Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You can call yourself what you want.
It doesn't mean you are still American. ON Paper you are Mexican if you are in that country legally.
I travel in Mexico legally, does that mean I am a Mexican?...

My wife is here legally, does that make her an American?...

This still isn't an illegal immigration topic...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,677,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I travel in Mexico legally, does that mean I am a Mexican?...

My wife is here legally, does that make her an American?...

This still isn't an illegal immigration topic...
I am not talking about traveling. I am talking about living there permanently.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,441,842 times
Quote:
Interesting article. Even though the title is different than the discussion, It talks a lot about the illegal immigration issue if you read the article on the link.

Title" Soccer Fans in USA Hurt Mexico's Image & Interests"
Americans have this romantic view of immigration. Folks just don't swear off their home countries because they now have access to a USA passport.

The Mexicans are right. I just had discussion with a Nigerian who was born here. He says he's Nigerian not American. How much more people who were actually born and raised overseas. A US Passport is one of convenience it doesn't bestow some mythical re-allegiance.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Americans have this romantic view of immigration. Folks just don't swear off their home countries because they now have access to a USA passport.

The Mexicans are right. I just had discussion with a Nigerian who was born here. He says he's Nigerian not American. How much more people who were actually born and raised overseas. A US Passport is one of convenience it doesn't bestow some mythical re-allegiance.
That is truly sad to feel more of a connection with your ancestor's homeland than the one you were born in. I have no objection to the cultural practices of one's ancestors kept in tact in the home or even speaking their langauge at home but when one starts to choose sides against one's own birth country when it comes to issues like illegal immigration, our laws and other things that show disloyalty towards it, then I would suggest they move back to their ancestor's homelands.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,822 times
Quote:
So, what do you think of the white American retirees who live in San Miguel de Allende (Guanajuato, Mexico). There are around 7,000 of them living in that small Mexican city and another 5,000 or so are from Canada. I don't think they call themselves Mexicans and they chose to move there for the mild climate, low crime rates and lower cost of living. Those foreign residents have opened up a few institutions there that include a public library which has the second largest collection of English language books in Mexico and U.S. consulate. According to wikipedia "there is also a chapter of the Lion's Club (est. 1987). A post of The American Legion and The Veterans of Foreign Wars is located there ,[26] and Mexico's only Audubon Society chapter." I'm not sure how assimilated they are, but it seems to me that they have not forgotten their American roots either with some of those institutions?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The second example is my wife living here as a Legal Permanent Resident...

This is not an illegal immigration topic...

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Possessing a U.S. passport means they have naturalized as a U.S. citizen...

Not an illegal immigration topic...

Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,232,855 times
Quote:
Interesting article. Even though the title is different than the discussion, It talks a lot about the illegal immigration issue if you read the article on the link.

Title" Soccer Fans in USA Hurt Mexico's Image & Interests"
Of course. We all look at Mexicans-Americans and call them Mexicans anyway.
Don't tell me you say "oh, look at the brown American latino, who must be of Mexican decent". LOL...give me a break.

Let's stop calling African-Americans that too while we're at it.

What does this have to do with ILLEGAL immigration?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,049,260 times
I'm not so sure what the topic here is...

A soccer match? Are Mexicans and Mexican Americans the same? Should Mexicans and Mexican Americans never have the option of dual citizenship? Should Mexican Americans give up the love for their cultural roots?

So, let me discuss the soccer match in this post.

Quote:
A recent soccer game illustrated the problem of assimilation in the United States. At the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, the U.S. and Mexican soccer teams faced each other. The audience, mostly composed of American citizens of Mexican ancestry born in the U.S.A., overwhelmingly supported Mexico. Anti-American unsportsmanlike conduct was rampant.
So I am both Mexican and American... Personally, why in the world would I go for the U.S. team when I know darn well that the Mexican team has superior skills? I know many families that were split between the two teams. I know some that had mixed feelings about both teams. Its just a sport and there are no laws against it.

Now, why are people so sure that the majority of the people that attended the Rose Bowl were Mexican American and not Mexican? The game was in Pasadena, CA. The area has a large community of Mexican immigrants. I know many that travelled by car from far away to be there. And Mexicans travel well. I was actually surprised when I attended the Football World Cup in South Africa last year, the opening game was almost 50% in support of Mexico. Oh... and I was hoping for Ghana to be the winner of the WC. Would I be a traitor?

Besides, you all are comparing the overwhelming support for the Mexican team to a sport that has not gained much interest among Americans. This is not American football. I thought it was a shame that there weren't as fans, with no connection to Mexico, supporting the American team.

It has nothing to do with assimilation...none.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,049,260 times
Facing a cultural divide in my mixed marriage - CNN.com

On the other hand, Mexicans and Mexican Americans are different.

Unless you are a Mexican American that has travelled and lived in Mexico, I believe you are more American, as stipulated in the article.

Quote:
Well, it gets talked about a lot at our house. My wife is a legal immigrant who came to the United States as a child and went on to become a U.S. citizen. But, at heart, she considers herself Mexican. You can take the girl out of Guadalajara ...
For my part, I'm a Mexican-American Yankee Doodle Dandy. Born in Fresno, California, to parents who were also born in the United States, I view the world with the eyes of an American.
If you are born and raised in another country, that is your identity. You can like your new environment but no paper changes your cultural identity.

Quote:
This identity crisis is an old story. For the most part, Mexican-Americans -- and there are about 20 million in this country -- aren't sure who or what they are. I would bet that most of us see ourselves primarily as Americans. And yet there is always something out there to make us feel like second-class citizens. Like, say, the state of Arizona.
As stated in the article, Mexican Americans, are often viewed as too Mexican to be American and too American to be Mexican.

In short, Mexicans and Mexican Americans do have a different cultural identity even if they share the same citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.