, while others consider it a portion of Thousand Oaks. Multiple town addresses often come up for some of the Moorpark area. I would be happy to take you on a tour of the town if you are ever in the area so you can see it personally.
The stats are there for you to read as to the fact that 66% are non-hispanics living there and an overwhelmingly majority are white people. It is an upscale town regardless of the fact that there is a mix of old and new housing. I imagine there are some illegals that live there since 33% of the town is Hispanic and they are probably the nannies, maids and landscapers to the rich. Still Moorpark obviously doesn't tolerate their cheap, illegal labor trashing their neighborhoods. If they did I am sure you would have a seen a much different picture.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Not enough to get the "focus"?...
My focus in on illegal aliens period, regardless if they live in trashy neighborhoods or not. Is that clear enough for you?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,035,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Wait, what?

But are you referring to legal immigrants?
Or illegal aliens?
(from...the Netherlands...excuse me while I crack up laughing at this possibility that they
just strolled over here illegally from the Netherlands...anyway...)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,469,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, granted there are a lot of areas, particularly in the inner-cities, which end up being dumpy ghettos. But the small town of Moorpark was once a dumpy mini-ghetto. I remember when all of the houses there were just thrown-together shacks, literally! We called it the shanty town. It was ugly, dirty and depressing. There is still one small area where the people are less welcoming, but they have a heavy gang influence. But, this area is also being slowly but surely renovated. The Hispanic neighborhood we wandered around had NO graffiti, not ANY! What I saw were people who were proud of their neighborhood and it showed in how they kept their homes and gardens, even the very small and modest properties which were lived in by much poorer families.

I saw a different side to these people which before I didn't notice because I had insulated myself from them and their world. I grew up with a societal perception of this bordering town and the people in it. I chose to put those perceptions to the test and found them lacking in merit.
Cyanna, from what many people are saying the town your photos show do not have many illegals just a high population of hispanics. Any town whatever ethnicity can be good. I was just saying that most towns that have a high number ofillegals turn into dumpy ghettos.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Cyanna, from what many people are saying the town your photos show do not have many illegals just a high population of hispanics. Any town whatever ethnicity can be good. I was just saying that most towns that have a high number ofillegals turn into dumpy ghettos.
Moorpark doesn't even have a high population of Hispanics. The stats are all there to read. It is 66% non-Hispanic.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,469,757 times
Quote:
Moorpark doesn't even have a high population of Hispanics. The stats are all there to read. It is 66% non-Hispanic.
34% is still pretty high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration