Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Iowa has gay marriage. It's not as conservative as people think. Otherwise, I generally agree... and that goes with what I said. The area around the Great Lakes is more progressive than the rest of the Midwest.
I know that Iowa is not North Dakota or South Dakota, but I still don't consider them Progressive.

Indiana confuses me, though. It's got Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio on three of four sides and it's pretty Conservative for the Great Lakes.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,242 times
Quote:
Your first paragraph is just a rehash of everything that you've already said, and somewhat humorous in that you complain that they are uneducated and yet complain when programs exist to help them become educated. Also, you haven't proven anything. You're still claiming a net drag but admit you don't have any actual numbers. This is not how you make an argument.
Stating they are uneducated is simply a statement of facts. It is not our responsibility to educate foreign nationals at public expense. It's also not our responsibility to prove that Latino high school drop outs should be allowed to stay here and break our immigration laws.

Quote:
I'm not the one who is making a claim that illegals are costing us more than they bring in, so the burden of proof is not on me. It's on you and others who make it.
No it isn't. Please prove why illegals should be allowed to stay. You're the one making the argument that illegals should be allowed to break our laws. Please prove why. They are non-English speaking high school drop outs with children largely from Mexico and Central America. Given the fact that our own high school drop outs earn very little, please explain how non-English speaking foreign national high school drop outs are going to be net economic contributors.

Your arugment is not factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Please PM me a list of TV shows you watch and books you read so I can decide if I'm bothered or not.
Please explain why the actions of government officials are none of the American public's business. If a governor wants to advocate for the education of foreign nationals that governor had better be prepared to answer to the American people.

That's called representative democracy. Get over it.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Please explain why the actions of government officials are none of the American public's business. If a governor wants to advocate for the education of foreign nationals that governor had better be prepared to answer to the American people.

what? You totally ignored the question and constructed a gigantic strawman. Your post: it makes no sense.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,776 times
Quote:

"Is it my business what you watch on TV?"
"Yes"
"So what do you watch on TV?"
"The actions of government officials are our business."
"Wat"

Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
"Is it my business what you watch on TV?"
"Yes"
"So what do you watch on TV?"
"The actions of government officials are our business."
"Wat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
what? You totally ignored the question and constructed a gigantic strawman. Your post: it makes no sense.
I am sorry that the two of you are extremely confused about basic arguments on this issue. I strongly suggest that when you go back to school you pay attention this time. Our elected officials are accountable to the American people. Not Mexicans or Guatemalans. Americans. The same is true about what is in the news media or on television. You can't simply do whatever you like. Again I'm sorry you're both confused about this fundamental idea.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,795 times
Nobody here is confused about any of that. But again, nice job muddying the waters, moving the goalposts and dodging the questions.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,776 times
Quote:
I am sorry that the two of you are extremely confused about basic arguments on this issue. I strongly suggest that when you go back to school you pay attention this time. Our elected officials are accountable to the American people. Not Mexicans or Guatemalans. Americans. The same is true about what is in the news media or on television. You can't simply do whatever you like. Again I'm sorry you're both confused about this fundamental idea.
Yeah, not confused.

WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING ON TV?!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
This thread not only got derailed, but it became extremely silly at the same time.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration