Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,079,214 times

Advertisements

I'd like to live in Hua'Lien Taiwan. It has a climate very similiar to Kauai, HI but slightly rainier. It's tropical and mountainous, but the seabreeze keeps it from getting stifling and disgusting like Taipei. The population density is low, and there are lots of lush valleys and carefully-tended sugarcane fields. The ocean is warm and there is good surf year-round.

On the downside, it gets hit by several typhoons every year and earthquakes are common. On the upside of the downside, the land is high with good drainage and the locals are experts in sturdy construction, so there is little flooding from the Typhoons and even Category-5 Supertyphoons (Similiar in strength to Hurricane Andrew) don't do much serious damage. In fact, 2 super-typhoons hit there in 2005 and there were no deaths from either storm.

There are lots of good-paying jobs for English-speakers and the public transportation and healthcare system are both nationalized and surprisingly efficient and effective. Unfortunately, I want to work in a specific field and there is non of my kind of industry there. I could make a good living as a teacher, but that's not the job I want for the rest of my life. In fact the only reason I don't move is because I really like my current job. I'll probably live there for a few years someday. That's not to say I don't like the US. I think it's a great country founded on solid principles. There are lots of great places to live here too, and the ROC has it's drawbacks as well.

I would try to legally immigrate. If I couldn't, I'd consider staying illegally on an expired temporary visa. It's just a stupid piece of paper, after all.

I don't think it's okay for people to come to our country illegally. I think our immigration system is broken and should be fixed so people can come to our country legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

354 posts, read 326,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I would try to legally immigrate. If I couldn't, I'd consider staying illegally on an expired temporary visa. It's just a stupid piece of paper, after all.

I don't think it's okay for people to come to our country illegally. I think our immigration system is broken and should be fixed so people can come to our country legally.
Actually, you proved with your own words that you don't care if one is a criminal or not. You proved that, no matter what you say, because you say that you would willingly do it illegally. Birds of a feather and all of that. Thanks so much for proving exactly what I have been saying and what I have said.

In fact, you do think it is ok for people to immigrate illegally because you are willing to do it for yourself. The immigration rules and laws of this country are not broken in any sense. The only reason some think it is, is because they want the poor and uneducated to be allowed to overrun this country from Mexico. If we went back to the immigration laws and rules and such that we had pre-1965 we could get back to what this country was supposed to be about, and of course after deporting all illegals and jailing and leveling high fines to those that shelter and hide any and all illegals.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 54,029 times
I don't have a working visa, but I REALLY want to work. Any suggestions? I can't go back to my country because my husband's job requires him to live here. Don't get me wrong, I like living here, but I really would like to work!!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,079,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
Actually, you proved with your own words that you don't care if one is a criminal or not. You proved that, no matter what you say, because you say that you would willingly do it illegally. Birds of a feather and all of that. Thanks so much for proving exactly what I have been saying and what I have said.
Save your "Ah-Ha's". The world is not as black-and-white as you or our president seem to think it is.

Sure. I believe that lex naturalis exists and that it can be used to justify criticism or violation of an unjust and immoral legal situation. There are numerous historical examples that support my arguments. Prohibition, slavery, and WWII war crimes trials are some of the most well-known.

I believe that prohibition was stupid even if legally implemented, slavery was wrong even if legal, and that war criminals should be prosecuted even if they followed the letter of the law. So yes, I am in that flock of birds. Do you disagree and believe that there is no such thing as natural law?

As for immigrating to another country. Well, there seems to be no contention about legal immigration, so let's stick with illegal. In that, it seems intent is important.

If I were to violate the ROC's immigration laws with the intent of remaining unemployed and a burden on the state, then I would be in opposition to both written and natural law. Likewise, if I circumvented a reasonable existing immigration process, "cutting in line", or otherwise causing harm to others through my actions, again, I would be in the wrong by letter and by nature.

However, If I wanted to move there to enjoy the climate and be a productive member of society, yet I was barred by unfair laws from my reasonable actions, I would only be in opposition to the written law were I to immigrate illegally.

The crux of the problem is the definition of reasonable and rightly the source of debate.

Quote:
In fact, you do think it is ok for people to immigrate illegally because you are willing to do it for yourself.
Yes, if I were in the position of some illegal immigrants, I would likely make the same choices as them. Would let your children starve or raise them in poverty rather than cross the border without papers?

Quote:
The immigration rules and laws of this country are not broken in any sense.
You only think that because you have never had to deal with them, nor have you bothered to educate yourself on what you are talking about. Visit USCIS Home Page for more information and see for yourself.

Quote:
The only reason some think it is, is because they want the poor and uneducated to be allowed to overrun this country from Mexico.
Why would I want that?

I do not want that. I do not believe it will happen if we reform the immigration system and offer illegal residents the chance to legalize after paying back-taxes, fees, and passing a background check.

Quote:
If we went back to the immigration laws and rules and such that we had pre-1965 we could get back to what this country was supposed to be about, and of course after deporting all illegals and jailing and leveling high fines to those that shelter and hide any and all illegals.
Are you even aware of the immigration laws pre-1965? A return to them would allow the equivilant of 0.6% of the US population to immigrate to the United States every year, excluding IR's of US Citizens. (We can also assume this would exclude the smaller numbers of L-1's and H1's and other specialty visas)

That's 1,800,000 immigrants, compared to today's 55,000 through the diversity lottery system and 750,000 through extended family connections.

That's nearly 1 million extra immigrants per year! Even I wouldn't suggest such extreme numbers. I was thinking more along the lines of 500,000 legal immigrants (with proof of gainful employment) per year, with an option to increase the cap in following years as needed.

I had no idea you were so pro-immigration! Wow.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 8,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
The crux of the problem is the definition of reasonable and rightly the source of debate.
And the definition of “reasonable†isn’t to open the doors to illegal immigration when it’s useful to the economic purposes of a few, and then leaving the immigrants at the mercy of the wolves when exploiting them is no longer convenient. That is what the government has been doing for a long time now.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

484 posts, read 1,946,622 times
The only reason some think it is, is because they want the poor and uneducated to be allowed to overrun this country from Mexico.

One hundred years ago, people were saying the same things about the Irish.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:41 PM

764 posts, read 1,458,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post

One hundred years ago, people were saying the same things about the Irish.
What was the population 100 years ago? What was the status of our natural resources? What were the population densities per city? How many metropolitan areas were there? How many automobiles were spewing filth into the air? How many people were trying to produce as many offspring as possible to increase their numbers to become less of a minority? How's that working out now? How will it work out from now on? How were our liberties being protected 100 years ago? How are they being protected now? How will this newest human tsunami's damage be mitigated? Etc.

Stop with the comparisons to the days of yore already! It ain't the same; ain't even close.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,294,616 times
sponger: You really do need to reconsider your assumptions about illegal immigrants. They are not all impoverished and "starving." I mean, really. Have you ever thought about how paternalistic and condescending your attitude is, and how riddled with assumptions? And I ask that with all due respect. This broad-brushstroke which paints all--or even most--illegal immigrants with the pathos of desperation and nowhere-else-to-turn is simply misguided. The situation is much more complicated than that. If you want legalization for Mayan indians who clearly are starving and treated horribly by other Mexicans, or Central Americans who have suffered abuse at the hands of their government or militias, I have no problem whatsoever with that. But this idea that anybody and everybody who comes from Mexico is somehow an innocent victim, just trying to make a better life, is wrong. Are you saying that people who are not white and are also poor should be allowed to break the law? That such people should not be required to be responsible for their actions? That somehow poverty and belonging to a certain race and/or culture confer sainthood? If you think about it, that's an incredibly condescending and even racist (however unintentional) attitude, typical of the great-white-father tradition of deciding on behalf of those he thinks are powerless.

Think of your country, sponger. And I'm not talking here about the people or the culture or the history, or any of that. I'm talking about the land and the animals necessary to its health: the country. You are willing to sacrifice them in order to accommodate people who have a country, who should be protesting in the streets of their own country for their rights, yet prefer to come here illegally, instead? I am sorry, but I am not willing to make that sacrifice.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 AM

652 posts, read 2,806,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
So.
If the U.S. turns into a welcome-mat for immigrants from "everywhere", and that is bothersome to you, how many of you would prefer to return to your ancestors' homeland? ie. the birth-place of your parents/grandparents/greatgrandparents?

I have experience in the non-profit realm and am wondering if this could be a viable option for me to pursue.
So the U.S. is no longer an Anglo Saxon homeland, despite all that was done by the Ulster-Scots and others to secure the territory of the U.S. and lay the groundwork for the nation that it became? Indeed, we're in odd times...

Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 AM

764 posts, read 1,458,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

(snip)

Think of your country, sponger. And I'm not talking here about the people or the culture or the history, or any of that. I'm talking about the land and the animals necessary to its health: the country. You are willing to sacrifice them in order to accommodate people who have a country, who should be protesting in the streets of their own country for their rights, yet prefer to come here illegally, instead? I am sorry, but I am not willing to make that sacrifice.
". . . who should be protesting in the streets of their own country for their rights . . ."

Precisely the issue! There are no new frontiers to settle. We have myriad problems of our own to settle. Let every nation settle their own. We don't need theirs to add to ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration