Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,601 times

Advertisements

The point is not that it's not useful or common to carry ID around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
The point is not that it's not useful or common to carry ID around.
Not useful or common? Well, I imagine for some this is true. However, I find it both useful and common to carry ID, as do most with a legal presence in this country.

No, the point is, some people don’t want to be identified, for obvious reasons, while others have nothing to hide.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not useful or common? Well, I imagine for some this is true. However, I find it both useful and common to carry ID, as do most with a legal presence in this country.
Sigh. Read better - I was saying it is both useful and common. It's just not a legal requirement.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Sigh. Read better - I was saying it is both useful and common. It's just not a legal requirement.
My mistake, I didn’t notice the word NOT.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I had my son fingerprinted and photographed at a local health fair, and his school made photo IDs for all students on an annual basis beginning in kindergarten. Again, common sense. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t want your children to be identified, especially if they were walking home from school or playing outdoors, and had the misfortune of being hit by a car, or abducted by a predator...
When they aren´t required and don´t carry their Residency Card, you read that I wouldn´t have them carry identification? It´s not common sense to have a 9 year-old girl carry her Residency Card ($400+ replacement cost) when she doesn´t have to, and all the relevant data it provides is her name. Maybe you need to identify the ID better.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Common sense is sometimes uncommon...

I raise the point, because a couple years ago I had a debate with a Tea Party couple on the issue of Arizona SB1070. My opening position was to show them the Residency Card of my 9 year-old, and ask them why she wasn't in violation of carrying it with her (she wasn't there with me). After learning that a minor is not mandated to carry it under Federal law, they still maintained she should have it, because their own Granddaughter carried her (Grade School) "Student ID" with her!

We got to the point of my eldest stepdaughter, having a driver's license but not yet 18. They said she should carry her Residency Card nonetheless, because it "could help if there was an accident". When I countered that a Residency Card does not have a human-readable home address or next-of-kin data it still didn't make any difference to them. Nor did they understand that with her driver's license alone, she had the same ID that was adequate for them while driving.

Like many, the couple just wanted all them "Mexicans" able to be identified as Mexicans (no matter what they were doing), even if it didn't have a practical purpose...
Here comes your victim mentality for Mexican's card again. You just had to assume that the couple wanted them "Mexicans" identified as Mexicans based on what, racism? If you don't want your family carrying I.D. that identifies them along with an address and contact person card in case of an accident that is your proagative. Then don't complain when situations arise when carrying that information would have made it easy to have contacted you.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here comes your victim mentality for Mexican's card again. If you don't want your family carrying I.D. that identifies them along with an address and contact person card in case of an accident that is your proagative. Then don't complain when situations arise when carrying that information would have made it easy to have contacted you.
Again, you miss that when I am specifically discussing the Residency Card, it provides no human-readable information about a physical address or next-of-kin...

A Residency Card is not all of the ID, especially the more-appropriate ID, that they could carry...

Both my wife and eldest stepdaughter carry their Residency Cards; That is required for them. We got state-issued ID for my 13 year-old stepson, because of his size (he is bigger than I am). This brings up an interesting conundrum for those saying carrying IDs is ¨helpful¨, especially for children that could become victims or have an accident happen to them:

If that child has no lawful immigration status here, would you allow them to receive state-issued ID?...

Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Again, you miss that when I am specifically discussing the Residency Card, it provides no human-readable information about a physical address or next-of-kin...

A Residency Card is not all of the ID, especially the more-appropriate ID, that they could carry...

Both my wife and eldest stepdaughter carry their Residency Cards; That is required for them. We got state-issued ID for my 13 year-old stepson, because of his size (he is bigger than I am). This brings up an interesting conundrum for those saying carrying IDs is ¨helpful¨, especially for children that could become victims or have an accident happen to them:

If that child has no lawful immigration status here, would you allow them to receive state-issued ID?...
All I am saying is that someone that is not yet a citizen of this country should carry on them whatever appropriate government supplied I.D. that is required of them to carry. If that card/paper doesn't include an address or a contact person on it in case of an accident then they should carry something on them that does provide that information. Sheesh!

If a child has no lawful immigration status here, no they should not be given a state-issued I.D. Geez, for next to nothing a parent themselves can create a card for them to carry that includes their name, address and a contact person.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is that someone that is not yet a citizen of this country should carry on them whatever appropriate government supplied I.D. that is required of them to carry. If that card/paper doesn't include an address or a contact person on it in case of an accident then they should carry something on them that does provide that information. Sheesh!...
Isn´t that what my post on the Residency Card said? If it isn´t required to be carried, and has no practical benefit otherwise, why carry it? But I received a response that I didn´t want my family carrying any ID.

Quote:
...If a child has no lawful immigration status here, no they should not be given a state-issued I.D. Geez, for next to nothing a parent themselves can create a card for them to carry that includes their name, address and a contact person.
A ¨Student ID¨ is not state-issued ID? I´m trying to follow why carrying ID is ¨helpful¨ and practical for those with citizenship and immigration status (even though most ID proves either), but not the case by those lacking immigration status. Don´t we want a more official (photograph and fingerprint) method if a child, any child, is abducted?

Won´t somebody please think of the children?...

Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Isn´t that what my post on the Residency Card said? If it isn´t required to be carried, and has no practical benefit otherwise, why carry it? But I received a response that I didn´t want my family carrying any ID.

A ¨Student ID¨ is not state-issued ID? I´m trying to follow why carrying ID is ¨helpful¨ and practical for those with citizenship and immigration status (even though most ID proves either), but not the case by those lacking immigration status. Don´t we want a more official (photograph and fingerprint) method if a child, any child, is abducted?

Won´t somebody please think of the children?...
I don't rightly know. I would assume it is a school issued I.D. not a state issued one. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure their children have I.D. on them which includes their name, address and a contact person regardless of their status in this country IMO. Is this another one of those things that is going to get beaten to death in here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration