Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,495,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Mexico is a 3rd World nation. It absolutely is a poor nation for most of its citizens. You really have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived there, have you? There is no comparison to Haiti, but then again it's one of the poorest nations in the entire world, so there's little to compare it to.
Aint our probleme. Til Mexico is willing to change its way of doing things, it will keep doing down the tubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,495,835 times
Quote:
There is no excuse for poverty in America either, and yet we have it. And most of Mexico is actually middle class, but by our standards would be in poverty. And of course there is an element of extreme poverty that nothing in America can match.
Then the poor Mexicans need to STAY home and fight for there rights at home.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Undocumented Workers Heading Home | KSEE 24 News - Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia - News, Sports, Weather | Local News

I have heard that many illegal immigrants are now heading back home because of a terrible economy here, stricter enforcement of immigration laws, and a booming economy back home. Mexico's economy enjoys an unemployment rate half that of the US. Similarly, many countries in Latin America have low unemployment and while living conditions may not be to the same standards, having a job is important because many of these immigrants believe in hard work, many times in jobs that Americans flatly refuse to do for various reasons (most glaringly agriculture).

Will this trend continue? Will it reverse again back to the US once the economy recovers? What can the US and international countries do to stem illegal immigration and offer jobs and a better life for their own people?
Hopefully, in the meantime, the US will secure its borders.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,496,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
We can't help ourselves, let alone the rest of the planet. For the first time, I am worried about my own children and their futures. So, yes, deport them all.
There are PLENTY of starving kids here. We need to actually sart taking care of our own. If America is this great and rich country, then there should be no hunger or poverty here. Yet, I see many people losing their jobs and homes, everywhere I look.
Exactly how you state it. Who in the hell takes care of our homeless, our less fortunate, our ill. Those who lost a home, to a Hurricane, Tornado, Mud Slides, Earthquakes. Who is there to lend a helping hand to us, without us asking.

I don't see the rest of the World worrrying about the US and our misfortunes, our young children, who are homeless, would be nice if they did.
I see other Countriues wanting a handout from us, but nothing back from them in return.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,156,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Exactly how you state it. Who in the hell takes care of our homeless, our less fortunate, our ill. Those who lost a home, to a Hurricane, Tornado, Mud Slides, Earthquakes. Who is there to lend a helping hand to us, without us asking.

I don't see the rest of the World worrrying about the US and our misfortunes, our young children, who are homeless, would be nice if they did.
I see other Countriues wanting a handout from us, but nothing back from them in return.
Strange, I can remember several nations during the Katrina disaster, including Mexico, giving money and assistance.

BTW, your point seems to be that if no one helps us, we should not help anyone. So you're all about sinking to everyone else's level, then, huh? No being the better person for you!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,898,005 times
Quote:
There is no excuse for poverty in America either, and yet we have it. And most of Mexico is actually middle class, but by our standards would be in poverty. And of course there is an element of extreme poverty that nothing in America can match.
Your solution to third world poverty is to bring them all to the USA for the good life but that approach cannot be the only answer as there are over 2 billion impoverished people in the world and Mexicans aren't starving by a long shot.

Or should we replace the Mexicans with truly hungry people like the Somalians? If feeling sorry for people is the immigration policy we should have, then we should boot out all the Mexican and start bringing airplanes filled of starving Somalians.

Pity should not be the immigration policy.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,898,005 times
Quote:
Mexico is a 3rd World nation. It absolutely is a poor nation for most of its citizens. You really have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived there, have you? There is no comparison to Haiti, but then again it's one of the poorest nations in the entire world, so there's little to compare it to.
Mexico is not a 3rd world nation.

It's unemployment rate is half what ours is, it's middle class is large and growing, ours is shrinking. Mexico will soon overtake us in obesity rates.

Mexico is a wealthy nation but with some poor people who did not finish school, did not become educated, began giving birth at very young ages and chose to produce children they cannot feed -- not in their country and not in ours without the food stamps, WIC, Medicaid.

Mexico's middle class isn't so different than that of the USA. In order to be middle class, one must finish school at least through high school in most cases, must have some job skills, marriage before starting a family. Those who start reproducing at age 14 or 15 after dropping out of school in the 3rd grade will have a hard time making it to middle class -- in either country.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 AM

283 posts, read 410,911 times
look i am not being a mean crazy woman, but i have been all over this great country and all around the world , i spent one hole year of my life traveling the world with friends and walking it. so i do know what i am talking about. Mexico is a poor country because the people are not truly educated and they don't stand up for themselves and fight for there rights as our great country did. In the next thirty years our population is going to explode and we truly need to do something , we are loosing farms faster than we can handle it. We are not going to have enough food to feed this country if we continue the way we are now. We need to stick up for what is right and just and help those who need helping but we also need to help right here in America. There are thousands of children that go to bed hungry every night and live in shacks right here in America. If you don't believe me go to the Ozarks in Arkansas, go up to the boondocks of Alaska. We need to do something and something quick. We put chemicals in on our food, we put poison in the air, we are over population this country and we don't clean up our own mess. How are we going to help All the Spanish population when we barley help our own people. You asked how i am know a Mexican when i see one. I don't put them all in one basket , there are twenty or so subgroups and if you want know my grandmother was straight from Spain, married a African made my mom, my other grandma was straight from Ireland and married a Africa and made my dad_ I am and always will be a great mix of what this world has to offer. There are millions of foreigner born America's here and I will always treat them as such a America. I am not a Racist. My children's father is black and i am a hole bowl of beautiful people so i am the one that get racist ass treating me wrong. I just want us to take care of what is in our border before we go giving all we have to a nation that only gives it to the rich . We need to empower them, welfare does not work. Education does. My family has given all it has to America and served in ever damn war as far back as the civil war , I have five family members serving right now and if i loose one in the war i know it is what he wanted to fight for his country . We have to learn from our mistakes of the past . We need to start within and work our way out. And Yes i have been to Haiti- 1990 for three months my best friend Barbra Moho-tie is from there and her hole family died in the within a year from aids to war. she is here now and works to bring orphans here to be adopted. so to your question Yes i do Know what i am talking about.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your solution to third world poverty is to bring them all to the USA for the good life but that approach cannot be the only answer as there are over 2 billion impoverished people in the world and Mexicans aren't starving by a long shot.

Actually, my solution has nothing to do with bringing them all here and I've never said anything like it. We are talking about those who are already here. I have no illusions that America can save everyone. We're pretty much up sh*t creek right now as it is. But I do have a moral dilemma in sending people back to situations that could result in the negative consequences I described earlier. Perhaps you can turn a blind eye to it (in the same way that I suspect most of you turn a blind eye to American poverty), but it's just a tad harder for me to accept that having seen it in the flesh.

Or should we replace the Mexicans with truly hungry people like the Somalians? If feeling sorry for people is the immigration policy we should have, then we should boot out all the Mexican and start bringing airplanes filled of starving Somalians.

Pity should not be the immigration policy.
There is absolutely no reason that a logical, reasoned immigration policy cannot include basic human compassion. None.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico is not a 3rd world nation.

It's unemployment rate is half what ours is, it's middle class is large and growing, ours is shrinking. Mexico will soon overtake us in obesity rates.

Mexico is a wealthy nation but with some poor people who did not finish school, did not become educated, began giving birth at very young ages and chose to produce children they cannot feed -- not in their country and not in ours without the food stamps, WIC, Medicaid.

Mexico's middle class isn't so different than that of the USA. In order to be middle class, one must finish school at least through high school in most cases, must have some job skills, marriage before starting a family. Those who start reproducing at age 14 or 15 after dropping out of school in the 3rd grade will have a hard time making it to middle class -- in either country.
I have no doubt that, in many ways, Mexico is improving itself. I've seen that for myself. Also, given that immigration rates are significantly slowing or even reversing in some cases, the economic reasons why so much illegal immigration occurred in the first place may soon be moot. This is good news all around. However, for all intents and purposes, Mexico is still considered the 3rd World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration