Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

34 posts, read 22,097 times

Advertisements

This isn't like an opinion. The SS agency knows how many illegals are getting payroll taxes taken out.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Quote:
The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM

951 posts, read 745,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
They made it clear they were only interested in hiring people who speak Spanish and for minimum wage. That is, real Americans need not apply.

So I'm not a real American if I can speak Spanish?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,020,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What has changed? I will tell you, NOTHING. Your response remains the same. According to you, most employers already pay illegals “all that stuff.” To which I responded, if employers are already paying the same to illegals as to citizens, how do they profit from employing illegal aliens? I was not replying to his comments, I was responding to yours. Now, do you get it?
I really don't get it. Sorry. I honestly do not understand what point you're trying to make. Are you saying it's impossible for employers to make a profit if they pay payroll taxes, social security, workmans comp, etc?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
No it isn't. Employers hire them to cut labor costs. Different employers have different ideas about how to get away with it. Some avoid Americans and hire illegals because there is very little pressure for raises with illegals and they can break a few laws, but their motivation behind paying all those costs (looking legal) is so they can say, "I had no clue 48 of my 50 employees were illegal aliens." A nursery here in Sacramento did exactly that. When they got "busted" their penalty wasn't much more that having to fire them. Their solution? They made it clear they were only interested in hiring people who speak Spanish and for minimum wage. That is, real Americans need not apply.

During the housing boom one of the builders here got busted for having a crew of over 100 illegal aliens. The reason this builder got busted was he was already under investigation for tax evasion and one of his employees got shot himself in the hand with a power nail gun, it got infected, he went to emergency at the taxpayers expense and the Worker's Compensation Board got involved. He was paying this guy $15 an hour off the books, thinking if he pays them more than minimum wage they won't complain if they are injured or something. The illegals think $15 an hour is great when taxes aren't taken out of it, and it is better for the employer who would normally have to pay $18 an hour, plus payroll taxes. This builder was fined and he had to fire his illegal workers. The fine didn't stop him. He was caught hiring illegals again, then a third time. Obviously the fines aren't a deterrent. The only thing that stopped him was the economy when he closed the business. I'm sure the illegal aliens he fired shrugged their shoulders and went to work for someone else.
The issue of hiring people off the books is completely separate. People hire US citizens off the books all the time. We can trade anecdotes all day but that doesn't prove anything.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Do you think it's possible to pay "that stuff" for two guys and still pay them different amounts in their paycheck? yes or no.
Bump for benicar. Yes or no.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
I really don't get it. Sorry. I honestly do not understand what point you're trying to make. Are you saying it's impossible for employers to make a profit if they pay payroll taxes, social security, workmans comp, etc?
No, I am saying, how do they profit more from the “cheap” illegal labor, if, as you claim, they are paying illegals the same, and paying their required taxes and insurance? If they have the same overhead by employing an illegal as a citizen, why would they risk fines and imprisonment by violating the law? It defies logic.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Bump for benicar. Yes or no.
C'mon, let’s not play games. Two people can have the same position, the same seniority, the same work hours, and the same pay rate, and receive the same gross pay, and “all that stuff” and receive entirely different net amounts depending on their respective taxes and other deductions. In fact, it is rare for two people to have the same net pay. It isn’t the amount deposited in your bank account, but the pay rate, etc. that determines pay equity.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, I am saying, how do they profit more from the “cheap” illegal labor, if, as you claim, they are paying illegals the same, and paying their required taxes and insurance? If they have the same overhead by employing an illegal as a citizen, why would they risk fines and imprisonment by violating the law? It defies logic.
I never said they pay the illegals the same. To the contrary, in fact, I said (several times) that they are explicitly paying different wages to different people.

To play your favorite game, "quote me."

Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
I never said they pay the illegals the same. To the contrary, in fact, I said (several times) that they are explicitly paying different wages to different people.

To play your favorite game, "quote me."
And also the employers realize that the illegal isn't likely going to notice if taxes were paid in, the illegal doesn't get the social security statement in the mail since he's using a stolen number (felony document fraud).

The employers are very likely pocketing the money since they're obviously willing to break the law by hiring illegals in the first place, why would they then suddenly find some ethics or honesty and pay into taxes when no one is going to notice if they didn't?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The employers are very likely pocketing the money since they're obviously willing to break the law by hiring illegals in the first place, why would they then suddenly find some ethics or honesty and pay into taxes when no one is going to notice if they didn't?
citation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration