Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times

Advertisements

I've watched many soccer games in my life. I know what happens at those stadiums. Yes, there is a lot of booing. A lot of beach balls and a lot of yelling. Unfortunately, it also happens even during the national anthems. This is something that I don't like. Some people forget what it is to be patriotic and the respect that is owed to the flag of one's country or the other team's flag.

I wasn't there but I do believe there were some idiots that did it. I don't believe that a great number of people booed the U.S. national anthem. How do I know? If over 80% of the people were for the Mexican team and I could hear the U.S. national anthem very clear on TV or this group of U.S. fans on a youtube, then the media really blew it up.

‪American Outlaws on US National Anthem Gold Cup Final 2011‬‏ - YouTube

In this one you will hear the vuvuzelas at the end of the US National anthem and the beach balls.

‪Gold Cup (Copa Oro) 2011 USA National Anthem at Rose Bowl Final‬‏ - YouTube

In this one, also the US National anthem, you can hear the voices of people in the stadium singing the US National anthem. With less than 20% of the fans, I would say that many of the Mexican fans were Mexican-American singing the US National anthem.

‪USA national anthem at gold cup 2011 final‬‏ - YouTube

Here is the Mexican National anthem at the same game. Over 80% were fans of the Mexican team, you will also see the beach balls during the anthem.

‪Mexico vs usa- mexican national anthem‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So us the cases of other immigrants wildly cheering against the USA team?

I think there could be Germans or Polish for example who do quietly hope their country's team wins but even then I'd wonder why they abandoned their country.

I did once speak with an Irish woman who was insisting on how much better everything is in Ireland and I asked her why she doesn't move back there. She said because she needs the Medicare she's getting here. And yes, I found that rather disgusting.

As far as their patriotism and love for their country - I think it's great -- as long as they live there. If they can't stand the thought of living in their country, working there and helping to make it better, then I think they should restrain themselves just a bit because it makes them look pathetic and obnoxious.

Actually I think the same goes for someone living in Ohio who boasts all the time about the state he left but won't live in. I'm sure there are some American citizen buffoons who do behave boorishly like that - but not huge numbers of them.
I can respect when people say booing the US national anthem is obnoxious but cheering for a favorite team on foreign soil? Please... that is very egocentric thinking.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
http://i.imgur.com/PN3NJ.jpg
Thank you huddledmasses for posting this. I took it from your #4 post of this thread.

I find this to be much worse. At a time when Japan has been through so much with earthquakes, tsunamis why would our own people (US) post such horrible things. A reminder of the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bomb that killed over 250,000 people.

So I guess it is okay to bash Mexican Americans when they are fans of the Mexican team because they are disgusting, traitors and an embarrassment. Any other view is not acceptable. Way to go fellow countrymen. Thanks so much for the love!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 AM

This is for those of you that have never seen a soccer game. Making fun of the opposite team is common.

This is the same Gold Cup 2011 game at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.
A brief summary of the game's highlights.

at :12 US Team- Bradley
1:50 US Team- chicken dance lead by Donovan, mocking the Mex team
5:04 Mexican team-Chicharito & Guardado
5:18 You will see a Mexican couple divided by two teams.

‪Mexico vs USA Copa Oro 2011 Todos los goles de la final Junio 25 del 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Throughout the entire game you hear people yelling, cheering, booing, vuvuzelas, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Wow... a new low malamute. So one Mexican bashes Mexican Americans, it shows that Americans are not alone in hating Mexican Americans? Great! Thanks for your sincerity, at least it is clear now that you hate Mexican-Americans.

How do we know that this one "so called" anonymous poster is not you? I don't see a link. You forgot to translate the entire thing but I will add this part, "You call yourselves Mexican when your own fellow countrymen humiliate you." As in exactly what you are doing right now.
I don't hate "Mexican-Americans" at all, many of those that I know have not recently arrived here by any stretch, some have very long roots in the USA, and many are very very patriotic to the USA. Many "Mexican-Americans" would have supported the USA team if they even went to a soccer game, but a lot actually prefer the American sport of football, lots of Cowboy fans.

I am disgusted by people who come to the USA because they love our money more than they love their own country and then boo the American side because they feel all this fake patriotism to the country they were all too eager to leave.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 AM

87 posts, read 192,589 times
People don't Boo the American Anthem here in Canada. The only people that do/did are from Quebec....they are not really Canadian anyway.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,276 times
When the USA vs Italy game in New Jersey the fans were going for Italy what is the big deal?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM

72 posts, read 105,210 times
Ok, I don't see why this is a big deal? I am British-American and honestly, whenever the US plays the England soccer team, I am firmly behind England. I don't hate the US, but you always have some allegiance to the country you came from and grew up in, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sports. Mexicans are also very passionate about soccer (football). Of course they will get behind their national team and boo the opposition (which is what we do in soccer).

Sorry, I just don't think it should be an issue!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
Ok, I don't see why this is a big deal? I am British-American and honestly, whenever the US plays the England soccer team, I am firmly behind England. I don't hate the US, but you always have some allegiance to the country you came from and grew up in, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sports. Mexicans are also very passionate about soccer (football). Of course they will get behind their national team and boo the opposition (which is what we do in soccer).

Sorry, I just don't think it should be an issue!
It should be if it includes booing our national anthem.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 AM

72 posts, read 105,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It should be if it includes booing our national anthem.
That's also common during soccer games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration