Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Oh yeah? Did you read it just now? Because up until this post you seemed to believe that the law only applied to illegal immigrants.
It's for them. They aren't dropping the requirement for Americans to drive with licenses, not even the immigration services guy is talking about Americans.

My point is, they either will have to drop the requirement for everyone to have a drivers license -- after all the guy said EVERYBODY (not just his illegals) needs to drive to work because no one wants to ride a bus or bike after all and that if illegals are going to drive even if they aren't handed licenses, why not include Americans too?

Like I said, the only sensible thing would be to drop the requirement for drivers licenses completely in California, they shouldn't be making or enforcing laws only on American citizens but giving any foreigner a free pass.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,214,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's for them. They aren't dropping the requirement for Americans to drive with licenses, not even the immigration services guy is talking about Americans.

My point is, they either will have to drop the requirement for everyone to have a drivers license -- after all the guy said EVERYBODY (not just his illegals) needs to drive to work because no one wants to ride a bus or bike after all and that if illegals are going to drive even if they aren't handed licenses, why not include Americans too?

Like I said, the only sensible thing would be to drop the requirement for drivers licenses completely in California, they shouldn't be making or enforcing laws only on American citizens but giving any foreigner a free pass.
I guess you actually didn't read it. The law applies equally to everyone, of course.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I guess you actually didn't read it. The law applies equally to everyone, of course.
So why don't they just drop the requirement for drivers licenses? Or do they intend to ask only US citizens or those they profile as citizens for a license?

Why have the law at all? If they intend to not enforce it and accept that EVERYONE including the young, old, citizens, non-citizens, illegals, drunks and whatever need to drive then just get rid of the requirement and costs of licenses.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So why don't they just drop the requirement for drivers licenses? Or do they intend to ask only US citizens or those they profile as citizens for a license?

Why have the law at all? If they intend to not enforce it and accept that EVERYONE including the young, old, citizens, non-citizens, illegals, drunks and whatever need to drive then just get rid of the requirement and costs of licenses.
More of you not reading the article. This isn't about the dropping of the requirement at all. It's not tantamount to non-enforcement. Just read the article, seriously.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,081,075 times
"One Bill Gill's" bill is an attempt to 'not' arrest someone for driving without a license and to allow for a vehicle to have an authorized driver come and pick it up or to have the registered owner come and pick it up without impounding. This is an attempt at not arresting those driving without a license so if they are by chance illegal aliens they are not weeded out and placed into deportation for "not committing a crime of moral turpitude".

From the article:
Quote:
Under the bill, police would have to make a reasonable effort to find either the registered owner of the unlicensed driver's car, or a licensed driver authorized by the registered owner to pick up the car at the checkpoint.
If officers cannot find the registered owner or an authorized licensed driver, they could impound the car. The unlicensed driver could be cited but not arrested.
"We're not condoning driving without a license," said Dan Savage, Cedillo's chief of staff. "But we have to abide by the law, which is the law preventing illegal search and seizures."
And yet, he doesn't want them arrested when the law allows for the arrest. There is no "illegal search and seizure". This is but "spin" by Cedillo and his co-horts.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
More of you not reading the article. This isn't about the dropping of the requirement at all. It's not tantamount to non-enforcement. Just read the article, seriously.
It most definitely IS dropping the requirement for *some* to have licenses to drive. That's my whole point, how are they going to profile Americans when it comes to requiring Americans to show a license but illegals aren't expected to have them?

That's how it works where I live. The cops are careful not to pull over illegals but if they do, they don't bother them about failing to have a license or proof of insurance. The double standard is quite unfair - and actually profiles - but profiling is fine if it benefits the illegals it seems.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
It most definitely IS dropping the requirement for *some* to have licenses to drive. That's my whole point, how are they going to profile Americans when it comes to requiring Americans to show a license but illegals aren't expected to have them?
How many times do I have to say it? If at this point you are reading the article and still think that it allows illegals to drive without licenses but citizens still have to, I don't know what to say. Read better.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM

"In most parts of California, you basically have to have a car," said Mark Silverman, director of immigration policy at the Immigrant Legal Resource Center. "You have to be able to drive to survive, to get anywhere. Because of that, the truth is, immigrant drivers without licenses will be driving anyway because of the necessity. The towing of cars will not stop people from driving."

Shouldn't Americans also be included in this? Don't Americans have just as much a necessity to drive -- whether they have good vision or not, are young or are old? If they can pass a driving test or not? If you're going to accept that illegals have a need to drive whether or not they are licensed, then how can you exclude American citizens from this "necessity", how can you exclude ANYONE? Once you make the false claim that EVERYONE NEEDS to drive, then you're opened a whole big bag of worms. How can you say someone with several DWI's no longer has a need to drive to work? And if you justify illegals driving whether they are given licenses or not, how can you deny anyone their "right to drive" with or without licenses?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 PM

So...you're just going to change the topic? That dude is talking about immigrants or whatever, I don't care. That's not the law itself, which applies to everyone.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
So...you're just going to change the topic? That dude is talking about immigrants or whatever, I don't care. That's not the law itself, which applies to everyone.
Okay, so why not close down all their DPS offices and just get rid of drivers licenses and be done with it?

Or will a license be viewed as some optional expense if someone feels like going through the process? If the state now believes that EVERYONE has some unlimited right to drive, that driving is a necessiity for all, then why bother with licenses at all, the costs of keeping these offices going? Especially if like you claim it's now not required for anyone to have a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration